Egg whites/yolks

Options
If you use egg whites for something, what do you do with the egg yolks? Just throw them all away?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i bought liquid egg whites so i don't have to waste the yolks.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i bought liquid egg whites so i don't have to waste the yolks.

Me too. :) You can get pretty creative with cosmetic uses for egg yolks, however. Apparently they're good for your hair.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/11483/bearnaise+sauce, this is my favorite

and http://www.squidoo.com/eggyolkuses#module3851316

but i only use egg whites for meringues and I haven't made them for years.

when I eat eggs I eat the whole egg
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My dogs love them, they have amazing coats. Most of the time, I just eat the whole thing.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered that too. I've seen cartons of just egg whites but they are always more expensive than just getting a carton of eggs.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    eat the yolks
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I never remove the yolks unless a recipe calls for egg whites, such as in an angel food cake. The yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg.
    I should add, after making something like a cake that calls for egg whites only, I usually search for recipes that use the yolk only; Sponge cake for example.
  • Kimmybean13
    Kimmybean13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I turn the egg yolks into a low fat Dukan hollandaise sauce most of time, or hunt down diet recipes where they can be incorporated on their own.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I put the yolks under my pillow for the "egg yolk fairy". She takes them and gives me a dollar in return! However, she hasn't visited in a while and my bedroom is starting to smell kinda weird! :sick:

Actually, I buy liquid egg whites...
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I put the yolks under my pillow for the "egg yolk fairy". She takes them and gives me a dollar in return! However, she hasn't visited in a while and my bedroom is starting to smell kinda weird! :sick

Actually, I buy liquid egg whites...

LMAO!!!! I am sorry this was really funny.

To the OP, I am surprised you asked that. Of course you would throw it away or down the sink drain into the garbage disposal.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A large egg represents less than 4% of the daily calorie intake of a person eating 2,000 calories a day; it provides 10% of a person's daily recommended protein, and valuable iron, B vitamins, and minerals, including the folate recommended for pregnant women.
  • tkfree
    tkfree Posts: 3
    Options
    I wasn't asking for a smart alec response...I was just asking to see if there was something they could be used for instead of throwing them away and wasting them..

I will just use the whole egg from now on.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well it does really depend - are you just making something like an omelette where a whole egg would work? Or merignues or something where you really only need the whites?

I usually buy both a carton of whites, and some whole eggs. If I'm out of the egg white carton and I need just a white, I'll give the yolk to my dog, or else make home made mayo with it. I'd certainly hate to just throw it away!
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My dogs love them, they have amazing coats. Most of the time, I just eat the whole thing.

Oh man, I feel so stupid now. Pups will get a surprise tomorrow!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If I have a recipe that calls for just whites or just yolks, I usually save whatever doesn't go into the recipe and eat it with my breakfast eggs the next day - extra whites, extra yolks, it's all good. :smile: Or sometimes if it's yolks, I use them for french toast - super rich and yummy.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    eat the yolks
    yup yummy and good for you!
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat them, hey comprise have of the protein of the egg and all of the HDL/high density lipoprotein or "good cholesterol" that helps to lower the LDL/low density lipoprotein or "bad cholesterol" levels. Plus they contain choline and plenty of other nutrients. I believe the choline helps with either brain function or vision. Well they a nutrient that helps with one and one that helps with the other, its been a while since I did a research paper on eggs but it was quite interesting to see all of the benefits of consuming the egg yolks.