Not sure where to start...

I have a ton of weight to lose and have never been a very active person. I'm not sure where to start to get this exercising thing into a habit. I get really discouraged when I try to do videos and classes and I can't keep up then I stop. There is a trainer at the gym in my apartment complex with really reasonable rates but I'm not sure how effective that will be with alot of extra weight, I'm not sure if I should concentrate on cardio or lifting or where to start!!!!!!! Suggestions are always welcome.
Lindsey

Replies

• jesslintch
    jesslintch Posts: 63 Member
    I haven't started working out yet. Since a fit lifestyle is so different for me, I am taking this a step at a time so that it lasts. In the past, I've gone all in and it hasn't stuck. When I do start, I'm probably going to do a short amount of cardio to get going, but focus on strength training. I'm a very big girl. I can't run right now. My @$$ won't fit on a bicycle. I'd feel foolish in any class I tried. But, damn it, I'm strong so I can get in there and lift to make a difference in my body. Then once I'm able to be more active, I'll probably get my cardio through activities I enjoy as opposed to the gym. (dancing, hiking, swimming, running on the road not the treadmill, I'd love to try kayaking, etc.)
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    HI! well I also have a ton to lose but I have found it easy to workout at home. I have three babies but besides that I feel more comfortable at home. There are so many ways to get a workout in...i scrub and mop and burn hundreds of calories. Or jam some salsa and wow I'm sweating! I lift weights also, just 8 or 10 pound and I just stand in front of my TV and lift lift lift until I cant take it anymore. Make sure you stand up straight or you'll risk hurting something! Get a resistance band and connect it to your door and work it out! I have a stationary bike in my bedroom...its watches me and makes me feel guilty until I get my buns up and work it out. Remember this is a life change...we deserve to be lovely and comfortable in our skin. Weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise so whatever u can do just do it. Every day that passes is another day that we arent enjoying life fully...and life is too short for all that jazz! Good luck and lots of love to ya.l
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    In all honesty, the best thing to do is something you will stick with. Regular exercise no matter if you are strength training or doing cardio is important to weight loss. If you aren't going to stick with any exercise routine then I wouldn't bother at all. I work with a woman who is very over weight. We both belong to the same gym and are allowed to take a 90 minute lunch break provided we spend that time exercising. I do this 5 days/week, my coworker will go through phases where she will go a few time/week for a couple of weeks then she won't go again for 6 months. In her mind she is working out regularly but can't figure out why she doesn't lose any weight.

That said It's my belief that you should combine strength training with cardio. Cardio will give you faster fat loss results, but building more muscle will benefit you more in the long run. This is because the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn when you are sedentary.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    I am going to make a statement that will cause some disagreement.

Exercise is NOT about weight loss.

You can not outrun your fork. In order to lose weight you need to manage your eating, and eat under your calorie requirements.

Exercise is important for the health and fitness of your body. To this end, you need to do what you can support. If you have a LOT of weight to lose, start small, Use NEAT (Park your car further away from the store, Walk to the corner market instead of driving, Make more trips up and down the stairs, use the bathroom at the other end of the office/home/building and so on).

Once you start adding more movement to your day, start thinking about walking a couple of times a week.

As you get more comfortable in your body, contact the trainer and ask him/her to help you with a weight lifting routine. This is important, cause it will help tone your body and also is VERY good in helping your body get into shape.

Once you have built up your walking and you have energy to do more, start looking at other cardio type exercise. Find things that you like, Riding Bike, Running, Swimming, Doing Classes with other people. I actually really enjoy just getting on a cardio machine, cause it helps me with my stress and keeps me even and focused.

Start slow, and build up. These are habits you need/want to add to your life to give you a healthy body.

Good Luck!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Just move more.

Start by walking..a little farther/longer each day.

Get up and move during commercials (do the twist, knee raises, arm circles, step touch, make laps around your house, or anything other than sitting...I love to do TaeBo kicks); you may feel silly, but soon you'll work up to moving throughout even the longest of commercial breaks, and then, you'll be proud. :flowerforyou:
  • thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    RH Sheetz is a smart man and I agree with him 100%!

Any trainer or lifestyle coach I have ever spoken with told me it is 75% kitchen and 25% 'gym'.

You are in the right place to start by logging everything you eat. I used to always start by working out right away. I found with me anyways this time around I changed my eating habbits first...I didn't even worry about exercise. I kept to the strict 1200 calories, and tried to eat as clean as possible. I logged everything that went in, even gum. THEN when I felt in control I started walking on my lunches, and then started yoga. In the past if I started by working out first, I found I was always hungry, and ate way more. This way my body got used to the lower calories first, I was still hungry but it was easier to deal with when I wasn't sore and tired too!

Find something you like to do...Walking was a great start for me...I got a good pair of shoes and an Iphone, plugged in my tunes and would walk every lunch hour.

I love my yoga, and that's my thing...for you it may be something else. But for me it can't feel like a gym class, it has to be something I love...

GOOD LUCK! It's the hardest thing you'll ever do, but then you'll get there and go 'that wasn't as hard as I thought it was, and why did I wait so long?!'
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    RH Sheetz is a smart man and I agree with him 100%!

Me too, I have seen a lot of posts today going on about exercise when you are overweight...exercise on its own is not going to shift the fat, eating properly will (at a deficit).
  • JEWIM1
    JEWIM1 Posts: 8 Member
    I don't know about you, but I am an all or nothing girl. I need to count my calories AND exercise. I can't do one or the other, and I shouldn't anyway. I would start with the trainer. Don't be intimidated. They are there to help you!!! And to push you! It is so awesome to be doing things you never knew you could. It feels great! If you simply don't feel ready yet? Turn on Biggest Loser and walk in your living room. You will work up a sweat that you won't believe! And you get tons of inspiration and ideas. You can do it!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I am going to make a statement that will cause some disagreement.

Exercise is NOT about weight loss.

You can not outrun your fork. In order to lose weight you need to manage your eating, and eat under your calorie requirements.

Exercise is important for the health and fitness of your body. To this end, you need to do what you can support. If you have a LOT of weight to lose, start small, Use NEAT (Park your car further away from the store, Walk to the corner market instead of driving, Make more trips up and down the stairs, use the bathroom at the other end of the office/home/building and so on).

Once you start adding more movement to your day, start thinking about walking a couple of times a week.

As you get more comfortable in your body, contact the trainer and ask him/her to help you with a weight lifting routine. This is important, cause it will help tone your body and also is VERY good in helping your body get into shape.

Once you have built up your walking and you have energy to do more, start looking at other cardio type exercise. Find things that you like, Riding Bike, Running, Swimming, Doing Classes with other people. I actually really enjoy just getting on a cardio machine, cause it helps me with my stress and keeps me even and focused.

Start slow, and build up. These are habits you need/want to add to your life to give you a healthy body.

Good Luck!

^^^^^ this. i also want to add you've already started - you joined here. that's the first step and i honestly think it's the biggest because you're putting everything out there for everyone to "see".
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    I have no intentions to exercise until my BMI goes back into the normal range (25). I just don't feel like jumping around with all that flab. So for me it's currently 100% eating and 0% exercise.

Unfortunately, 15 more lb and I will need to start doing something. (And already dreading the moment.)
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    I stared out by walking three times a week at a very slow pace (trust me when I say very slow) after time I gradually increased the pace and frequency so I was walking 6 days a week. Once I felt good with that I bought an elliptical for home and started doing that 3-4 times a week and would walk the other days. Now I do cardio 6 days a week and see a personal trainer. I am going to try a kick boxing video at home tonight.
    So just start slow and don't expect to run any marathons right away, it will all come in time!
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    I started out with nutrition and then joined curves for 6months. I learned about toning up and streching and muscles.Then after my time was up i've started cardio max and still stick with nutrition changes. This is about life changes and what i'll do for the rest of my life. You'll make it and figure out whats best for you. At first I dreaded working out and yes even skipped a few sessions as curves but then I started to look forward to my trips and started loving myself more if even scale wasn't moving so much. I've only lost 6lbs since Oct but i've lost around 20" total body and I'm getting to be more comfy in my skin. (I'm a pretty big girl, lol). Take it one step at a time and you'll become stronger everyday!!! God bless
  • move257
    move257 Posts: 313
    hahaworkout_zps5925111a.jpg
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Well... If we're suggesting things like Tug Toner... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MzzLsJEzR8

33157254.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • move257
    move257 Posts: 313
    Well... If we're suggesting things like Tug Toner... :wink: