Dash Diet Weight Loss Solution

Options
13»

Replies

• KenWNJ
    KenWNJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Snarky...good funny word. Snarky!!
    Minimal cheats so far on DASH Phase 1. Will be done with P1 on Monday.
    I am trying to break old eating habits, and have been pretty successful during the day.
    Working-out in the evening helps...but night-time is a killer!!! Suggestions?
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Snarky...good funny word. Snarky!!
    Minimal cheats so far on DASH Phase 1. Will be done with P1 on Monday.
    I am trying to break old eating habits, and have been pretty successful during the day.
    Working-out in the evening helps...but night-time is a killer!!! Suggestions?

I'm jealous! I'd be done with Phase one Sunday if I hadn't had that three day disaster last weekend. Totally not worth it (except maybe the pizza, that was good, lol). Now I'm back on track. Day 4 and down 4 pounds. My husband and I are determined to stick it out the full 14 days this time and are going to be good this weekend even with a planned date night tomorrow night. It's only 10 more days and the results are well worth it!

We were doing Insanity at night before the holidays but it got to be too much for us. By the time we get the kids in bed I've had a long day and am ready to collapse. I just want to catch up with him and relax. I do plan to get back into working out but will do it during afternoon nap time when I have more energy.

If you workout do you still find you are having night cravings? That always killed my apetite. Now I just have something small. And try a warm beverage that definitely helps. Once you are in phase two maybe a little chocolate fat free milk?
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the dash book today. Reading for info and think I will start tomorrow. I'm always looking for a healthier way to eat.
  • KenWNJ
    Options
    Well don't be jealous! I hopped off the wagon this weekend. It's amaziing how easy it is to gain back the weight after losing it. I'm going to stay in P1 for the remander of this week. Just to get back on track...but not much longer.

I go to workout right after work, then go home. Then I eat after about 30 minutes. My cravings are nothing more than boredom, I have to work on it....I have to break the habit of eating at night. I'll breakthrough...I hope.

I know this sounds crazy, but have you tried working out in the morning before the kids wake-up? My wife does that and it really gets her day off to a great start....physically and emotionally.
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    Well don't be jealous! I hopped off the wagon this weekend. It's amaziing how easy it is to gain back the weight after losing it. I'm going to stay in P1 for the remander of this week. Just to get back on track...but not much longer.

I go to workout right after work, then go home. Then I eat after about 30 minutes. My cravings are nothing more than boredom, I have to work on it....I have to break the habit of eating at night. I'll breakthrough...I hope.

I know this sounds crazy, but have you tried working out in the morning before the kids wake-up? My wife does that and it really gets her day off to a great start....physically and emotionally.

Ha! Sounds like we had similar weekends. I was reasonably good Saturday (even with a date night out) and then blew it Sunday. The weekends are so hard. I can stick with this so easily 5-6 days a week. I'm staying in Phase 1 until I've lost about 10 pounds no matter how long that is and then I'll go into phase 2.

I am SO not a morning person or I would work out before the kids get up. Some days they are up by 6 so that would have to be super early and I just can't do it. But, the afternoon workout has always been a good time for me. I can get it in, sometimes get the little ones to join me which can be fun (or not depending on the day...lol), and get a shower in before my oldest gets home on the bus. And I find when I do that I eat much more sensibly the rest of the day because I'm feeling fit and good. I really just need to get back into a routine of this again. It's been too long. I've got a new Jillian Michaels DVD I think I'm going to crack open and see if that motivates me.
  • KenWNJ
    Options
    I hear you about the morning...it's tough. I do have a suggestion about curbing your weekend binges. I followed Body for Life a few years back and did very well. Bill Phillips recommends giving yourself one day where you don't worry about what you eat....staying within reason. He said this resets the metabolism, in addition to putting off those crave binges that could boil over. Instead of a day, I modified this to one meal on a Saturday or Sunday. Maybe try doing this...it'll give you something to look forward to, while also staying within reasonableness.

If that Jillian Michaels DVD is anything like her workouts on The Biggest Losers....good-luck! My kids are really into watching the show. They're no way near heavy...but they like to see the the people losing weight and reaching their goals. Good-luck!
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    I actually did a diet plan with a similar philosophy awhile back called the Spike diet. Same idea where you can have one "cheat" day to keep your metabolism running and make it easier to stay good the rest of the week if you know you have that day to look forward too. My falling off the wagon with the diet on the weekends seems to be working in a similar way where I'm up for a couple days after and then drop down below where I was and I seem to be averaging about 2 pounds a week loss doing the DASH phase 1 plan 5-6 days and going off plan 1-2 days. My problem is that moderation really isn't my thing... lol. If I go off the plan for lunch I will just say the day is already blown so lets go big and get pizza and wine for dinner. So, I'm a little wary for just going ahead and giving myself license to go off the diet at all on the weekends. I know that I probably will but if I make it an official plan then it's going to become more than a day or two...if that makes sense. At least for now. I think once I get another 5-10 pounds off and I'm pretty close to my goal then maybe I'll think about doing that to lose slowly/maintain.

Ha! Yes, Jillian is a beat. I love her! It's great that your kids watch! I DVR it and usually watch with my husband after the kids are in bed but maybe I should watch with at least my first grader. She is really into healthy food and being healthy and all that so she would like the show.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    I just finished phase one with a 9 1/2 lb. loss in two weeks.(Yay!) Not bad, but I'm curious and a little nervous to see what phase two holds for me. I stayed full and really liked all the foods. I'm on day two of phase two, so still way too early to tell how adding back in fruit and carbs will affect me. I could do without bread and it wouldn't bother me, so I may do that if I don't keep seeing the results I need to. We'll see. :happy:
  • jgasbarre
    Options
    I can't' have dairy or egg but I really wanted to do the DASH diet. Any suggestions or am I out of luck?
  • Watson_20
    Watson_20 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm on a DASH diet too, but I have to maintain my weight and I have a history of hypertension. Also I'm on a "Heart Healthy Diet". The diets I'm on, I have to follow this:

2,000 calorie diet

Low Fat: Less than 65g per day

Low Saturated Fat: Less than 15g per day

Low Sodium: Less than 2,000 mg per day.

High Fiber: 25g per day.

My goal for protein is around 100g per day. Give or take on the protein. Also I'm on a "Post-Operative Bariatric Surgery".
  • Watson_20
    Watson_20 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that there is a group on this site called "DASH diet".