Doing a food shop on Friday, have only £15/$24.14 HELP?!

Options
2»

Replies

• libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Brown rice
    Lentils
    Chickpeas
    Frozen vegetables- they are great, have good vitamins in them
    Tinned tomatoes (make a sauce with them, just simmer with a little oil if you have it).

Also, try these people http://foodforall.org.uk/
    Hare Krishna Food for All

07946 420 827

102 Caledonian Road
    London N1 9DN

Map

Monday–Saturday:
    12am–1pm
    (Caversham Rd)

Monday–Saturday:
    1pm–1:45pm
    (Arlington Rd/Inverness St)

Monday–Saturday:
    2pm–2:30pm
    (York Way)

Monday–Friday:
    12:45am–1:45pm
    (LSE and SOAS)

Monday–Friday:
    10am–4pm
    (computer centre etc)

Monday–Thursday:
    7:30pm–8:30pm
    (Lincoln’s Inn Fields)

Education & training
    Free food
    Internet access
    Leisure activities
    Music classes

Computer training centre, yoga and music. Delicious food made with pure vegetarian ingredients.

Plus a list of free food distributors here:
    http://www.thepavement.org.uk/services.php?facility=&service=13&city=1

Good luck!
  • Annewx
    Annewx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok here are some things you can get for a week.
    Container of Oatmeal ( will last you a week or two)
    Dozen eggs, 2 eggs a day, you can have for bkfst, lunch or dinner.
    Get some vegetables, and if you eat meat and chicken buy one whole chicken, usually the cheapest by pound or chicken leg quarters. And Maybe a lb of beef and separate all that into a weeks worth of meals,
    If you eat rice, buy a small bag and you can add veggies to it, have an egg over it.

good luck

Thats interesting, I'm not really into dairy and can't really afford meat. But I'll pop too my local supermarket and see how much it'll cost! I love my vegetables, haven't came across one I dislike yet! So thats good. Thanks for the advice though! ♥

Well that's great that you love veggies, Cabbage is usually cheap by the lb, you can buy a wole head of cabbage and sauté it with other veggies and make a stir fry.

Check out how much chicken cost per lb, it may be $5-$6 for 4-5 lbs. you just have to check the price per lb. or whatever measurement they price it at. And that can be used for 4-5 meals for one person.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are usually a good price.
    For bkfst bananas are great and a good price. I can get 4-5 bananas for a little over a $1 and a banana is very filling.

Ah, cabbage. I love the juice you get from when you cook it..lol. I drink it! But yeah, I need to look around and find out where these are cheap in my local supermarkets!

So you just split the chicken up? Can you freeze the chicken? Sorry, I'm seeming right dumb. :ohwell:

Ah, potoatos in the UK cost alot. They've gone up for some reason.. and same with bananas but I'll look about! :)

Bananas do not cost a lot! They are (or were) 68p per kg in Tesco. Although I think they have gone up a few pence. But you can get 4/5 bananas for around £1 so try tesco for bananas!