BEER

Options
13»

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking beer for the most part (unless it's one or two for the taste.) If i want a buzz- i drink liquor. Under 400 calories and I can have a nice buzz. At least half of what it would take me with beer. That said, i'm pretty sure beer is part of the reason I GAINED weight. If you're drinking 7 or 8 beers 2 or 3 times a week you're probably cancelling out your calorie deficit. In short, I think you'll have better results if you cut back.

Alcohol is a funny thing. It's kind of like a fat, because it has 7 calories per gram (strange, the things the fermentation process does!) The thermic effect of it, however, is similar to protein (i.e. a worth-mentioning-percentage of the calories from it are burnt off from the digestion process itself.) Additionally, it's theorized that it interferes with protein synthesis.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

lean gains has some good info on alcohol.

P.S. Alcohol suppresses fat oxidation. If your drinking is accompanied by lousy food choices (mine was!) it will derail your efforts even more so.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Beer is part of the food pyramid, isn't it!?!

I budget one beer (and a good beer at that) into my daily calories.