Body Media Armband REVIEWS?

Options
I am trying to decide if I should make the investment in a body media armband? I have looked at the fitbit but I just don't see how it is completely accurate with your calories if can just get thrown in your pocket. I have an Android phone and an Ipad so I was wondering how the app works? I used to wear a pedometer and I loved it. I really like having goals and seeing the numbers so I am thinking this might help.

Can anybody give me a review or opinion!?

Thanks

Replies

• tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I got mine about a month ago... and the first day or two you notice that you are wearing and arm band but honestly now I notice more when I'm not watching it.

It really opened my eyes to my sleeping patterns and keeps me super accountable because I'll check in on the app after linking it (takes 2 quick steps) and see that my activity has been really low so I'll get up and clean or other active chores...

I definitely recommend it. I can get away with only charging mine twice a week since I don't keep it synced to the app constantly - only when I choose to.
  • saun5870
    saun5870 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Do you think the calories seem pretty accurate? And do you have an iphone or android? sorry for all the questions just don't want to make a big investment if it doesn't work very well with my phone :(
  • jfus14
    jfus14 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had a BMF (just regular one ) last year. It was fun and all but I admit I hated it after awhile especially in the summer because it was so clunky and big and hte probes on the monitor always left red marks on my skin.

I was thinking about getting the link and then I read some reviews on a blog online or maybe here comparing the both and there really was no difference. THe guy proved that they tracked just about the same.

That was my breaking point. I went out and got fitbit and I am in LOVE. It's small, discrete and It's totally keeping me accountable. I also heard it's on sale at target this week for $89.99!!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I really love mine! I showed me that I do burn a lot normally and that I am totally capable of achieving more. I have the Lin and right now (after 10 days) it has stopped linking to the web server but they are fixing it so it will be back up and running soon (even though its not syncing it is still recording. The customer service is great they are very helpful and prompt. Also I agree you don't notice that your wearing it after a while and I to only really notice it when I take it off. I love that it shows me how aged up I sleep (something I've known) but I Di not know it was that bad so I'm taking steps to improve that. Even with the glitch I would still buy it knowing that would happen.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I bought it used off eBay and the plan is just to use it for a short while to get accurate data, and then sell it in - hopefully not at a loss ( just the subscription fee),
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over a year. I did take a couple month break from it when I wasn't really working out or eating well, but I've been wearing it consistently since June now. I have the Link version with an Android phone, and I definitely would NOT recommend it. It's a pain to get the bluetooth to recognize it - when it does sync, I'm never sure what i did to make it sync, and I can't usually get it to do it again. It's just not worth it. I also cannot use the Activity Manager from work - it won't load. I went through customer service a few times, and the only time they could get it to work is if I cleared all my cache, history, and temp files, then completely shut down all your browsers (I tried it on all of them), and restart your PC in order for it to load. And then, when it times out, you can't load it again. I just gave up and started using MFP as a way to log my food and it links with the BM, and it's mobile ap is MUCH better, so that is the fix there.

As far as accurate - it's ok. From the beginning, the sleep monitor shows big chucks of time (at least an hour, sometimes more) in the middle of the night when I am supposedly up - not just lying down, but actually up and out of bed. I can assure you that I don't sleep walk, and I haven't been able to figure out why it stops recording my sleep. So, the accuracy of the sleep data is in question.

For steps, I also question those. I was on vacation and walking about 3 miles every morning, and it would record 5-6k steps. When I got home, I switched to my 4 mile walk, and it would only record 3k steps. When I had a pedometer, my treadmill 3 mile walks always got me at least 6k, but now 4 mile walks were not getting me even 3k. I doubt the accuracy of the pedometer.

For some reason, I figured that the calories burned was different than steps - I could see it being more accurate at that, and it has been, at least, consistent. However, I have had 500-1000 daily calorie deficits, and I have still gained weight. Now, I know I could easily be off 500 calories of eating, so I could see not losing 2 or 3 pounds, but I shouldn't GAIN weight. I now wonder if it is inaccurately inflating my burn.

All that said, I do wear it and use it, but I was reimbursed by my work for getting it, so that is definitely a factor. I'm not sure if I would recommend it, and I definitely would not recommend the link version.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's not terrible accurate for a lot of activities (stair climber, biking, elliptical, etc). It's annoying that people ask you about it ALL the time and you have to explain to them that you are trying to lose weight but no it doesn't magically MAKE you lose weight, etc. I'm using mine right now, but honestly if I could do it again, I wouldn't get it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. I also have the display device so I can see my calories burned, steps, and how many calories burned in a specific workout at any time. I put it on my calf when I ride my bike to get a more accurate number during that activity.

It allows me to tailor my eating to my activity without having to guess or estimate--you'd be surprised how many calories you burn getting ready to throw a party!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I posted on my friends list to see if anyone was finished with theirs. One of my lovely friends donated hers to me.
    Honestly once you get a baseline you have a good idea of how many calories you burn so you really need it only a month or so in my opinion.
    Ask around and see if someone will send you one.
  • Owataqt
    Options
    I ordered the core. It should be here tommorrow, just hoping that I too will love it
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi

I got one about 2 weeks ago as so far so good!

I don't have a display unit or anything so I just have to wait till I sync it on my computer to see the info. I actually find this really motivating as I sync at night so I spend the day thinking could I do more to make sure that calories burnt number is decent.

You get used to wearing it quickly although often I'll put it in my bra instead of wearing the strap on my arm ( I work in primary school and the endless questions from kids get annoying) and the numbers seem similar to when it's on my arm.

You might want to also check out this http://www.hypejar.com/CORE-2 i like the idea of the patch and probably would have got that over the full armband, I just wanted to know my average daily burn but it is nice to have all the other data.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi

I got one about 2 weeks ago as so far so good!

I don't have a display unit or anything so I just have to wait till I sync it on my computer to see the info. I actually find this really motivating as I sync at night so I spend the day thinking could I do more to make sure that calories burnt number is decent.

You get used to wearing it quickly although often I'll put it in my bra instead of wearing the strap on my arm ( I work in primary school and the endless questions from kids get annoying) and the numbers seem similar to when it's on my arm.

You might want to also check out this http://www.hypejar.com/CORE-2 i like the idea of the patch and probably would have got that over the full armband, I just wanted to know my average daily burn but it is nice to have all the other data.

I wouldn't wear it on your bra vthey say that's not accurate.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is more of a review of the apps for it than the armband itself. I think the apps have a way to go. It works ok with the ipad (admittedly, I still have the original ipad), but I have lots of trouble with my android phone. Admittedly it is not one of the "approved" android phones, but I don't think an app should be that restrictive as to only work with certain phones> Getting it to sync with the ipad usually takes 2 or 3 tries. Once it syncs, about a third of the time the sync button is grayed out and I have to do it again. Overall, it is easier to just take it off and sync it with the computer as opposed to going through the process with the mobile device.
    So if getting one to use mostly with mobile device, I would think twice about it until they improve their apps.
    Mike
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love mine after 7 months of use and it is a lot more accurate than a pedometer when I am cycling or doing the circuite training as there is a good corellation between it and the HRM FT7 that I also use when working out. It can tell the differance between bicep curls and walking.

edited to say that I use MFP for the food and the arm band for the exercise. and it all synces up fine.
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am just adding something that I thought of today. It doesn't register any of my weight training or isometric exercises as even moderate activity. I do aerobic activity daily - walking/running, and it will recognize that down to the minute, but when I am done, I do weight lifting and/or ab/leg/butt exercises, and it doesn't show them as exercising at all.
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am just adding something that I thought of today. It doesn't register any of my weight training or isometric exercises as even moderate activity. I do aerobic activity daily - walking/running, and it will recognize that down to the minute, but when I am done, I do weight lifting and/or ab/leg/butt exercises, and it doesn't show them as exercising at all.

I have noticed this problem too. I have been wondering wether to not wear the armband for my weighlifting and editing in off body time. Does anyone else have similar issues?? Do you wear your armband while lifting??

Any help would be great
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia! At first, I got a FitBit, but I had trouble getting it to sync. I'm glad this happened actually, because I discovered BodyMedia. I've had it for 3 weeks now. It's so much more accurate because the FitBit uses Wii controller technology (shake it and it'll count as steps/exercise). With the BodyMedia, I can shake it or move my arm around, and it won't count that as a step. It really does know when you are sitting/laying vs. walking vs. running. The technology is great.

It's just so easy to put it on and have it do all of the work. I don't have to worry about tracking anything on MFP with minutes/calories burned/etc... it does it all! Plus, it tracks your sleep (laying there vs actually sleeping).

The first week I got it, I lost 7 lbs. It really opened my eyes about what I was doing and pushed me to exercise more.

Plus, you can join EarndIt and EveryMove to get rewards for the exercise you do (syncs with the BodyMedia).
  • kikiloo
    kikiloo Posts: 14
    Options
    I had a Bodybugg for a long time, and upgraded to the Link. Love them both, and as my body changes so have my calorie burns so it's been nice to keep it accurate.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had the body media fit. It is the version that syncs with your smart phone. I had nothing but non-stop problems! After a couple months of non stop calling to customer service I gave up!! I loved the data that it has to offer and felt that it was fairly accurate.

I would use mine will weight lifting and also my heart rate monitor. The Body Media was in line with what my HRM was showing.

My advice is to skip the "Fit" version and just get the "Link". It is super easy to just sync on your computer.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I got one of eBay (from another MFP'er who upgraded) and honestly it's one of the best things I've done for myself. I realized that I'm burning WAY more than MFP estimates and causing myself a huge deficit instead of the 1000 cal/day one I wanted. I thought it was just my being so overweight that was causing the larger losses week by week but now I know there's an actual reason for it and can adjust. I want this to be slow and steady so it'll STAY off this time around.

I get up a couple times a night to go to the bathroom (dang water) and it shows the spikes in the right spots for me. My pedometer function seems to be okay for what I'm doing (my fiancee walks next to me with her actual pedometer and they seem to sync up pretty well). For me, personally, it's fantastic. Is it for everyone? Probably not. :)