Stop With the Muscle Weighs More Than Fat Myth...

Options

Replies

• barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Can we talk about something new and fresh like cardio vs weight training or thigh gaps?

I want some thigh gaps!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Can we talk about something new and fresh like cardio vs weight training or thigh gaps?

I want some thigh gaps!

u1WWqW6nSk-mlfEOGatkpA2.gif
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree that a pound is a pound whether fat or muscle. However, I don't think people mean it literally; I think what is meant is that you initially add muscle more quickly than you lose fat so you often see that initial gain of weight. Eventually, I think you find it harder to build muscle, yet you continue to burn fat so you start losing weight. My two cents :--) .
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    OMG, I can't believe there is another thread on this. It's like a freaking Hydra - cut one head off and two more grow in it's place! LOL Just to add my own geeky spin on it ... The force of attraction between any two bodies known as gravity is equal to G(m1*m2)/(r*r) where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the respective masses of the two objects and r is the distance between the center of masses of the two objects. G, as it's name implies, is a constant. One of the objects is the Earth (let's say m1) and is obviously constant assuming our measurements are taken on the same planet. The distance between the center of mass of the Earth and the object is essentially identical if the two objects are in the same proximity. Indeed the equation for weight is generally reduced to W = gm where g = Gm1m2/(r*r) which turns out the be the acceleration of an object due to gravity. So given that g is assumed to be the same for two objects in the same proximity, the only variable that comes into play in determining the weight of an object is that object's mass. So 1kg of fat will indeed weight the same as 1 kg of muscle. However, given that the density of muscle is greater than that of fat, 1 kg of fat will occupy more space than 1 kg of muscle. So it could be said that it takes less muscle to make up a pound that it does fat. Hence the common saying "muscle weighs more than fat".
    Sure, go ahead and use Newtonian physics, if you're willing to settle for an approximation. :laugh:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    74647593_wtf_gif.gif
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    ...aaaaaaaaand troll successful.

/end of line
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm so sick of hearing this... 1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat. A pound of anything is the same as a pound of something else. 1 pound of feathers weighs the same as 1 pound of lead. The laws of physics/math still apply in the fitness world.
    I am afraid that I'll have to break the news to you. One cubic inch of muscle does indeed weigh more than one cubic inch of fat. You are mistaken in your assumption that only the weight is referenced. Volume is a given.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    ....clearly it is meant to be volume....
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    There-there; take your medications.
    It's going to be all right.
  • mike4beingfit
    Options
    Good thought, but as I am noooo way even near expert but I understand that fat holds toxins; our bodies marvelous way of protecting us :) ! Where as lean muscle helps us to do the things we need and Love to do!! Mo muscle, helps in everything. And it does look mo better yes?
  • neiljbrady
    neiljbrady Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's easy to see where the confusion comes from.

If you take a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, and set them in a bath tub, the pound of fat will float and the pound of muscle will sink. So, obviously, the pound of muscle is heavier.
    I'm a Scuba Instructor and have to get people the right weights for neutral buoyancy. The more muscular one (same weight) takes less weights than the one that has less muscle. (fat floats)
  • 91MoreRep91
    Options
    It was a post "fullofwin" :)
  • alminejoey
    Options
    ok can anyone help me? i am 5ft 4 and weigh 11st 6.5 and i have been on fitness pal for couple of months and been religiously adding foods diet and water. some days i struggle to est my calories as i am a gardener as my job and then i have a little boy who keeps me active plus i go nordic walking twice a week!! i am not losing weight instead since starting gardening i am much butcher and seem whatever i do i havent put on weight but im not losing!!! any ideas on things to try?

thanks chrissy
  • alminejoey
    Options
    by the way the piccy on my profile was how i used to look before gardening lol xx
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Muscle DOES weigh more than fat. That's why it takes more fat to equal a pound than it takes muscle to equal a pound. People say "muscle weighs more than fat" they DON'T say "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat". Those are two completely different statements. A pound is a pound is a pound BUT a pound muscle with be smaller than a pound of fat because the muscle is heavier (weighs more) than the fat. A cup of muscle definitely weighs more than a cup of fat.
  • perfectmes
    perfectmes Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried to explain that 1lb is 1lb and some people actually do not understand that. They really do believe that 1lb of fat weighs less than 1lb of muscle. I think we need to stop using this phrase whether most people know that it means by volume, not everyone does!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I tried to explain that 1lb is 1lb and some people actually do not understand that. They really do believe that 1lb of fat weighs less than 1lb of muscle. I think we need to stop using this phrase whether most people know that it means by volume, not everyone does!

Honestly I've never met anyone who didn't. The people who make a big deal over the wording are usually doing it just to antagonize.
  • perfectmes
    perfectmes Posts: 2
    Options
    Honestly I've never met anyone who didn't. The people who make a big deal over the wording are usually doing it just to antagonize.

She laughed when I asked if 1kg of feathers weighs less than 1kg of sugar, wouldn't accept me saying that 1lb of fat is just bigger in volume than 1lb of muscle and told me that its been proven 1lb of muscle = 3lbs of fat...
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You've been on here all of 4 months and *you* are sick of it already?

Haha! I snorted a bit on this. It's true though - people are NEVER going to stop saying this. It goes with the loose vs lose thing. "Oh I need to loose some weight!" Heh!