Struggling to eat more than 1500 calories daily

Options
Annewx
Annewx Posts: 11 Member
I'm not sure if you can see my food log but if you can I wouldn't mind some pointers! - my "snacks" section is divided into 2, usually once at 11:30am and again at 4:30pm.

I am finding it hard to eat more than that or even reach my goal of 1,800 calories. I have set my macro ratio to 40/30/30 and it says I should eat 135g protein daily (I am 113lbs and I am about 5ft tall)

I have heard that you shouldn't eat too much protein as it can affect your kidneys at a later stage so I am trying to stay at around 100g and therefore I'm finding myself restricting my carbs.

I am just looking to shed this layer of fat over my mid section and gain muscle overall.

EDIT: I have just figured out how to add "mid morning" and "late afternoon" sections to my diary so it's looking slightly muddled at the moment!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Stop using light salad cream...use full fat. Or use a healthy oil mixed with vinegar on your salad.

Add some nuts, seeds or sliced avocado to your salads.

Your baked chicken is only 110-ish calories...how about cooking it in some healthy fat like olive oil. I tablespoon can bump you up 100-odd calories.

Stir fry your veg in healthy oil

Stop using egg whites and use the whole egg- the yolk will bump up the calories AND nutrition, as that is where most of the nutrients are.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I try to always eat the full fat versions of everything anyway - who knows what kind of crap they put in the low fat versions to make them act the same?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Stop using light salad cream...use full fat. Or use a healthy oil mixed with vinegar on your salad.

Your baked chicken is only 110-ish calories...how about cooking it in some healthy fat like olive oil. I tablespoon can bump you up 100-odd calories.

Stop using egg whites and use the whole egg- the yolk will bump up the calories AND nutrition, as that is where most of the nutrients are.
    This.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    who knows what kind of crap they put in the low fat versions to make them act the same?

Exactly!

no need to be afraid of butter and olive oil and natural things. much more reason to be afraid of chemical *kitten* and like aspartam already proven to induce cancer in rats.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    As some have suggested, add more calorie dense foods to your diet.

Example: Nautral peanut butter, nuts/seeds, avocados, cook with EVOO or coconut oil, and eat full fat dairy.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.

Aw, now I'm all hungry.

To echo previous responses: switch to full fat versions of things, eat more avocados, nuts, and seeds
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

^^^this...

You're pretty low on your fats. Get some more fats and you will up your calories easily without really adding much more food. Definitely like the whole egg suggestion...an egg is really good for you and is chalked full of heart healthy omega 3 fats, etc...but all of those nutrients are in the yolk. I'm also a big fan of nuts (almonds in particular)...1oz packs around 160 calories and again, is chalked full of heart healthy fats, potassium, and protein.

Don't worry too much about your protein. If you have your macros at 40c/30p/30f you're doing good. Generally kidney issues only arise when a diet is over 30% protein...and really, there are a host of other factors there as well. Keep it at 30% and you're fine.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Try:adding cheese, or yogourt, or an egg to breakfast, Try 3 oz (85 grams) of tuna at lunch and with mayonaisse or full fat salad cream. Try increasing your meat portion at dinner to 4 oz (113 grams). Have a glass of milk. (skim or low fat) or a smoothie with fruit and yogourt or silken tofu. Allow yourself some butter an olive oil. Snack on nuts.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Your protein number seems a bit high to be honest. Try to aim for 1g of protein per LBM.

Also, 1800 calories if you are 5 foot and 113 pounds sounds high if you are trying to shed fat...but you also said you want to gain muscle...so you are doing two conflicting things.

You eat at a deficit to shed weight(muscle + fat) and you eat at a bulk to increase weight(muscle + fat)...how you break down your macros and workout will dictate how much of each you will lose/gain when doing either path.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more advice, but right now you need to figure out what you want to do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Your protein number seems a bit high to be honest. Try to aim for 1g of protein per LBM.

Also, 1800 calories if you are 5 foot and 113 pounds sounds high if you are trying to shed fat...but you also said you want to gain muscle...so you are doing two conflicting things.

You eat at a deficit to shed weight(muscle + fat) and you eat at a bulk to increase weight(muscle + fat)...how you break down your macros and workout will dictate how much of each you will lose/gain when doing either path.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more advice, but right now you need to figure out what you want to do.

That's not true. I'm 5'1 and eating 1800 and still losing. It depends on your TDEE.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It also depends on OP's activity level. They may need to less or more. I'd suggest double checking.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Also, is there a reason you are trying to get to about 98-100lbs? Have you thought about including weight training into your exercise routine and aiming for a bodyfat % instead of of a goal weight?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

That's not true. I'm 5'1 and eating 1800 and still losing. It depends on your TDEE.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It also depends on OP's activity level. They may need to less or more. I'd suggest double checking.

I agree! Also, you can not increase your fat-free mass (muscle) while under a calorie deficit. I would recommend finding out what your true TDEE is and create your deficit from there (usually 250-300 calories below TDEE). The link Joylia provided is a great read!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Also, is there a reason you are trying to get to about 98-100lbs? Have you thought about including weight training into your exercise routine and aiming for a bodyfat % instead of of a goal weight?
    I missed this. Where did she say this?
  • Annewx
    Options

I have recently started reading New Rules of Lifting for Woman, in there i have worked out that my BMR is around 1200, my TDEE is 1800 and on days I do work out i need to eat at around 2000. Obviously i have only been using it as a guide to see what i need to do.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    as others have said your food isnt dense enough... for example you could eat a chipotle burrito....just one and be over your macros/calories. Its all about figuring out the right choices, Theres always ways to reduce or add if you try hard enough

cheers
  • Annewx
    Options

I too have missed where you have got this from? If its anywhere on my profile - i created this account a long time ago and recently over the past few weeks I have started to use this. Mainly to fix up my eating habits first. And yes I have been weight training..
  • Annewx
    Options
    as others have said your food isnt dense enough... for example you could eat a chipotle burrito....just one and be over your macros/calories. Its all about figuring out the right choices, Theres always ways to reduce or add if you try hard enough

cheers

Unfortunately I like in the UK and we dont have yummy food like burritos! Well - not as easily available as elsewhere!

But thanks everyone for your advice, I will have to do a bit more food shopping and see what I can come up with!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I too have missed where you have got this from? If its anywhere on my profile - i created this account a long time ago and recently over the past few weeks I have started to use this. Mainly to fix up my eating habits first. And yes I have been weight training..

Sorry yes. I was looking at your profile and I apologize. Miscalculated. I took the weight you were trying to lose total and not the 3kg..my bad! Is that still your goal?
  • Annewx
    Options

Sorry yes. I was looking at your profile and I apologize. Miscalculated. I took the weight you were trying to lose total and not the 3kg..my bad! Is that still your goal?

Well I don't really have a goal weight as I know muscle weighs more than fat so since I have started weight training I rarely weigh myself.

Just been doing a lot of reading - my main goal is to have nice abs (!! Don't we all) so I started this journey in the kitchen which is why I wanted advice about my eating!