Learned a secret that works with preventing plataeus!!!

Options
I'm just so HAPPY about something I learned today that I feel like I need to share. I think losing weight or just being "healthy" in general is about "learning" what good choices to make vs. bad etc. We might want to make good choices, but we may have some learning to do....i know I did and still do. Something I learned from my "fitness guru" friend.... is that when you restrict your calories to lose weight...eventually your body gets used to that number and you can plataeu...so the best way to make sure you don't plataeu is to eat your calorie restricted diet of whatever number that is for you (for me its 1200-1250) and then every 5 days, pig out to keep your metabolism guessing. Well I did that yesterday....(i ate like 2k plus) and I lost a pound this morning when I have been at the same weight for 2 weeks now!!! She said it "wakes up" your metabolism. She also said it only works if you are working out to keep your metabolism up as well. I did not know that and now that I do, I'm so happy!! Does anyone have any info or stories such as this??

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's called a refeed and every five days is extremely excessive. I do a refeed every four months or so. The secret is not to "pig out", but to eat a lot of carbs (and a good range along the glycemic index), moderate protein, and low fat (<50g). This will spike your leptin sensitivity, which is especially important if you've been restricting carbs. Fat inhibits leptin from crossing the blood brain barrier so that's why it's important to keep fat low.

Doing it the way you've described may work for a while, but I'm pretty lean right now so it has to be much more controlled.
  • amandaleigh717
    Options
    I do this about every three months but I think mine ends up lasting more than a day. Just because I get off track and tired of counting. However everytime that I got right back on track Ive been able to climb over my plato and get on moving back downward.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    That is so true I do that also and it really works I up my calories up twice a week and on sunday rest day i only eat 1200 calories.and the rest of the week about 1500 calories and on my high burn days 2000 calories.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yup. My trainer had me do one cheat meal a week. (Well, he said one meal. I heard, "Enjoy your weekend, lady!") But it definitely does the trick (as long as you watch the sodium, otherwise, you pack on water weight).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!