Frozen Vegetables...

Options
Hey guys!

I'm a student at university, therefore I'm living off a student loan and whatever money I get from my part-time job (I work at a bar... 4am finishes, not good for sleeping patterns! hehe). Anyway I feel like I struggle with the whole healthy eating thing, I love healthy food, but it's so expensive! fresh fruit and veg can be expensive and go off really quickly, which isn't ideal. At the moment the only kind of vegetables I'm getting is frozen mixed vegetables... is this bad? I need some tips on healthy eating on a budget!!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find eating healthy much cheaper than not. Try eating whatever produce is local and/or in season, as the price will be much lower due to high supply.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen veggies all the time when I can't get good fresh stuff. Handy,,, rip open the bag, drop in the steamer and eat. Never hurt us a bit.
  • mrsgiffin
    mrsgiffin Posts: 122
    Options
    If you go to the grocery store once a week and only buy enough for that week for fruits and veggies anyway, they won't go bad. I usually try to divide them up into 100 calorie ziplocks when I get them too, so I know how much I am eating when I eat them. Also, they are so easy just to grab and go if they are already cut up. Good Luck!

301739.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kazmor
    kazmor Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi,

I don't think frozen veg is bad,to be honest the majority of the time the veg I eat has been frozen. I don't have time to nip to the shops to buy in fresh veg during the week so I try to buy fresh produce for over the weekends and rely on the frozen sort during the week. I guess if your getting some fresh fruit along the way then your taking on board your nutrients etc. Just don't try to boil your veg,gently steaming is a better alternative.

;-)
  • skdehen
    skdehen Posts: 24
    Options
    Fruits and veggies start to lose some of their nutrients as soon as their picked, so the frozen veggies are just as good if not better then the ones that have traveled on a truck to get to you. The only thing you need to becarefull of is the canned. Sometimes the have added sodium to help preserve them.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    if frozen veggies are what fit for you and your life then thats great! yes fresh is best but we cant all afford everything and do what we have to!! frozen veggies are better than NO veggies!

:flowerforyou: