MFP sodium levels

Options
geekyjen
geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
Does anyone know why MFP suggests 2500 mg of sodium?

I just came from a nutrition lecture where they basically said no one should be above 2300 and that for many if not most people trying to lose weight (especially those with blood pressure concerns or kidney disease) it should be significantly less. Just curious if anyone knew about the source for 2500 mg.
Thanks!

Replies

• karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    That is the recommended max. It helps to keep it signigificantly lower, but its a cap to make sure you dont go over.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have know idea. I have mine set at 1500 (which is the low end-I have a history of high blood pressure in my family). Usually I don't get above 900.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    The link below ( you will probably need to cut and paste) gives a pretty good explanation of sodium in the American diet (along with recommendations). Im certainly not an expert but Northwestern University usually has pretty reliable info.

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/sodium.html
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why MFP suggests 2500 mg of sodium?

I just came from a nutrition lecture where they basically said no one should be above 2300 and that for many if not most people trying to lose weight (especially those with blood pressure concerns or kidney disease) it should be significantly less. Just curious if anyone knew about the source for 2500 mg.
    Thanks!
    2500mg is within normal ranges according to the American Heart and Health Association.But I have to agree I keep my around 1500mg a day and I feel way better than I used to when I was eating alot more sodium .(more than 2500mg)Different people have different opinions about this issue but if I eat too much sodium I see my weight creep up thats why I keep a healthy balance of sodium in my diet because you do need it.
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Very good info there!

The link below ( you will probably need to cut and paste) gives a pretty good explanation of sodium in the American diet (along with recommendations). Im certainly not an expert but Northwestern University usually has pretty reliable info.

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/sodium.html
  • evilras
    evilras Posts: 42
    Options
    Yup. its about on par with the uk suggested max of 6.4g of salt. which is literally 2500mg of sodium. Seems to be worldwide accepted limit!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've lowered my "max" manually to 1500...its become much easier to eat less sodium by doing this! And when I go "over", I still know I'm "under". :wink: