Foot Pain....Help!

Options
Let me preface this by saying that I really do understand that this doesn't replace medical advice from a doctor. I just don't have health insurance at the moment but I make just barely enough money that I don't qualify for sliding scale or anything like that so a doctor isn't really much of an option right now...This is just me trying to find a temporary solution until I can afford to see a doctor.

I get severe pain in both of my feet when I exercise. It is like a burning sensation that just aches horribly. The strange part about it is that if I push through the pain, it will usually go away after about 30 minutes and I can continue my workout pain free. Last night was no different, except the pain was so bad that I started crying before it went away. I'm determined to do this so I pushed through it. I noticed this pain last year when I first started getting serious about weight loss but it was dull and manageable. My shoes were a bit small so I went to Boulder Running Company, told the sales associate what my issue was and she seemed to know exactly what I needed. It made the pain worse. I tried going back to my old shoes and the pain just gets progressively worse :(

Has anybody else had this issue? Does anybody know of a reasonably priced solution that I can try? I get so frustrated because I have to stop exercising for a few minutes every 5 minutes until the pain stops. It's not that I'm fatigued or too out of shape to exercise, the pain is just too much to handle sometimes. At least if I were just really out of shape it would be something that would get easier with time. But with the foot pain, I don't know if it will ever get easier :(

Replies

• marquito7
    marquito7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Exactly where in the feet is the pain?
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options

It is in the arches. My feet are quite flat, which I'm sure is part of the reason for my pain. I never had an issue with foot pain while playing sports in high school, though....You'd think if it were just my flat feet causing the pain that it would be a problem my whole life, you know? (or am I wrong? I really don't know much about feet lol)
  • thelaurameister
    Options
    Bump...
  • LOH611
    LOH611 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, except my feet fall asleep during work outs to the point where I can barely stand/keep my balance. I'm interested in hearing what more people have to say about this because I haven't found a solution yet.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Do you experience the problem also when you are barefoot? If you can try the exercise barefoot then you might actually be able to make your feet stronger. Plus, if the problem is in the shoes, then ditching the shoes might ditch the problem.
  • LOH611
    LOH611 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried those toe shoes? I've been looking into them
  • thelaurameister
    Options
    Do you experience the problem also when you are barefoot? If you can try the exercise barefoot then you might actually be able to make your feet stronger. Plus, if the problem is in the shoes, then ditching the shoes might ditch the problem.

I have not tried barefoot, simply because I have heard that it is damaging for your feet to not have proper support. This is just based on articles I've read while trying to find an solution, not based on a doctor's word. I am just so afraid of damaging my feet any more than they already are, but I might give it a shot tonight.
  • thelaurameister
    Options
    Have you tried those toe shoes? I've been looking into them

I have been curious about those, too! I actually went into Boulder Running Company with those shoes in mind, but the sales associate said that they aren't really for working out, more so to have a more natural stride for walking during daily wear. After having the shoes she was certain would help make it worse, I'm starting to think she's talking out of her butt, now.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Have you tried webmd symptom checker? I have plantar facitis but it does not sound anything like you are experiencing. Are there any free clinics you can go to?
  • JEWIM1
    JEWIM1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am soooo not a doctor, but here was my foot experience. You need to be really careful. After I started exercising really hard core a couple of years ago, I ended up with plantar fasciitis which is an inflammation of the tendons. The only thing that really helped was physical therapy and specially made inserts for my feet. Even with that, it still took months for the pain to subside and it still flares. I have to stretch daily and massage my feet after exercise and it's not so bad. Ibuprofin also helps the pain and is an anti-inflammatory. You might try out the Dr. Shoals machine that tells you which special inserts you need for the support for your feet. And get a good cross training shoe. Also make sure you stretch your calves and feet (yoga is awesome for this!) everyday several times a day. If that doesn't work, you just may need to bite the bullet and go to a podiatrist. It's what I ended up doing. You might see if you can try massage therapy first. There are plenty of them out there and you don't need a doctor's referral. many of them will work with you on payment plans. Good luck!!!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I have not tried barefoot, simply because I have heard that it is damaging for your feet to not have proper support. This is just based on articles I've read while trying to find an solution, not based on a doctor's word. I am just so afraid of damaging my feet any more than they already are, but I might give it a shot tonight.

I've actually heard that barefoot is better in some articles, but I don't have flat feet. I know we all have flat feet as toddlers and that infants and toddlers aren't supposed to wear shoes (whenever possible) because shoes can interfer with the arch's development. Basically the muscles and tendons in the foot need to get a good workout while barefoot for the arch to form in the first place. Over time, the bones fuse into a flexible arch, but that kids shouldn't wear shoes with arch support until after the arch is strong on it's own.

I go barefoot all the time, even for my 4 mile walks/jogs (indoor personal treadmill) and my feet are fine. My mom (older than me obviously and a nurse on her feet all day) has always worn very supportive shoes, even when lounging around at home, and she has had all sorts of foot trouble. She's convinced she has to have "support" all the time and that I should as well, but when I wear shoes with a lot of support my feet hurt.

Likewise consider civil engineering, you don't support an arch by propping a pole up in the middle of the arch under the keystone. You support it by pulling or pushing the arch's "legs" together (like a flying buttress on a church). Your feet don't have flying buttresses, but they do have tendons and muscles. It makes sense to me that working out those tendons and muscles by going barefoot would be worth a shot. Let the foot's naturally parts pull the arch together instead of relying on a shoe to do it.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure, but.. when what I've read for barefoot pros vs cons makes sense to me. One warning is to take it slow so that you don't over stress weak muscles and tendons. Build them up slowly.

(See the youtube videos for the "barefoot professor" from Harvard to see what I mean. )
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes relatively new and padded enough? Can you get an arch support at the pharmacy?

Also, some exercise is probably easier on your feet than others. Spinning is probably easier than running, for example.
  • thelaurameister
    Options

I've actually heard that barefoot is better in some articles, but I don't have flat feet. I know we all have flat feet as toddlers and that infants and toddlers aren't supposed to wear shoes (whenever possible) because shoes can interfer with the arch's development. Basically the muscles and tendons in the foot need to get a good workout while barefoot for the arch to form in the first place. Over time, the bones fuse into a flexible arch, but that kids shouldn't wear shoes with arch support until after the arch is strong on it's own.

I go barefoot all the time, even for my 4 mile walks/jogs (indoor personal treadmill) and my feet are fine. My mom (older than me obviously and a nurse on her feet all day) has always worn very supportive shoes, even when lounging around at home, and she has had all sorts of foot trouble. She's convinced she has to have "support" all the time and that I should as well, but when I wear shoes with a lot of support my feet hurt.

Likewise consider civil engineering, you don't support an arch by propping a pole up in the middle of the arch under the keystone. You support it by pulling or pushing the arch's "legs" together (like a flying buttress on a church). Your feet don't have flying buttresses, but they do have tendons and muscles. It makes sense to me that working out those tendons and muscles by going barefoot would be worth a shot. Let the foot's naturally parts pull the arch together instead of relying on a shoe to do it.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for sure, but.. when what I've read for barefoot pros vs cons makes sense to me. One warning is to take it slow so that you don't over stress weak muscles and tendons. Build them up slowly.

(See the youtube videos for the "barefoot professor" from Harvard to see what I mean. )

That actually makes a lot of sense, thank you! I will give working out barefoot a shot tonight and see how I feel. I enjoy Zumba, which has a lot of jumping....Do you think this would be okay or should I do something more low-key?

I'm not sure if my parent's put shoes on me as an infant/toddler or not. I'd be curious to ask! I do know that my dad has completely flat feet, though. His footprint has no arch at all. My mom, on the other hand, has a huge arch. I'm about in between but more on the flat side. There IS an arch, just not a big one.
  • thelaurameister
    Options
    I am soooo not a doctor, but here was my foot experience. You need to be really careful. After I started exercising really hard core a couple of years ago, I ended up with plantar fasciitis which is an inflammation of the tendons. The only thing that really helped was physical therapy and specially made inserts for my feet. Even with that, it still took months for the pain to subside and it still flares. I have to stretch daily and massage my feet after exercise and it's not so bad. Ibuprofin also helps the pain and is an anti-inflammatory. You might try out the Dr. Shoals machine that tells you which special inserts you need for the support for your feet. And get a good cross training shoe. Also make sure you stretch your calves and feet (yoga is awesome for this!) everyday several times a day. If that doesn't work, you just may need to bite the bullet and go to a podiatrist. It's what I ended up doing. You might see if you can try massage therapy first. There are plenty of them out there and you don't need a doctor's referral. many of them will work with you on payment plans. Good luck!!!

I have done the Dr. Scholes thing at Walmart and I have a lot of pressure on the inner foot near my arches, and I'd need their biggest support they offer according to the test. My current shoes that I have just feel...awkward. The arches of the shoes feel too far back towards my heel, but the lady at BRC (why do I still trust what she says again? lol) says that's normal...I always thought the arches should match up with the natural arches in your feet? My goal is to see a podiatrist asap, I'm just not sure when that will be. Thank you!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot of times too only after having plantar fasciitis. Completely different area of the foot though. I had PF in both feet, and the pain is localized to the heel area. When I do too much jumping around, I get throbbing horrible pains in my feet just south of the portion of the ball of my foot under my big toe (if that makes sense). I have flat feet as well, and it's right about where your arch would start, I guess. The only thing I can do to get it to subside while I'm working out is to get off my feet.

I talked to my podiatrist about this pain and he suggested shoes that were more padded up front. They didn't help. I have custom orthotics from my PF treatment - those were no help. The only thing that's helped is to stretch my feet out A LOT, all day long, before, after, and sometimes during my workout. Otherwise my feet will end up cramped, and I'm pretty sure the gym doesn't want me frightening all of its patrons with my screaming. It still doesn't stop it from happening, but the stretching has lessened it to a degree.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ok I have foot pain often (currently I'm sure I have a stress fracture and no insurance either).

I wear inserts in my shoes b/c I have a really high arch. Also maybe try lacing your shoes for your foot type. See link below.
    http://lifehacker.com/191254/how-to-lace-shoes-for-your-foot-type
  • thelaurameister
    Options

This is a possibility, but I have never had issues with my legs/calves so I'm not so sure. The electrical/burning feeling is really accurate, though. Something to look into deeper, thank you!
  • tmyuille
    Options
    I tend to get foot/shin/knee pain when I need new shoes! when I first started working out, I used my everyday tennis shoes during my workouts (you know the ones you wear daily) and I started getting terrible shin splints. My trainer told me that shoes are only meant to last about 6 months. I refused to believe it was the shoes because they looked too clean and too "new" for that to be the case....I kept going until I finally got a stress fracture from the shin splints....So I tried getting a new pair of shoes, and viola, the pain went away. I can now tell when I need new shoes because either I'll get weird foot pains or knee pains (oddly, I havent had shin pains since the first time). Now, I only use my workout shoes, for workouts, so they'll stretch a little longer than the 6 months...and if money really gets tight, I buy a new pair of insoles for about $13 to stretch it even more. Dont let the outside look of the shoe fool you! Most of my "old" shoes look brand new!
  • levicrouch
    Options

It is in the arches. My feet are quite flat, which I'm sure is part of the reason for my pain. I never had an issue with foot pain while playing sports in high school, though....You'd think if it were just my flat feet causing the pain that it would be a problem my whole life, you know? (or am I wrong? I really don't know much about feet lol)

I'm not a doctor either (nor have I played one on TV. I haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn :)). Sounds to me like plantar fasciitis. I have plantar fasciitis myself. What has helped me is using a foot wheel to stretch out the plantar fascia each morning. After exercising, i will roll my foot over a frozen water bottle as well.

Usually, walking around being physically active on your feet will help stretch that ligament and the pain decreases. I have had plantar fasciitis for a while now, but the pain is less as i have lost weight and stretch the ligament more regularly. I don't know if it will ever go away completely but it can better.

This article describes the issue and has a good graphic on what is going on. I don't know about "curing" the problem though.

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/10/cure-plantar-fascitiis/