Am I Crazy?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I would like to know if I am insane or not. I currently weigh 281 and am down from 350. I have not allowed myself to give me any excuses to not do what I need to get to my goal weight. I twisted my knee Sunday afternoon. It hurt, and was a little swollen. I told myself no excuses, and went to the gym for an hour on the elliptical. Yesterday was a really painful day. Hurt to stand and walk. So, I ended up not going to the gym for my workout. I would like to think this is just cause for not going to the gym, but I feel like it was just an excuse. Keep in mind, excuses got me where I was at 350. Yesterday, I had the lowest activity and calorie burn I have had in three months, and I am kinda beating myself up for it. Am I crazy, or is this a good reason to take a day off.

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You are crazy...if you think that pushing yourself on a twisted knee is a good idea.

Yes, a twisted knee is a good excuse to take off from the gym.

Hurting yourself will not help you lose weight any faster. Rest, heal that knee up, and move on.
  • marta07
    marta07 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i belive its a good reason . you were hurt and need a day to relax. there is suck thing as too much and i think you have been doing amazing
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If your knee hurts due to injury, you need to rest it. That doesn't mean you can't work out at all, but you need to adjust your workouts to allow your knee time to heal. The worst thing you can do is try to maintain a normal exercise routine on an injured knee.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You're injured! Doing more than should might do more harm than good in the long run!

Just keep eating right and relax :-)
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Well if you wanna screw up your knee permanently I'm sure you can continue to work out on it, but taking it easy until you're healed seriously wouldn't be such a bad idea.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    We have physical limitations like it or not. Your body says take a break, so take one. Maybe see a doctor if you can. Also, can you do arms? That might assuage your guilt. I do admire your determination and tenacity, though. I don't think you're crazy, you just need to accept that you aren't impervious to injury.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    First, You have had an AWESOME weight losss, so Much Kudos!!!

Go see a Doctor! Then you'll have your best answer :smile:

Keep in mind that even if he keeps you off it, there may be other things you can do. Stay Strong, You have come a LONG way!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Injury requires rest.

Get off the All Or Nothing Train. It's a one way ticket to crazy-town. Just eat a little less. You'll still lose weight.

And if it isn't better in two days, see a doctor.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If something is sore and swollen it's time to listen to your body and back off for a couple of days. Seriously, you are not going to undo three months of work in a few days! Anyway, I'd ice it up and stay off as much as possible. Hope you feel better soon, and congrats on your loss so far :smile:
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I agree with everyone. You're doing a fantastic job, but please listen to your body! Do an upper body workout? bi's, tri's, chest, shoulders, back? Just lay off the cardio for a few days until your knee feels 100%. I know how you feel about missing a day, but if you're out of commission you will be sorry.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    pushing yourself on a twisted knee was a bad idea. you had a bad day, don't sweat it.

just get yourself back up when your knee is better and you will burn more again.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Sit down, Leg up and relax! you dont want to hurt it more. You could do some upper body workout with some weights.
  • jconn113
    Options
    Ice, Ice, and elevate! Rest!! If you totally worried about it, do upper body exercises in the chair. But I wouldn't chance it with a knee, take it easy.

Here a good website with videos

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1713
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Agree, crazy to risk aggravating the energy. Instead of making an excuse not to work out, use the opportunity to find some alternate exercises that will not strain the knee. Perhaps swimming, some weight routines for upper body, hand cycle? Taking care of your health is not just your weight.

By the way, congrats on the weight loss so far. 70 pounds! Impressive. Don't lose your fire!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Working out on an injured knee is indeed crazy! You could prolong your healing time by a lot. If RICE doesn't help then I suggest a trip to the Dr. just to rule out anything serious. It is most likely to be like an over use injury but still....it took mine months to feel better and is still not 100% . Good luck and congrats on your amazing loss!!
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    You'd be more crazy to keep working out with an injury...you'll end up hurting yourself more and then who knows how long you'd be out of the game. My advice is take a few days off (you can still do sit ups and stretching) and if the pain continues go to a doctor. A few days off is much better than a few months not being able to do anything :)
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    DO NOT USE your injured leg!! It needs to heal!!

That said... you don't necessarily need to use your leg to exercise! Try doing some strength training for your arms, do a lot of ab exercises. Use the rowing machine at your gym -- that will definitely get your heart rate up.

I would also recommend going to physio (at least once!) so that they can give you some exercises specific to your injury -- this will help you heal faster and make sure that it is not a reoccurring injury!!

Good luck!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You're a little crazy, but aren't we all?

Swelling is bad. Back off. But that doesn't mean you have to stop completely.

If you feel you need to exercise, try getting in the pool (you don't have to swim, you can just walk), or riding the stationary bike at a MODERATE pace and resistance (don't push into pain). Both of these can actually help reduce swelling and make your knee feel better. They will also help with the mental issue of not exercising.

You can use machines to lift upper body without straining your knee. You should also be able to find core exercises that don't bother your knee.

If your gym has an arm bike, try that (go forward and back, just like the elliptical). It's great for your upper back and it'll have you sweating and breathing hard in no time.

If it doesn't get better, or continues to swell for more than a week, you should have it looked at.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You need to rest if its an actual injury.
    Iv just taken a month off because of a trapped nerve in my hip. Didn't matter what exercise etc I did, even just walking to work had me in agony.
    I still pains me now and again but its so much better than it was.

Give your body time to heal, you may do it more damage if you dont.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I would take the day off. Stay home and stretch if you feel super guilty, ot just take it easy and recouperate.

Your commitment is admirable, but an "all or nothing" attitude could easily cause a backslide. Listen to your body. :)