Is there like a C25K program for Weight LIfting?

Options
I love C25K and I have just started it again for the second time and I was wondering if there was something similiar for a total body weight lifting regimine that helps you know when to increase weight and what kinds of exercises to do. Getting kind of tired of my same old weight lifting routine, looking for something that will gradually increase with difficulty.

Replies

• Sallyafe1
    Options
    Hi JBG1987
    Yes, these is. His Name is Bob Green. He has written books, and is Oprah's fitness trainer. I train on his program and it works.
    Google, or library.
    Good Luck
    Sally afe1
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Look into Stronglifts. It can be daunting if you are female because everything is geared toward men but lots of women do it. I do and I love it! There is a Stronglifts for Women group right here on MFP.
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks!
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting - its a book & there is a group on here too.
  • egallagher13
    Options
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is easily the best on the market. Real weights, real advice, no bull**** and SERIOUS results. I'm a competitive powerlifter and that's what I would recommend.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is easily the best on the market. Real weights, real advice, no bull**** and SERIOUS results. I'm a competitive powerlifter and that's what I would recommend.

^^^ Starting this program tonight. I've been lifting a while, but I'm looking to get stronger. I wish I had started with this because it's dead simple.
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and some great answers..
  • Workingonme83
    Options
    bump
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is awesome. I don't follow that program, but the book itself is super awesome for learning how to do the exercises right.

It honestly depends on your goals, but if you're looking for a specific exercise training program... Starting Strength has a really solid beginner program included with it. Stronglifts 5x5 is also very good (and free)... and is very similar to the Starting Strength workout. Lastly I've heard a lot of women talking about New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. That one has less compound work and more isolation exercises though, personally I would recommend one of the first two.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I started out with the New Rules of Lifting for Women book (get the paperback, not the kindle/e-reader edition it's worthless). After getting through Stage 1, I switched over the the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. If you have an iphone there is a great Strong Lifts app. I love it. I wish I had started with Strong Lifts, but at the same time I'm happy I started with NROL4W because the Strong Lifts app doesn't allow you to enter less than 45lbs for your weight and before NROL I wasn't doing 45lbs with the barbell row, deadlift, bench press or shoulder press.
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting I started with Jamie Easons Live Fit trainer a 12 week program. And I really loved it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

At least worth checking it out ;)

Edited to say: Even if you don't follow the program her turkey chili recipe on there is AMAZING - highly recommended.
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is great, as is New Rules and StrongLifts. I did Starting Strength because I prefer compound exercises.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I like Chalean Extreme. Not lifting so heavy but easy to do at home.