Bikram Yoga

Options
2»

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan, for the following reasons.

1. Doing intense physical activity in a hot humid room is dangerous if you have high blood pressure or a heart condition.
    2. The sequencing of poses is repetitive by the very definition of this program. Yoga and other forms of exercise should include variety, whereas these guys want you to perfect a routine.
    3. Bikram is seen of kind of a d*ck in the yoga world--why would you give him your money?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Bikram has a high rate of injury compared to other styles of yoga. Keep in mind that the heat allows your muscles to stretch beyond what is a true stretch for them. People like this because it makes them feel more flexible than they might really be, but make sure you take care not to over do it.

Oh yes, this could be my reason #4. Bikram yoga does not give you a reasonable idea of how flexible you really are, so if you try the same "moves" in a regular yoga class, you're likely to be in for an injury.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I've done this and I felt awesome after. I went in pants. Bad idea!

Go in as little clothes as you feel comfortable in. There were men in speedos and women in little boy shorts and bras - seriously, it's HOT!

26 positions in 1 1/2 hours repeated twice... hydrate like crazy too! It helps a lot with digestion as well with detoxing.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the responses. I figure it can't hurt to try! I'll see how it goes!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Bikram Yoga? I am really interested in giving this a shot. I'm not usually a yoga fan, but I read that you could burn up to 1000 calories in one session. Yay or nay? How did the class go? What did you wear? Thanks!

I do it regularly. It's great. And it's extremely challenging. As far as the calories burned per session I'm not sure but I will tell you this.

My heart rate gets pretty up there. My next seesion I'll wear my HRM as I'm curious myself.

And just a little tip. DON'T sit directly under the heater on your first session as it get's a little intense.

HRMs cannot be used for accurately estimating calories in yoga classes in general, but esp in "hot" yoga. The thermal stress results in an exaggerated HR response that is NOT accompanied by an increase in VO2 or calories burned. So, you'll get a big number on the HRM, but it will be, as I said before, wildly exaggerated, and it is not accurate.

Cool.

Thanks for the info.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I have a Bikram Yoga membership, and I did it for a year going between 4 and 6 times a week. I assumed that I'd be able to do it and lose TONS of weight. When I started doing it, my weight fluctuated between 120 and 122, and when I cut down on doing it as much, my weight was 123 to 124. Here's the thing.

You do it for 90 minutes in a hot room. It feels like torture sometimes, but you feel SO good afterward.

Here's my experience:

It helped build leg muscle and helped with flexibility. It really helped me with range of motion in my neck and spine and cut down on migraines. It helped with peace of mind.

It did not tone my abs or inner thighs, and it doesn't tone your arms. They tell you it is a full body workout, but I didn't feel that I was super toned afterwards. My legs were stronger and I was more flexibile. I did build strength, and I felt so much more calm. I absolutely love it.

But, for calorie burn -- I would guess that for somebody my size, it is only 300 or 400 calories for the 90 minute session. Maybe 500 calories at most.

What you need to know if you'd like to do it:

1. Hydrate well during the day. You won't feel the heat quite as bad as if you go in dehydrated.
    2. Don't eat right before you go in -- you will want to puke. You are supposed to eat lighter, but there was a huge gap in time between lunch and when I could attend class. I had a hard time with eating schedule because it would be 6 or 7 hours until I could have dinner, and I would feel ravenous. I believe I ate more.
    3. Buy a yogitoes towel because it grips your mat well.
    4. Buy moisture wicking clothes.
    5. You need electrolytes to replace minerals you've lost from sweating. If you don't have them, you will feel weak and retain water and almost feel like you have flu symptoms. You need to make sure that you get minerals back in your system. Magnesium is one that they tell you is needed (spinach, almonds, etc.) If I remember correctly.
    6. Bikram's book might tell you it is all you need to be fit and healthy; however, I didn't feel it was a full body workout. They tell you to go everyday if you can. If you go everyday, you will have flexibility, but it is nice to have a day or two off because doing it every day can help with flexibility and depth in your poses, but you may not be able to do the strength postures as long when your muscles are so weak. Taking two days off can be a wonderful break.
    7. I personally don't understand the whole spiritual connection. If one considers the mind, body, spirit link, it feels like it helps balance your body and mind so that you can be more spiritual/receive guidance? I don't know -- I've never thought of it as spiritual. But, it does help clear the chaos out of your head.
    8. It is seriously hard. The first time I went, I had Groupons for my husband and I to go. We got through about 2/3 of it, and he looked at me and mouthed "I hate you." I said, "I didn't know." I was hating life. It wasn't until I left and started driving home that an endorphin rush hit. I could take such deep breaths and felt SO good. I told him, "That was SO hard. I had no idea. Were we crazy? Wow! I am starting to feel so good that I can't wait to go back."
    9. For food, I would recommend making sure you have a snack 2 hours before so that you don't feel ravenous and overeat afterward. That is probably the reason for the 2 extra pounds I gained.
    10. I also found that I was more tired in the heat during the summer -- less tolerance for it. Not sure why, but I could barely stand to be outside. When I was, I felt so tired. And, I didn't have as much stamina to go for hikes and walks and such. They will say it is a good cardio, but I didn't find it to be a great cardio workout. That being said, it is still fantastic, and definitely try it.

If you won't to be fit and toned everywhere, throw in some cardio on the off days and maybe a couple of toning days as well. The yoga will keep you flexibile -- and you do work some of your muscles, but you won't have tight abs and tight arms or inner thighs from Bikram Yoga. You are only doing 26 postures each time -- the same 26 postures. Throw in a Vinyasa style if you want more arm work.

I feel like it helped me get through a job change, decision to start a master's degree, industry certifications, and a lot of stress working for an acquired company.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    Bikram style hot yoga is my main exercise, coupled with strength training.
    It definitely works your legs and back more than your arms, in my experience, so I focus on arms when strength training.

I've lost 10 inches from my waist, hips and thighs in the last two months since I started practicing 3-4 times a week. I haven't lost a lot of weight but I wasn't really watching what I was eating, either. I'm a bigger girl and my trainer estimated I'm burning 600 calories in 90 minutes.

The best advice I can give you is to drink a lot of water. Like 100 oz before and another 40 oz after. Stop drinking an hour before class so you don't need to leave to use the restroom (an instructor's pet peeve).
    The first few times you'll likely want electrolytes since you wont' be used to sweating that much. I was using Nuun tablets in my water after class. Gatorade works, too. I don't need them anymore, though.

I like to wear a yoga style capri and I roll them up during the standing series so I can see my kneecap and then roll them down during the floor series. I prefer a tank top to a short sleeve top since I'm sweating so much.

A yogi toes towel is nice but they are expensive (worth it if you continue to practice). You can start with just a plain beach towel. I'd pull it back when you do the seperate leg poses as that is when you slip the most without the traction the yogi toes towel has.
    Bring a smaller sized towel to wipe off during class if your studio doesn't provide one.

The class is the same sequence each time. I like this because I know exactly what is coming and how much longer there is to go. Plus I can easily measure my progress in each pose. I don't find this boring at all, but that's what works for me.

Do what you can. The class is intense because of the heat. You can sit or lay down if you need to. It improves with time, though. In class I hardly recognize the heat anymore, even though my body is profusely sweating.

I do feel like there's a spiritual connection in that it has given me more self confidence. I also don't think about anything, other than what I am doing right at that moment, during the class. This is a nice break for someone like me who has 80 things going on in my head at once.

This isn't an inexpensive undertaking but it has been worth every penny!
    Best of luck!
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    I have a Bikram Yoga membership, and I did it for a year going between 4 and 6 times a week. I assumed that I'd be able to do it and lose TONS of weight. When I started doing it, my weight fluctuated between 120 and 122, and when I cut down on doing it as much, my weight was 123 to 124. Here's the thing.

You do it for 90 minutes in a hot room. It feels like torture sometimes, but you feel SO good afterward.

Here's my experience:

It helped build leg muscle and helped with flexibility. It really helped me with range of motion in my neck and spine and cut down on migraines. It helped with peace of mind.

It did not tone my abs or inner thighs, and it doesn't tone your arms. They tell you it is a full body workout, but I didn't feel that I was super toned afterwards. My legs were stronger and I was more flexibile. I did build strength, and I felt so much more calm. I absolutely love it.

But, for calorie burn -- I would guess that for somebody my size, it is only 300 or 400 calories for the 90 minute session. Maybe 500 calories at most.

What you need to know if you'd like to do it:

1. Hydrate well during the day. You won't feel the heat quite as bad as if you go in dehydrated.
    2. Don't eat right before you go in -- you will want to puke. You are supposed to eat lighter, but there was a huge gap in time between lunch and when I could attend class. I had a hard time with eating schedule because it would be 6 or 7 hours until I could have dinner, and I would feel ravenous. I believe I ate more.
    3. Buy a yogitoes towel because it grips your mat well.
    4. Buy moisture wicking clothes.
    5. You need electrolytes to replace minerals you've lost from sweating. If you don't have them, you will feel weak and retain water and almost feel like you have flu symptoms. You need to make sure that you get minerals back in your system. Magnesium is one that they tell you is needed (spinach, almonds, etc.) If I remember correctly.
    6. Bikram's book might tell you it is all you need to be fit and healthy; however, I didn't feel it was a full body workout. They tell you to go everyday if you can. If you go everyday, you will have flexibility, but it is nice to have a day or two off because doing it every day can help with flexibility and depth in your poses, but you may not be able to do the strength postures as long when your muscles are so weak. Taking two days off can be a wonderful break.
    7. I personally don't understand the whole spiritual connection. If one considers the mind, body, spirit link, it feels like it helps balance your body and mind so that you can be more spiritual/receive guidance? I don't know -- I've never thought of it as spiritual. But, it does help clear the chaos out of your head.
    8. It is seriously hard. The first time I went, I had Groupons for my husband and I to go. We got through about 2/3 of it, and he looked at me and mouthed "I hate you." I said, "I didn't know." I was hating life. It wasn't until I left and started driving home that an endorphin rush hit. I could take such deep breaths and felt SO good. I told him, "That was SO hard. I had no idea. Were we crazy? Wow! I am starting to feel so good that I can't wait to go back."
    9. For food, I would recommend making sure you have a snack 2 hours before so that you don't feel ravenous and overeat afterward. That is probably the reason for the 2 extra pounds I gained.
    10. I also found that I was more tired in the heat during the summer -- less tolerance for it. Not sure why, but I could barely stand to be outside. When I was, I felt so tired. And, I didn't have as much stamina to go for hikes and walks and such. They will say it is a good cardio, but I didn't find it to be a great cardio workout. That being said, it is still fantastic, and definitely try it.

If you won't to be fit and toned everywhere, throw in some cardio on the off days and maybe a couple of toning days as well. The yoga will keep you flexibile -- and you do work some of your muscles, but you won't have tight abs and tight arms or inner thighs from Bikram Yoga. You are only doing 26 postures each time -- the same 26 postures. Throw in a Vinyasa style if you want more arm work.

I feel like it helped me get through a job change, decision to start a master's degree, industry certifications, and a lot of stress working for an acquired company.
    Wow! Extremely informative! Thank you!
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    Bikram style hot yoga is my main exercise, coupled with strength training.
    It definitely works your legs and back more than your arms, in my experience, so I focus on arms when strength training.

I've lost 10 inches from my waist, hips and thighs in the last two months since I started practicing 3-4 times a week. I haven't lost a lot of weight but I wasn't really watching what I was eating, either. I'm a bigger girl and my trainer estimated I'm burning 600 calories in 90 minutes.

The best advice I can give you is to drink a lot of water. Like 100 oz before and another 40 oz after. Stop drinking an hour before class so you don't need to leave to use the restroom (an instructor's pet peeve).
    The first few times you'll likely want electrolytes since you wont' be used to sweating that much. I was using Nuun tablets in my water after class. Gatorade works, too. I don't need them anymore, though.

I like to wear a yoga style capri and I roll them up during the standing series so I can see my kneecap and then roll them down during the floor series. I prefer a tank top to a short sleeve top since I'm sweating so much.

A yogi toes towel is nice but they are expensive (worth it if you continue to practice). You can start with just a plain beach towel. I'd pull it back when you do the seperate leg poses as that is when you slip the most without the traction the yogi toes towel has.
    Bring a smaller sized towel to wipe off during class if your studio doesn't provide one.

The class is the same sequence each time. I like this because I know exactly what is coming and how much longer there is to go. Plus I can easily measure my progress in each pose. I don't find this boring at all, but that's what works for me.

Do what you can. The class is intense because of the heat. You can sit or lay down if you need to. It improves with time, though. In class I hardly recognize the heat anymore, even though my body is profusely sweating.

I do feel like there's a spiritual connection in that it has given me more self confidence. I also don't think about anything, other than what I am doing right at that moment, during the class. This is a nice break for someone like me who has 80 things going on in my head at once.

This isn't an inexpensive undertaking but it has been worth every penny!
    Best of luck!
    Thank you! I'm definitely glad I asked about this!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've tried it once and have mixed feelings -- mostly due to the instructor. Is it normal for instructors to say 'Your knees should hurt. " "Lock your knees" "Your back should hurt doing this...". Anything actually HURTing doesn't seem like good advice, or a good position, especially for beginners.

Going to try a different instructor next time, but is that how they all coach?
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've been to several Bikram classes at different studios and it is the exact same each time - same poses, order of poses, and script. It's 90 minutes long - it's kind of a committment. It is not the kind of yoga class where you can run errands on the way home because you will look like you have just jumped in a pool. Completely soaked, head to toe, you'll be able to wring out your shirt no matter what it's made of.

So wear as little as you feel comfortable!

I will say that I don't find yoga to be spiritual, but I do find Bikram to be cleansing. It's not enjoyable while it's happening, but afterward you will feel like you've just had a massage. During the class, if you can't handle the heat you are welcome to lay down and rest. It's not considered proper etiquette to leave the room and come back - if you need to leave, do so but don't go in and out because it's disruptive to the rest of the class. They will tell you that it's normal to feel nauseous or dizzy during some of the poses - have common sense. If you feel you might vomit, don't push through it. Take a break, drink some water, and lie down.

There are hot yoga studios where the classes are 1) not 90 minutes long, 2) not 115 degrees but anywhere from 80 - 100+ degrees, and 3) not the exact same every time so you get a lot more variety.

I also agree you're not going to burn a ton of calories. You'll sweat a ton and may feel lighter because of that afterward, but unless you couple it with diet and other exercise, I doubt it really helps to burn fat.
  • Hj723
    Hj723 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do it regularly. It's great. And it's extremely challenging. As far as the calories burned per session I'm not sure but I will tell you this.

My heart rate gets pretty up there. My next seesion I'll wear my HRM as I'm curious myself.

And just a little tip. DON'T sit directly under the heater on your first session as it get's a little intense.

THIS!!! I did this my first day now I know better! I can't even believe I went back, but I'm loving it!
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I second the YogiToes, but I'd try it with just a large beach towel on your mat the first few times to see if you like it. YogiToes towels are around $60 each

Edit: I'd try regular hot yoga first if you haven't, It's hot but not 105-115F hot.
    I didn't know there was a regular hot yoga! I will do a search for that as well. And thanks for the tip on the beach towel!
    I've never done bikram yoga but I do hot yoga once a week. I guess the main difference is that bikram is a specific sequence of poses? Anways, I always wear something form fitting because it's annoying to be in a pose like an inversion and have your shirt come up to your head!