Morning Omelet: To Cheese or Not To Cheese?

Hey all,

I've been dieting pretty well so far and find that I have some of the best control of what I eat in the morning @ work (since my mind is more focused on working etc I can kind of "force" myself to eat anything - i.e. eat for maximum healthynessssss!)

I try to have an egg white omelete every morning:
-5 Egg Whites (Fried)
-Fresh Spinach Leaves (1/2 Cup)
-Diced Ham (1 Oz)
-Diced Tomato (1/4 Cup)
-Cheddar / Mozarella Cheese

Here's my question/problemo:

Since I buy this omelet from the egg-cooker-guy-at-the-office-cafeteria, I can only assume that the cheeses are NOT of the low fat variety... Cheddar and Mozarella are the only choices for when I buy from here...

Will it be better for me to completely skip out on these cheeses or are there still positive nutritional benefits to eating the omelet with cheese?
Also, is one of these better than the other (Cheddar vs Mozarella)?

Replies

• Cheese has a lot of protein and calcium. I'd keep the cheese and ditch the ham. The sodium level in ham is totally whack.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    cheese has fat.

fat = good
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I usually add a little bit of cheese to my eggs - you dont need much to make a difference, so I keep the quantity low. If you're not in control of the quantity yourself, how are you measuring it? Why don't you plug in different versions into your food log and see how they shape up against your macros? (you can always cancel an item using the red button on the right)
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    I agree-- the calcium and protein content of the cheese makes it a healthy addition... Ham does have a LOT of sodium...
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    I always add a little cheese to my eggs, and not necessarily low fat cheese. I'd cut out the ham just for the sodium content alone.
  • Thanks for all the responses everyone!
    And wow, I would have never second guessed the ham in my omelet if not for this thread :P....

@jenniferrusso,vanguardfitness,dontletmeeatthecookies: Definitely keeping the cheese in the omelet after reading what y'all had to say :D

@melaniecheeks: My estimates are really just best-guesstimates... But by eyeballing the ingredients the guy uses while making the omelet I think I've gotten it down to +/- a few single digit calories at worst (He's pretty skimpy on all the ingredients... I could probably count the amount of ham cubes in the omelet lol).

It still surprises me how low calories the egg white omelet is on the whole.