Easy, simple Crock pot recipes needed

Options
tifalva
tifalva Posts: 220 Member
Hello all!!

I need some ideas for healthy, simple crock pot recipes. I have to babysit my neighbor's 1 year old about 2 times per week. Does not give me time to cook since she cries while I try to do it. I'm thinking that if I put something in the Crock Pot before I leave for work in the morning that I can still stay within my calories for the day and prevent us from grabbing pizza, Chinese or other take out. So I'm open to suggestions :)

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I just bought a crock pot and got a ton of recipes from this thread. Also, try skinnytaste.com.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/834863-crock-pot-tips-and-recipes?hl=crock
  • Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We love this in my family!

I throw 1.5 (or 2) whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot. Add 1 cup of salsa and cover with some taco seasoning. You can also add some low far cream of chicken soup (or you can exclude it). Cook on low for 8 hours. After the 8 hours, shred the chicken and we eat it in low fat tortillas. It's a big hit at my house. We will add lettuce or light sour cream sometimes as well. Makes enough for us for a meal and then left-overs.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like to do pot roast in the crockpot - a cut of meat, herbs, vegetables, chopped onions, new potatoes and a tin of tomatoes.

This crockpot vegetarian red beans and rice recipe is great as well and is really cheap: http://www.diannesdishes.com/2011/02/vegetarian-slow-cooker-red-bea.html

I've also got these two easy Indonesian recipes to offer (I've posted them in older threads):

Easy Indonesian chicken noodle soup:

4 chicken drumsticks/breasts
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tsp chinese 5 spice powder
    1 tsp ground ginger
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 dried chilli, crushed (alternatively, use dried chilli flakes)
    1 chopped onion
    6 cloves
    6 cups chicken stock (I use chicken stock cubes)
    broccoli

Put everything in crockpot and turn on. Add broccoli 1 hour before serving.

Have with noodles/pasta.

Optional chilli soy sauce condiment to go with it:

Bird's eye chillies (as many as you'd like)
    equal amounts kicap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce) and regular soy sauce
    Garlic (as much as you'd like)

Blend all ingredients together and dollop on the chicken noodle soup.

Very Easy Indonesian-style Crockpot Chicken (serves 4):

1 red onion, 2 sticks lemongrass, chillies (I use 10 bird's eye chillies but this makes it really hot), 1 tbsp shrimp paste -> blend.

Put 4 chicken breasts and the blended paste in crockpot. Add ground white pepper and 1 tsp coriander powder.
    Put in a 400ml tin of coconut milk.
    Turn on crockpot.

Towards the end add green beans/runner beans/other veg, and pop the lid open to thicken the gravy a bit.

Have with rice.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    OVERNIGHT OATMEAL

Combine in the bottom of the crock pot:

2 chopped apples
    1/3 c brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

On top of that, add:

2 cups oats
    4 cups water

DO NOT STIR

Cook overnight for 8-9 hours on low.

Serves approx 4. It should be about 250 calories per serving.
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    We've made turkey meatloaf in the crockpot, and it was amazing! Just make a normal meatloaf using ground turkey instead of beef and cook on low for 6-8 hours. For ours, we used 2 lbs of meat and cooked it for 8.5 hours on low. Steamed some carrots to go along side and had meals for a couple days. It was fantastic!
  • lilwalt99
    lilwalt99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Enchilada Chicken Stew:

Ingredients
    2lbs chicken breasts
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 (4oz) can of chopped jalapenos
    1 (4oz) can of chopped green chiles
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 (14oz) can of diced tomatoes
    1 (7 oz) can tomato sauce
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    salt and pepper, to taste
    bundle of cilantro, to garnish
    avocado, to garnish

Instructions
    Pull out your handy dandy crockpot.
    Add your chicken breasts.
    Then add the rest of the ingredients on top, in any order.
    Put on low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8.
    After it’s done cooking, use tongs to pick at the chicken to shred it in with all the ingredients.
    Top with cilantro and some avocado.
    Eat up!!
  • sherri33s
    sherri33s Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I put chicken in crock pot and cover with crushed pineapple. Cook on low 8-10 hrs
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Add chicken, dry ranch mix and hot sauce into the crock pot and cook on low! Serve on whole wheat buns or salad!
  • BluBecca
    Options
    I love my crock pot!

Chicken
    1 jar of salsa
    taco seasoning
    black beans
    frozen corn
    white or wheat rice

cook on high all day, shred the chicken with two forks, you can serve as is or in tortillas with some shredded cheese. call it salsa chicken

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Stew meat with a jar of salsa verde in the crock pot EARLY in the morning

Around noon add baby carrots, diced tomatoes, cut potatoes, celery, stew seasoning and some water

THIS is the best beef stew I have ever had. It gives it a little zing. And really adds some delicious flavor with the salsa verde!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chicken cooked on high for about 4 hours, drained, shredded and put back in

Add some bbq sauce and pineapple chunks cook for an hour.

This is "hawaiian chicken" It's really good! Like a sweet and sour!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I throw chicken in my crock pot all the time. I love that I can throw it in before work and it's done when I get home... then I can shred it and make chicken enchiladas, chicken tacos, or whatever. I have made a pot roast in the crock pot as well with some italian dressing seasoning (packet), cream of mushroom soup, carrots, and potatoes. I've made lasagna in the crock pot as well.

I make a really good chicken pasta in there, cook chicken, drain, shred, put it back in, add pasta sauce (chunky vegetable is my favorite), elbow mac, frozen corn, shredded cheese, stir and cook for about half an hour. It's really good. Hubby loves it.

I get most of my recipes off of pinterest believe it or not. Just look up crock pot recipes :)
  • anewmary
    Options
    I love my crock pot!

Chicken
    1 jar of salsa
    taco seasoning
    black beans
    frozen corn
    white or wheat rice

cook on high all day, shred the chicken with two forks, you can serve as is or in tortillas with some shredded cheese. call it salsa chicken

How much rice do you put in? Is the salsa enough liquid? You just put the rice in in the morning with the chicken? Haven't seen it this way, but sounds good (minus the black beans for us).
  • vdonalds
    vdonalds Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wad up three balls of aluminum foil at the bottom of the crock pot. Then I put a roaster/young chicken on top. Season with pepper and paprika. Eight hours on low and it's done.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yum some great ideas! I am picking up a crock pot (or slow cooker here in uk) at the weekend, can't wait to try some of these out. The overnight oats sounds great for cold weekend mornings!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I wad up three balls of aluminum foil at the bottom of the crock pot. Then I put a roaster/young chicken on top. Season with pepper and paprika. Eight hours on low and it's done.

Whoa! I never thought of putting aluminum balls under a whole chicken to raise it off the bottom!! That's a great idea! Thanks!!
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cuterebelme
    cuterebelme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What an awesome idea!!! Supper tomorrow!!!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I love my crock pot!

Chicken
    1 jar of salsa
    taco seasoning
    black beans
    frozen corn
    white or wheat rice

i do basically this, but when I do it I do not use black beans, corn or rice. I just throw the salsa, seasoning, and chicken in my crock pot and when im ready to eat I shred it and make little chicken tacos, add some light sour cream and reduced fat cheese, onions and tomatoes and shredded lettuce. Its so good. One time I made it and I was gonna be gone for like 10 hours so i just put it on warm for about that long and it was unbelievably tender and delicious.

I am a pinterest fanatic as well and I found a recipe for chicken and cornmeal dumplings that I slightly modified to be something like this:

chicken breast
    1 can of corn
    1 celery stick
    1 bag baby carrots
    medium/small onion, chopped
    S&P
    1 tbs flour
    1/2 cup milk

corn bread dumplings:
    jiffy mix
    1 egg
    1 tsp sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    1 teaspoon or so of vegetable oil

combine first 6 in crock pot on low 4-6 hours. mix together four and milk and stir into mixture. Shred the chicken or chop up a bit if you like.

combine dumpling ingredients but make sure you add the milk slowly and mix until just wet enough. drop cornbread mixture ontop of chicken mixture with an ice cream scoop or spoonfuls, cover and continue cooking for about 20 minutes or until dumplings are fully cooked.

its savory, sweet, comforting and so easy!
  • Angel_Muss
    Angel_Muss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    laloosh.com

skinnyms.com

skinnytaste.com

I love my crockpot!!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My co-worker just told me about making this one last night. No prep necessary just open, dump, press on button!

3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
    3 cans of artichoke hearts (probably chopped)
    2 reg. size cans of stewed tomatoes (or more if you love tomatoes!)
    1 cup of chicken stock
    Salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder

Put ingredients in slow cooker. Set on low for 4.5 to 5.5 hours.

Serve this with a side salad and you actually have a Paleo meal :)

Here’s a similar recipe – however, my coworker has tried it both as directed above and here. She enjoyed the above a lot better http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-with-tomatoes-and-artichokes/12b3ec32-5534-44d3-a488-02f8afa0621b
  • Catskillet
    Catskillet Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ...these are all great ideas!....Crock-pot chicken fajitas tonight!
  • amy002002
    Options
    Here is a recipe I found on pinetrest.
    I pack of Boneless chicken Breast (can be frozen)
    season chicken with Salt, pepper, and galic.
    Add:
    1 can corn
    1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can of rotel
    1 8oz light philly cream cheese (Not fat free)
    Cook on slow 6-8 hrs or high 4-5
    Take out chicken and shred serve it over rice.( I use brown)
    If you have any left (which i usually do) I mix it all together add a little cheese and taco seasoning and the next day i wrap it in tortilla shells and make enchillads, top with enchillada sauce and cheese. This is one of my family favorites : )