Cooking is Hard

Options
Erin_goBrahScience
Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
I just saw a post wherein someone genuinely wanted tips on food, but then admitted to not liking to cook. While this is a valid choice, there was a comment that followed where someone stated that they too didn’t like to cook, and were lazy in terms of food.

First and foremost, if you don’t like to cook fine. This is not really directed to you, please move on.
However I know from my friends and people I know, often the reason against cooking is that it’s hard, takes too much time or that it’s too expensive.

To me, this is something that people have been told. There is a need for fast food, there is a need for premade dinners, there is a need for chemicals and fillers and boxed cake mixes and things made for you because cooking is hard. If it takes more than 30 minutes than it’s just too much. I mean Sandra Lee and Rachael Ray’s whole pitch is cheap, fast and easy.

So if you are on a website geared toward self health and improvement, why do some choose to believe that they are not able to nourish themselves by themselves? If we remove socioeconomic factors ( I totally understand the constraints of finances) why do people convince themselves that cooking is just too hard?

To quote Michael Ruhlman

“The World’s Most Difficult Roasted Chicken Recipe

Turn your oven on high (450 if you have ventilation, 425 if not). Coat a 3- or 4-pound chicken with coarse kosher salt so that you have an appealing crust of salt (a tablespoon or so). Put the chicken in a pan, stick a lemon or some onion or any fruit or vegetable you have on hand into the cavity. Put the chicken in the oven. Go away for an hour. Watch some TV, play with the kids, read, have a cocktail, have sex. When an hour has passed, take the chicken out of the oven and put it on the stove top or on a trivet for 15 more minutes. Finito.”

In today’s digital age there is more access to info than ever before. You are not too stupid to cook, and you can make time. You just choose not to.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I just read the greatest book "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School". It's pretty much about this premise that so many people don't know how to cook. The author describes a study she did with 9 volunteers who didn't know how to cook and either thought it would be too hard or that it was too scary.

I highly recommend this book! It's an easy read and she gives easy recipes for everything from making your own salad dressing to how to cut up an entire chicken. Tons of basics. And it's all focused on making REAL food, not stuff that comes from a box. I'm very motivated now!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Totally.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options
    I am sort of doing the same thing, I bought Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc book and we have been slowly making various meals. All are just whole food, technically prepared.

On the other hand, if I want to make something I look it up and find out how to do it, and then just keep going.

I am a huge fan of Alton Brown, Michael Ruhlman (umm quoted earler), and to an extent Martha Stewart. I think the point is, if you understand the process, than you better understand the outcome.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I personally love to cook, but I have always thought that the saying "if you can read, you can cook" was a very true one. I get compliments on things that I make all the time, and people fequently ask me "where did you learn to cook?" I just tell them that I taught myself, that I am constantly teaching myself and trying different things, which suprises some people for some reason.
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    I love to cook so it's hard not to imagine everyone getting off work and running into the kitchen as giddy as I am to start making a masterpiece, but in the same token it's not hard to toss a bunch of things into a crock pot and come home after work and enjoy it or spend 1 night a week prepping dinners for the remainder and freezing them if you are really that restrained for time. Society has been spoiled by the instant meal wave and brainwashed at the fact that it will suck your wallet dry if you choose to make dinners any other way.

I feel sorry for those who have to eat chicken volia as a dinner when making a great Chicken Marsala takes maybe 10-15 minutes / 2/3 dollars more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cooking *is* hard. I've been doing it for nearly 20 years. There are some things that I have perfected in that time, but there are still some things (like meatloaf or Alfredo sauce) that I can't get to taste as good as it should.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I personally love to cook, but I have always thought that the saying "if you can read, you can cook" was a very true one. I get compliments on things that I make all the time, and people fequently ask me "where did you learn to cook?" I just tell them that I taught myself, that I am constantly teaching myself and trying different things, which suprises some people for some reason.

I *hate* that expression. It's not true at all. Cooking requires more than the ability to read.

EDIT: Cooking YUMMY food requires more than the ability to read.
  • Puggy33
    Options

I *hate* that expression. It's not true at all. Cooking requires more than the ability to read.

But you are making an effort and have pointed out "specific" dishes that you have trouble perfecting (Use Asiago for alfredo, it's sooo good!) I believe the OP is talking about those that put the skill/action as a whole on blast because they are just too lazy to even attempt anything.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options

Yes and no. If it's finding a recipe you like, than that takes time. If it's perfecting a technique then that is just practice. But if you know how to search you can look up proper technique.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options

But you are making an effort and have pointed out "specific" dishes that you have trouble perfecting (Use Asiago for alfredo, it's sooo good!) I believe the OP is talking about those that put the skill/action as a whole on blast because they are just too lazy to even attempt anything.

Also regarding proper alfredo...its a sauce that should be done quickly. If you overcook the sauce will break.

But again, you can find tutorials online for just about anything.

@Puggy - that was exactly what I was getting at.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for those who have to eat chicken volia as a dinner when making a great Chicken Marsala takes maybe 10-15 minutes / 2/3 dollars more.

I LOVE to cook and am amazing at it. The same is true of my hubby. We cook a weeks worth of meals every weekend.... That said, I do love me some Chicken Voila and just realized that I don't think I have had any in over 3 years.....
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I love cooking. I just hate the cleanup.
    I've learned to clean as I go and it makes cooking so much more enjoyable.

And Alton Brown is a must for someone wanting to know how to cook. He really gives the science on behind the 'why' certain things get done a certain way in cooking, and what the different ingredients do for a food. Like the different types of protiens and fats in chocolate chip cookies.....

Plus he's just fun to watch.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I didn't choose to believe it, I realised a fact. Just because I have care needs and no care provider I shouldn't use this site unless I can cook for myself?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Cooking *is* hard. I've been doing it for nearly 20 years. There are some things that I have perfected in that time, but there are still some things (like meatloaf or Alfredo sauce) that I can't get to taste as good as it should.

Cooking is both easy and hard. It's not particularly difficult, as the OP noted, to roast a chicken. On the other hand, smoking a brisket and having it come out to the perfection of a Texas BBQ joint, that's hard.

I've gotten to the point where I feel reasonably competent with some things (pork ribs, pork shoulder, grilled tri-tip, steak, roast chicken all come to mind). But there are a ton of things I still need to get better at. I'm going to try my hand at making my own pastrami. I'm sure it will be better than typical grocery store pastrami. But on par with the pastrami that Meg Ryan had at Katz's in NYC in the movie "When Harry Met Sally"? You know, during her "women can fake it so good you can't tell" scene. Probably not on the first try, anyhow ;-)

Anyhow, I'm with both of you. Cooking wholesome, nutritious, satisfying food at home is not all that difficult. And cooking beyond that, to creating some of those fantastic dishes that we have in restaurants and want at home, is pretty darn difficult. But I love the challenge and keep trying.
  • GiantsGetDevoured
    Options
    TV dinners take out all the prep work,I can make a French bread pizza in 3 minutes. Nuken fo lifeeeee!
  • Puggy33
    Options
    Alfredo can be a pain in the *kitten* but i'd rather make it over say a vodka sauce which requires me to baby sit my damn stove for an hour lol
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Some things can be hard to get right, this is true. Cooking in general is not 'hard' though. People think it is hard to toss a chicken breast in the oven with some spices. In this age of fast and convenient we seem to have lost the desire to even try and cook. It is no wonder at all that obesity is a problem (yes, in me too. I am not pointing fingers). We have been trained to not cook for ourselves. Then the food companies do everything they can to make their foods addictive so we keep buying and eating more. Corporations do NOT have your best interest at heart, they only care that you buy more of their products.

If we have more people cooking their own food we would see a change in the direction of obesity.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Options

Cooking is both easy and hard. It's not particularly difficult, as the OP noted, to roast a chicken. On the other hand, smoking a brisket and having it come out to the perfection of a Texas BBQ joint, that's hard.

I've gotten to the point where I feel reasonably competent with some things (pork ribs, pork shoulder, grilled tri-tip, steak, roast chicken all come to mind). But there are a ton of things I still need to get better at. I'm going to try my hand at making my own pastrami. I'm sure it will be better than typical grocery store pastrami. But on par with the pastrami that Meg Ryan had at Katz's in NYC in the movie "When Harry Met Sally"? You know, during her "women can fake it so good you can't tell" scene. Probably not on the first try, anyhow ;-)

Anyhow, I'm with both of you. Cooking wholesome, nutritious, satisfying food at home is not all that difficult. And cooking beyond that, to creating some of those fantastic dishes that we have in restaurants and want at home, is pretty darn difficult. But I love the challenge and keep trying.

Ahh...charcuterie you and my husband would get along just fine. And that is skill beyond "cooking" and you know it.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Perhaps. I cook and bake at least 95% of the food that we eat. No take out and we tend to go out for dinner once per month.

Quite some time ago my husband asked me how all the food turned out so tasty and I jokingly said 'it's made with love' :-) Over time we've both come to believe this and we see it when we visit family for holiday meals. My MIL is a fantastic cook but in the last several years it's turned into a chore for her and so it's no longer 'made with love' (now it's made out of obligation) and you can tell. Heck when I'm 79 I doubt I'll feel much like feeding a crowd either! My mom is the same (she hasn't made a decent meal in a long time but then she's 90 and tired of standing in a kitchen.

When I was in my 20's I could bake and manage appetizers and basic meals. It wasn't until my 40's that I felt confident after many good and bad meals ;-). These days I make our bread, soups, casseroles, pizza and last weekend I made greek yogurt. Rome wasn't built in a day. And sometimes I still make things that are lousy but the good food outweighs the bad by about 25 to 1.

My advice would be pick something that you want to learn to make (soup for example or stir-fries) and master it by practicing once per week. Little by little as your confidence grows you may find that you're enjoying yourself.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Cooking is a skill, just like hunting, fishing, wood working, painting etc.

With any skill, people can fall into categories:

-Have the desire to pick up the skill, and natural talent, so they pick up on it quickly
    -Have the desire to pick up the skill, but need to work at it and are willing to put the work in to learn it
    -Have the desire to pick up the skill, but insufficient motivation so they gave up when the first thing they tried to do did not turn out perfectly.
    -Have no desire to pick up the skill, even if they have the talent, so they can't be bothered
    -Have no desire to pick up the skill because they don't see a need to.

Personally, I enjoy cooking and never really had a hard time with it. I can understand how people can get psyched out though, watching what passes for cooking shows these days. I gave up on the Food Network when it stopped being about the food and started being about the personalities. Some of the best cooking shows are on PBS these days - they actually talk about food and its preparation as opposed to being all about the cook.