Hot Tea + Empty Stomach = ThrowUP!! WHY????

Options

Replies

• karrissa21
    Options
    I throw up sometimes from green tea. I think it is from the acid as I also have lemon. There is a type of Japanese green tea you can buy that never makes me feel sick. It is a very green leaf and has not been dried out too much or processed.
  • sadvegan
    sadvegan Posts: 9
    Options
    This happens to me too. I usually end up combating the nausea with gravol however. Though still leaves my stomach gurggling and upset. It sucks. It honestly never happened to me in the past with anything besides green tea on an empty stomach. I have grown and learned to know I have a sensitive stomach now. This sucks. I use to be able to do coffee on an empty stomach but I can't anymore either after stopping drinking it for so long.... I just drank a soup mug of caffeine free sweet tea on empty. I feel so sick right now. So it can happen with any type of tea.
  • VeganMagpie
    VeganMagpie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If I drink black tea first thing in the morning without eating I will throw up - guaranteed.

No idea why - I can drink black coffee fine and tea with soya milk without eating first.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me after drinking tea one morning on an empty stomach. Funny, I have no issue with coffee though.

Same for me, no idea why...
  • Veggie_mama
    Veggie_mama Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way with green tea. Thought it was me.
  • emilyrthompson
    Options
    This happens to me as well, I avoid any hot tea until about 2 pm. I actually need breakfast and lunch before my tummy can handle hot tea. I will vomit it up within minutes. I vomit when I take vitamins in the morning too, i must take vitamins at night. The One-A-Day green tea vitamins are the worst!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Same here, although it makes me nauseous and I pretty much have to eat something with it or I get sick. But putting a splash of milk in it usually helps at least.

Glad to hear it's not just me!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    it was the lemon. Acid on an empty stomach.

Lemons turn to a base when digested...
  • m20hna
    m20hna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get this too, it's bizarre! Glad to know I'm my the only one!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too, but not with green tea. I have to save my other teas for later.
  • sarahstumpff
    sarahstumpff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    glad i found this, i had green tea this morning after not feeling so well to begin with and now fighting nausea. i tried the herbals for my anxiety and strange head pressure, thought it would help. now add sick to my stomach to the list of ailments this morning.
  • kkalinux
    kkalinux Posts: 1
    Options
    I have always had that same problem, doesn't matter if is hot, cold, sweet or unsweetened. Have to eat something or it causes that. But do not know the answer as to why.
  • slim6464
    slim6464 Posts: 1
    Options
    Any tea I drink on a empty stomach makes me very nausa.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Why is it I vomit after tea on an empty stomach? Oh by the way, no problem with iced tea, just hot.
    Anybody else have this issue?

Don't know, but this does happen to me from time to time. Green tea. i've not really looked into it, but it's a pita.
  • Kristinacorn
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question. For a while now, whenever I drank green tea in the morning I would get sick. At first I thought it was nerves or something (one incident occurred on the same day I had an interview), but now I see it's because of the acidity in my cup of lemon and green tea.

Thank you for your answers. Now I can get through my mornings without getting sick. :)
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    tea in the morning makes me nausous
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its the tannic acid in tea. I react the same way.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A splash of milk (not creamer, not cream...milk!) helps. I drink black tea in the morning, but I have a bit of granola bar with it. Between that and the milk, I experience no nausea. It is the tannins in the tea- and protein binds them.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Tea always make my Mum sick if she drinks it on an empty stomach. Not sure why it happens, as it just does. Maybe you are the same. Hope you are feeling better. Take care :). I can drink tea anytime and it doesn't bother me at all.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Tea on an empty stomach makes me queasy as well, and it doesn't matter if it's hot tea or iced tea. I've never lost it as a result of drinking tea but it definitely makes me feel ill. That said, a small amount of food (like 100 calories of nuts, a biscotti, etc.) is all it takes to make the feeling go away.