weights & cardio

Options
I don't have a money for a personal trainer, and you find such differing opinions online (as I am sure I will here) but I am curious.

Normally when I work out I do about 15 minutes cardio, it was walking/jogging (but my foot isn't liking that) so I have been doing the upright bike.

Then I go do weights. I generally do my arms one day, my legs another, my shoulders/abs another. So I never work out the same muscles two days in a row. When I do weights I usually do the most I can "lift" for 15 reps 3 times. Is that how I should be doing it? I have heard doing 12 reps, but I am not sure which is best for me.

After I do weights I do 60 minutes cardio, generally on the elliptical. When I am on the elliptical I vary what I do, the difficulty, etc. So it's not like it's the same.

I am not unhappy with my results I have, but I really don't know much about weights and want to make sure I am doing the best I can for my body.

Thank you!

Replies

• cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Would probably need to know more about you to give a really good recommendation. Stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty good program for beginners...
  • sewcute
    sewcute Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I guess what do you want to know?

(although I shouldn't talk to you since you're a hawkeye fan :p since I am a panther ;) )
  • notthatthis
    Options
    check out the workouts on nowloss.com - excellent for showing how to be anaerobic (weights) and cardio at the same time. Simply put, this is how "Biggest loser", "year to save my life" and all the others now encourage people to lose weight. Not one or the other but both at the same time.

Lighter weight, timed intervals, shorter rest periods, high heart rate, 7-9 on the Borg Scale - 40 minutes hardwork.
  • sewcute
    Options
    There's a lot of good information, but I just don't know where to look. . .I guess I am looking for an "easy" answer.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Buy Starting Strength and read it. Do Allpro's Simple Beginner Routine. Eat based on your goals.
  • Obey46
    Obey46 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    well depends on your goals.

15 reps is kinda high but low enough to be effective... and more effective at burning calories then building mass. If your looking to slim down, it sounds like a good plan to me.

Might also consider circuit training for a little extra burn

personally, i think an hour day on any machine that locks you into a plane of motion is to much. I actually hurt my back like that, but others will have no problems. but if you start developing back or joint issues consider a treadmill, jump rope, or HIIT
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    where you're at and where you want to be would be very helpful input
  • notthatthis
    Options
    There's a lot of good information, but I just don't know where to look. . .I guess I am looking for an "easy" answer.

Easy answer or easy solutions? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VancLrUSIik

the video demonstrates building a cardio/anaerobic circuit with only a few exercises - exercise knowledge and using multi-joint movements (not necessarily compound!!!) will get the heart rate up and the glycogen/atp burning and the glycogen/atp gets replaced by the body using fat stores when operating at a calorie deficit.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    I recommend Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    It includes a 12-week schedule, printable logs for each day, videos detailing how to complete movements, and an eating plan (which I do not use). I have two friend who have completed the program with great results, I am currently in late Phase 1 and feel stronger each session.

I tend to stick with 8-12 reps. If I feel like I can go to 15-20, time to increase the weight, Imo.
  • sewcute
    Options
    well depends on your goals.

15 reps is kinda high but low enough to be effective... and more effective at burning calories then building mass. If your looking to slim down, it sounds like a good plan to me.

Might also consider circuit training for a little extra burn

personally, i think an hour day on any machine that locks you into a plane of motion is to much. I actually hurt my back like that, but others will have no problems. but if you start developing back or joint issues consider a treadmill, jump rope, or HIIT

I do try to vary what I do on the machine. Sometimes I hold a medicine ball above my head, sometimes I go faster, I can also change the "incline" on this machine, so I vary that a lot, so my position isn't the same. I know an hour is a lot, but I have a condition that requires me to put in a of work to see very minimal weight loss. (ie a normal person might lose twice as much as me doing the same stuff).
  • sewcute
    Options
    where you're at and where you want to be would be very helpful input

I am currently at 200 lbs, I have lost about 23 lbs so far.

I would like to be healthy, so I could possibly have children some day.
  • sewcute
    Options
    I recommend Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    It includes a 12-week schedule, printable logs for each day, videos detailing how to complete movements, and an eating plan (which I do not use). I have two friend who have completed the program with great results, I am currently in late Phase 1 and feel stronger each session.

I tend to stick with 8-12 reps. If I feel like I can go to 15-20, time to increase the weight, Imo.

I shall check it out. Generally it's a struggle for me to get to 15 reps. I can usually get to 12 no problem. There will be multiple times I have to push myself to get to 15.