IS IT NECESSARY TO WATCH YOUR MACROS IN ORDER TO LOSE WEIGHT

Options

Replies

• IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Why wouldn't you though, if you were on this site that is?
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Nope, not necessary (for weight loss) imo - I don't track anything but calories
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Not necessary.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No. To be healthy? Yes.

Not true. I remained healthy for half a century without ever tracking a macro. And for most of that time I was slim and fit as well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No it is not necessary.

But, there are benefits, and MFP tracks it automatically, so it doesn't make sense to me to NOT track it.

This ^^ . If you are going to take the time to input all your food, why not see the whole picture? I wouldn't obsess over it, but it is nice information to have.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Calories = weight loss
    Macros = body composition (protein), healthy body functions (fat) and energy (carbs)

This is why I just recently started paying attention.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options

^^^ this!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I watch them. But I can't say as I do much about them.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I am concerned about my overall health so I really like being able to watch the macros, and I do adjust what I eat when I see I am low or high on a macro for the week.

I watch percentages of the three macros by the week and saturated fat specifically. I am also concerned about getting enough potassium (not specifically a macro but it's tracked), and getting too much cholesterol - at one point my blood cholesterol levels tested borderline high. I think tracking macros and other nutrients is a real service on this site.

At the same time, I do agree that if you know you are eating healthy, balanced meals, chances are your macros are going to look pretty good. But watching the macros, especially at first, helps you know what you need for balance.

Edit to add: I love the way the macros and nutrients/vitamins are listed on the Android app. There's a pie chart you can see by the day or week, and it always shows you saturated fat vs. poly and monounsaturated, as well as fiber, potassium and several vitamins. The tracking on the website isn't as good.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to them, but I don't obsess over them. I'm mindful of them, because I'm trying to eat more balanced, and it's a quick way to see if I'm achieving that. Also, if I've got calories left at the end of the day, and i feel like a snack after my walk/run, the macros will indicate which direction I should aim (would tonight be yogurt? an egg? maybe oatmeal?)

I find that they generally balance our over the course of a week though. So some days I'm over on fat and light on carbs - the next day might be the opposite.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Calories = weight loss
    Macros = body composition (protein), healthy body functions (fat) and energy (carbs)

Oh Sara I could not of said it better myself... I follow this to the letter... I maintain a good over caloric intake with a modest deficit to lose weight while tracking my 3 main macro's = Carbs, Proteins, and Fat's.....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No it is not necessary.

But, there are benefits, and MFP tracks it automatically, so it doesn't make sense to me to NOT track it.

This.

And it is not necessary to make your title all caps to get us to answer you

a564e11f_tumblr_m3b21iI9Ur1rv3ch6o1_400_zps1c9ebbfa.gif

QFT
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to obsess over getting enough protein, as most people do... but now I don't really keep track of any of my macros, just my calories. As I get closer to my goal weight, I might keep better track of macros for better body composition, but body recomp isn't my goal right now, it's getting all this fat off me first.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I try but I don't succeed all the time. Calories are the most important to me though. I've lost 35lbs and counting.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    I feel like you're missing the bigger picture if you don't focus on Macros. You can obviously lose weight by watching calories, but isn't the overall goal to be healthy?

You would think the overall goal would be to get healthy, but apparently a lot of people here have chosen vanity as their number one reason for weightloss.

To answer the op: If all you care about is the number on the scale and pant size then calories are all that matter. If you are wanting more than weightloss macros are important and yes part of the bigger picture.
  • mrshill2007
    mrshill2007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No it is not necessary.

This.

And it is not necessary to make your title all caps to get us to answer you

a564e11f_tumblr_m3b21iI9Ur1rv3ch6o1_400_zps1c9ebbfa.gif

QFT

Didnt know it was all caps...but if it offended you...your fault...
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I make an effort to keep those in line / fulfilled, because I don't want to look "skinny".... I want to look "awesome".

There are plenty of unhealthy ways to lose weight. I want to do it the healthy way.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs 2 years ago (then I had a baby, which is why i'm back to losing again) and did not worry about anything but calories.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I do not watch my macros, and I have lost just fine. I make a conscious effort to eat enough protein, but other than that, I don't pay too much attention. I am sure there are good reasons to watch them, but I haven't really.

same here, to the letter..the only macro I watch is protein..I lost all of my weight just watching calories and nothing else, but I am training for a marathon now and need to get the right amount of carbs and protien
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

Not true. I remained healthy for half a century without ever tracking a macro. And for most of that time I was slim and fit as well.
    You took that out of context, that's not what was meant. Calories have nothing to do with health.......they're just a unit of energy.