Budget Dieting

Options

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm on a budget too and have to feed a family of 5 so I know how hard it is. We eat a lot of chicken...I try to find it on sale at one of the nearby grocery stores and when I do I usually buy a few packages. This week I bought the chicken tenderloins in a bag. Not my first choice but they were on sale for 2 3lb bags/$5. I also buy the romaine hearts and some tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocados for my lunchtime salad (usually with a hard boiled egg or two) and eat eggs almost every morning for breakfast. Someone shared this website this weekend too...which I really enjoyed.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com

I also only buy frozen veggies in the winter time because they are cheaper, generally have more nutrition than the out-of-season fresh counterparts, and don't go bad.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    The trick is to buy your meat on sale and in bulk when it is and freeze it. I'll buy purdue split chicken breasts when they're on sale for $1.99 a pound. I can turn two breasts into a pot of vegetable rice chicken stew that lasts for many meals all week. I also shop at Aldi for fresh vegetables at a fraction of the cost of Kroger...they also have great frozen vegetables for $1. Their oats are $2 for a huge canister...and the eggs there are always the best price..also buy those for two weeks at a time when they go down to .69.

It is amazing how much you can save when you put your mind to it..and eat healthy..and then you look back and feel silly for buying food at high prices just because it is easy.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the key is planning - if you buy something and only need half for a recipe plan to cook something else with the rest so that it doesn't go to waste. also cook from scratch - use things like dried beans and i think frozen veg is better than canned (retains more nutrients) if fresh is too expensive - but do stick to seasonal. I'm in UK so think we might have it a bit easier. But I really think planning is key - just buy what you need. Stretch meat out by padding it out with veg/pulse. I made a chilli con carne and added red lentils once - could hardly tell the difference. Buy cheap cuts if meat just cook longer and also meat on the bone - I buy a whole chicken and joint it and make a stock with the carcass for soups...much cheaper than buy just breast meat. It might take a while getting used to but once you get into the swing of it stuff like that will come 'naturally' and take less time.
    Agree easier not to have junk in the house but just use it up, add veg and just log the calories as someone else suggested. i don't know where you live but 'ethnic' shops in UK are often far cheaper for buying things like rice and lentils - perhaps it's the same where you are.

Good luck!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Aldi and other discount stores are great. I'm in Iowa and we have a chain called Fareway. Not as pretty when you walk in, but it's got the same stuff and averages about 25% less than the other grocery chains in my area.

I agree coupons (in our house) are worthless because it's pre-packaged food. Watch for sales on chicken breasts and what not and stock up. If you live in a quasi-rural area, look into buying a quarter beef. See if family will go in on it with you. I split a quarter once a year and it's enough beef to get us thru the year. (we eat it maybe once or twice a week). It is an investment up front, but generally your per pound price is less than what you pay at the grocery store.

Also, consider making your own whole wheat bread. I make 2 loaves on Sunday at about $1.50 per loaf. Compared to the $4.50 price tag at the store (and no added sugars) -- it's worth the $3 per loaf savings. Giving me an extra $6 a week for fruits and veggies. And then I watch for the sales on veggies. Cauliflower on sale - we're having roasted cauliflower, etc. It can be done. I feed a family of 4 on about $75 a week -- that includes my kindergartener carrying her lunch everyday, as well as me and then dinners.

Oh, and Aldi has great organic frozen fruits - which I use to make my kids homemade fruit roll-ups. AND, I work full-time and my husband travels about 30 weeks a year (and I'm single mom during that time). It's tough. It means budgeting your time too, but it can be done.

And the best tip for saving money is really simple. Plan your meals. If you have exactly what you are planning and buy only for that, you will save money. I used to make a mid-week stop at the store and drop $80 easy on what seemed like nothing. If you plan ahead, you can have healthy, nutritious meals with plenty of fruits and veggies without spending a lot of money.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, and chicken! All reasonably cheap! lol.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I don't know what your budget is or where you live...
    I am in Nova Scotia so fish of any sort is CHEAP! which helps.
    But also canned tuna perhaps.
    You can also make the things you ARE buying healthier... like whole wheat pasta (or if you shop at Superstore, "blue menu" stuff is always lower in fat and calories).
    Whole wheat breads that are lower in cals than other brands, etc. So reach for the lower cal and fat version of the foods you normally buy.
    I buy skimmed milk rather than 2% or higher and this saves cals.
    Also, instead of frying potatoes, try boiling and have without butter.
    Salads can be cheap to make depending on the veggies you choose to add.
    Leave out the sauces (ketchup, BBQ sauce, tartar sauce) because these are unnecessary cals.
    Switch from juices or pop to just water (free!!!).
    Instead of buying pasta maybe buy rice or an alternative that is not as high in calories.
    Eggs are full of protein (which is filling) and not very expensive.
    Apples with a bit of peanut butter are yummy and inexpensive, same with bananas.
    Buying frozen veggies can be inexpensive and is a good way to avoid having food spoil.
    Rather than buying things like sausages, next time reach for some chicken or fish.

It is no secret that fatty, high cal, processed foods are cheaper (part of the reason we have the "obesity" epidemic. This is what is affordable and easy! So, it is a matter of taking more time to read labels, do some research, take time to cook more, etc. Another tip is to cook things that make several portions/meals and then you can even freeze some of it for a later time! So stews, soups, roasts, etc.

Best wishes!!!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Also, consider making your own whole wheat bread. I make 2 loaves on Sunday at about $1.50 per loaf. Compared to the $4.50 price tag at the store (and no added sugars) -- it's worth the $3 per loaf savings.

Where the crap are you buying bread that costs THAT much!?!? It is about 1.99-2.50 a loaf here (Nova Scotia).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There are tons of cheap options for nutritous eating:

Eggs
    Beans
    Rice
    Frozen Veggies (buy on sale)
    In season produce - buy on sale
    Canned veggies (get the low sodium option)
    Pasta
    Soup
    Frozen chicken
    Cheap cuts of beef and pork (cook in the crock pot)
    Oatmeal (buy in bulk - not in packets)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'd eat through what you have, while monitoring caloric intake as best you can. No need to replace everything you already have if it's going to cause undue financial strain.

Then learn to cook. Eating healthy isn't as expensive as many seem to think. When I cut all pre-processed food out of my family's diet and replaced it with fresh fruit, veg, meat and fish my grocery bill went down not up. Also learn to cook good food with cheaper cuts of meat and fish. Make food in larger quantities than needed and freeze for quick lunches or dinners on the days you don't want to cook. Lentil soup is one of my faves for this - cheap, easy, nutritious and tasty, it doesn't get much better than that.

Oh, and invest in a cheap crock pot. Great way to turn cheaper cuts of meat into tasty meals.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions sizes of the unhealthy stuff and add some healthy stuff to it (veggies and fruits, etc.). When you shop again just start buying healthier alternatives. I understand being on a budget and not being able to toss everything out and start fresh.

^^^THIS^^^

I have a pantry full of boxed potatoes and hamburger/tuna helper from when it was on sale and I wasn't eating very well. I use it a couple of times a week and always leave the butter otu and the milk too if I can. I add broccoli bits in to have some veg. And I am NOT buying any more of it, just using what I have.

Also-you can boil, bake etc. a potato. You DO NOT have to fry it.

Google Bountiful Basekts and see if there's one in your area. It's a produce co-op and it has helped us to eat a LOT more fruit and veg at a much lower cost than the grocery store.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    FREEZER BAGS + LEAN PROTEIN ON SALE IN BULK !! Actually anything healthy you can freeze in bulk :)

QFT!

Definitely utilize the freezer! Remember that frozen veggies are every bit as healthy as fresh veggies since they are picked and frozen at the peak of freshness AND they don't have that pesky sodium.

Until the "junk" is out of the house completely lower the portion size and have some veggies on the side.

Personally I LOVE the Lipton Sides with a can of tuna in them. But I haven't had any in a while.

And eat as "raw" as possible. Raw beans are a LOT cheaper than canned. Just soak them in water overnight. Check out your local grocery stores to see when the manager marks down meats and fresh veggies. Buy them and what you don't use that day or the next freeze it! You can freese green peppers slices no problem.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    oh, and the dollar stores for your toiletries, paper towels, etc. i just discovered this little bit of knowledge and save tons on my cleaning supplies - this coming from a die hard Target shopper. i've just had to rethink where i shop. oh, and meals like stuffed peppers - green peppers aren't expensive. use brown rice. some hamburger. onion. tomato sauce. season the heck out of it. and a little cheese on top. pretty healthy, cheap meal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies, absolutely. This way you can buy on sale or at Aldis and stock up and it won't spoil before you can use it. Buy the family size chicken package and spend a day cooking ahead and eat it all week in different things. Buy the big package of ground beef when it is on sale and make a big batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze it it separate zip lock freezer bags for several meals. (you can wash the freezer bags and re-use them as long as the zip lock thing is still good so you should only need to buy one box of those).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Coupons!!!
  • Lib_B
    Options
    That's what a loaf of the 'healthiest' grocery store breads go for...
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well I am back and ready to start eating better and feeling better again. I just recently stopped smoking (11/4/12) and gained 12 pounds as a result. This was after logging and dieting for 2 months and losing 10 pounds.
    Now those cravings to smoke are gone and I want to lose this extra weight.
    The motivation is there. What I lack is the money.
    I have a cabinet full of Lipton Pasta mixes and Spaghettios. I did well all day yesterday but when I got home from work, all I had to make was smoked sausage and fried potatoes. The other alternative was not eating at all.
    I don't have to money to go out and buy all new healthy foods. I wish I could.
    Any suggestions on how to eat healthy on a budget? I'm really stuggling here.

this is probably harsh, but what about all the money you were spending on cigarettes?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi store anywhere near you (I know they exist in the EU and the States..) they sell VERY cheap fresh produce.
    Also, frozen chicken breast/fish fillets can work out really cheap and you don't have to worry about them spoiling in the refrigerator. Frozen veggies are a godsend too, throw two cups of mixed frozen veggies in a pan with a cup of water, put the lid on, steamed and ready.

I don't know what the prices are like where you are, but as a quick example, 1kg of frozen chicken breast in the UK is about £4.84 or $7.80. That's a lot of chicken for not much money.
  • dkoroschetz
    dkoroschetz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? They have affordable prices and lots of healthy choices. I'm on a budget too but I can shop for a family of 4 on about $150 and get lots of healthy food
    My wife and I do this. If you have an aldi around, you're doing yourself a disservice by not going.

There is an Aldi's in a neighboring city about 15 minutes from us BUT I'm scared to go to the plaza the Aldi's is located in!!!

I try my darndest to stay on point with breakfast and lunch while I'm at work and then at dinner, I eat what we have at home and try to keep it healthier. I usually have a light bagel (purchased online in bulk and frozen extras), egg whites/1 whole egg, sometimes a yogurt for a snack and a salad for lunch.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Farmers Markets can be a life saver!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link Kiki!!

One thing I didnt see in the posts I read was buying meat that has been marked down. Grocery stores mark down a lot of meat in the evenings to make room for newer stuff. I mainly shop Wal-Mart and try to go later in the evenings. I score LOTS of deals (25-50% off) on fresh meat of all kinds! What I do not plan on using within a few days, I just toss in the freezer!

I MISS ALDI'S!!!! I used to go there ALL the time in TX. Too bad there isn't one in MS!!!! :-(

And YES, Farmers Markets are awesome!! You will be amazed what you can pick up with $20!