Redneck Ring Guard

Options
After *almost* losing my anniversary ring, and finding the plastic ring guards
useless,
my hubby came up with this idea: WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!

He tied fishing line to it. It's a SNELL KNOT using 14 # test line

He's my hero!

weddingringfishingline_zps1144471c.jpg

weddingringfishinglineonhand_zpsfb3ac979.jpg

Replies

• HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    what is it?

I'm in a similar situation, I've lost a lot of weight, plus my fingers are smaller in the cold of winter than in the summer, so I've nearly lost my wedding band several times. I've tried both the plastic ring guard (uncomfortable and comes off too easily) and the metal one (reasonably comfortable but comes off after a few days of wear).
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    what is it?

Oops, sorry. I labelled the picture in my album, forgot to add it to the message body.

Revised my original post.

It's a snell knot, made with 14 lb. test line.

Hope you or someone you know can tie the knot for you.
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Love it.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You can use yarn to do the same thing.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Except that yarn holds the moisture and dirt more than the fishing line.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

Except that yarn holds the moisture and dirt more than the fishing line.

But it has the added bonus of attracting blue haired octagenarians.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan on gaining the weight back.. try having it resized. . :wink:
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Great idea....I've lost my ring twice....once was in the deer woods and it took me two hours to find it....thank god for metal detectors
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options

^^ Definitely on my to-do list. I just want to wait until the summer, because my hands swell in the heat, if I get it resized in the winter it my be too tight in a few months <stupid weird body!>
    Options

Some of us want to wear it now. Having it resized is a permanent thing, once I've reached maintenance and
    KEPT it off.
    Options

Been there, done that. I'm married, not going steady with my boyfriend's class ring.:laugh:
  • You can use yarn to do the same thing.

Been there, done that. I'm married, not going steady with my boyfriend's class ring.:laugh:

LOL, Jill, you always make me laugh!!!
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP a few months ago (8 lbs off so far) and was just doing a google search for ring guards - my engagement ring has gotten quite loose. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it led me back to these message boards.

Thanks for the handy tip! I had some clear thread in my sewing supplies, about the weight of button&carpet thread. I'm not familiar with fishing knots but did another google search and successfully wrapped my ring.