shoulder disloation - advice needed

Thought about googling this, but instead, curious if any of you have any ideas on how to strengthen the muscles to get them into shape faster ? Herbs, protein, mild lifting, resistance training Etc. Any help would be appreciated, it huts just doing an hr on the treadmil,( hard ont to move them walking an incline ) but don't want to slide backwards. This happened 2 weeks ago and still hurts like heck. thanks

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Sounds like you're not at the point where you should be doing any upper body work at all. The best thing you can do right now is rest and let it heal.

If you're unsure, get a referral to a physical therapist.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Sounds like you're not at the point where you should be doing any upper body work at all. The best thing you can do right now is rest and let it heal.

Have to agree with this. Taking advice from strangers on the internet is one thing when you are fixing a leaky faucet, but for a dislocated shoulder your one and only source of advice should be a medical professional.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

Agreed if you can get a few appointments with a Physical therapist that would be the best place to start. They will devise a program to strengthen your shoulder and prevent this from occurring again.... Best of Luck
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I have a torn ligament in my shoulder and the exercises they gave me are to walk my fingers up the wall as high as I can and to take a small ball and roll it up and down the wall with my palm just to maintain a range of motion. Lay on the floor and move your arm from you side to over your head with elbow straight.

As I got so I could do those things without pain I moved onto very light weights with basic lifting moves and kept increasing weight.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    I still welcome advice, nutrionally or otherwise, am seeing a Dr today, my chiropractor and will not further injure myself I promise you all. Thanks mokey ; }
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member

Agreed if you can get a few appointments with a Physical therapist that would be the best place to start. They will devise a program to strengthen your shoulder and prevent this from occurring again.... Best of Luck

^^^^ THIS - I dislocated my shoulder in 1999 - and never got proper professional help - I now have major shoulder issues - and it seems it all stems from that injury (dead bone, floating bits etc)..... Both my physical therapist and surgeon just keeps on saying "this should have been identified, addressed / treated at the time of your first injury" At the time I saw my GP but all she did is prescribe some anti inflamatories......

Sooooo - get a proper scan done - make sure there are no other issues that will come to bite you in the future!!