new show about eating healthy....

Options
StrengthInPain
StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
o i was watching the Oscars last night, as i imagine many MFP members were, and i saw a commercial for Jamie Oliver's food revolution.
From ABC's website:

"Yes, Jamie Oliver is here to start a revolution. The impassioned chef is taking on obesity, heart disease and diabetes in the USA, where our nation's children are the first generation NOT expected to live as long as their parents. Now that's scary!

Jamie is inviting viewers to take a stand and change the way America eats, in our home kitchens, schools and workplaces with the thought-provoking new series, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, which debuts FRIDAY, MARCH 26 9/8c on ABC. "

now, i do not work for ABC or the show or anything associated with it... i just wanted to discuss it and provide a little background for everyone. So:

1. America has become so unhealthy that we have to bring in someone from the UK to teach us about nutrition. Now, i'm sure there are plenty of people in the USA that could teach us about nutrition, but apparently we don't listen unless it's on TV, cause then it's gotta be true, right?

2. For the first time, this generation is going to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. Ouch. With all the health reform etc, and not knowing what is going to happen with health care in the future, i think it's super important that the children of America start taking care of themselves. That said, kuddos to all of us here on MFP who are taking the neccessary steps to be more health-conscious.

3. I know the Biggest Loser has been an inspiration to many of us. I won't lie, i'm a little frustrated with all the ads and plugins that take place on the show lately. but i still tune in every once in a while for some exercise motivation. But they don't focus on nutrition nearly as much as i would like, so maybe Jamie Oliver can give us some nutritional motivation! If anything, i can use some new healthy recipes.

Anyway, if anyone tunes in when it comes on, let me know. Just interested to see what people think.

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Yeah, I enjoy BL as a reality show, but they are all about the drama and the challenges. The plugs are just too much for me: Use Ziplock bags to seal in the freshness! lmao

It will be nice if this new show is actually about eating healthy.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If it's the show I'm thinking of, it was filmed in Huntington, WV -- America's obesity capitol. (The city is also branded with having the most smokers per capita and the worst teeth.... When you look at a coal mining area hit hard in recession/depression for many years, you can see the relationship between No Money/ No Healthcare equalling Obesity, Smoking, and Poor Dental care. Anyhow...)

My understanding was he was taking people off the streets, going to the store with them, showing them how to shop and then prepare a healthy meal.

I'm interested to see it.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have always loved Jamie Oliver!!! Used to watch him on the Food Network years ago with his show the Naked Chef. I look forward to his new one!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=Jamie+Oliver&fnSearchType=site

Here is Jamies Bio and info currently on the Food Network. He uses fresh ingredients and has some great recipes. His new show sounds interesting!
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Here's his TED appearance:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/jamie_oliver.html

A great video :-)