Should I have a "day off" for my exercise?

Beth1978
Beth1978 Posts: 19
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay, I have only been doing this for a week, but I can't decide. Right now, I am totally "gung-ho" to lose the weight that I gained since my daughter was born. I don't mind exercising on a daily basis, but should I take a day off? I am really motivated to lose nearly 40 pounds before I go to Mexico at the end of July. My sister-in-law (also a member) and I even have a challenge going between the two of us to see who will be the "bigger loser." This is also very motivating for me.

So...should I take a "day off?" Or should I set aside a day that is just "lighter" on the exercise? I don't want to lose my momentum that I got this week!

Replies

• TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Keep going for a couple of weeks then give your body a break.
  • carp68
    carp68 Posts: 42
    I exercise 5 days a week and take the weekends off. Your body needs a chance to rest especially if you're doing any weight training.

That's just my schedule now. In the beginning, I rode my bike or walked 7 days a week...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Weight loss is 80% Nutrition anyway, by all means, take an off day and let your muscles recover.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Yes. I hate taking a day off sometimes, but your body needs time to recover...especially if you're just getting back into a fitness routine. I work out 6 days a week (sometimes 2 workouts a day) and my body just aches on my day off. Take a day off, otherwise you might have to take a few weeks off! Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    You need to take days off to let your body heal. It doesn't build muscel without breaks.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Absolutely take a day or two off per week... especially if you're doing strength training! If you do some very low intensity yoga (stretching and meditation, but not core building or anything) then you can continue that activity on your days off if you like.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Its wise to take breaks, but as long as your "day off" consists of light exercises like walking you should be fine. I know some times on my rest days I just can't resist doing a workout, and I do something light anyway. Just make sure you give your body proper time to recover on the strenuous days though. Listen to your body, it knows what's best for it!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Definitely take a day off. If you work the same muscles repeatedly every day, and especially if you do weight training, your body absolutely NEEDS time off for your muscles to recover. I know it's tough, I always feel like a slacker on my days off (I do 5 days a week) even if I busted my butt the day before. But it's really best for you.

If you absolutely can't stand the thought of doing nothing, just go for a short walk (not a power walk, just leisurely to get moving a little), or do some yoga and stretching.

I generally do three days working out, 1 day off, two days working out, 1 day off.
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Even God rested on the seventh day. :)
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    I take the weekends off, only doing light exercise. I take the baby to the park, walk the 1/2 mile to get the mail, play basketball with my not-so-little (the kid is 6'5''!) little brother. Just easy fun stuff!
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    i dont keep a set day to take off but when things come up, ie not feeling well, extra tired, evening out, etc then i take a day off without feeling guilty. if i took a set day off and then had to take other days for emergencies it is easy to start adding up. this method works for me. good luck on your weight loss.
  • vpocino
    vpocino Posts: 6 Member
    You will note that you have much more energy to exercise on the day after your day off. I have found it worthwhile to take one day off or sometimes two. Just eat a tad lighter on those days. Keep your body off balance by changing both your eating and exercise regimen.
This discussion has been closed.