coffee creamer alternatives

Options
Any help? I'm terrible with the creamer. 200 cals easily just for a few cups of coffee. And I can't stand it "black".

Replies

• cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    2% milk?
  • amberdust
    Options
    i used to be the same way! i can't drink bad coffee black, but i can drink it now with just a splash of skim milk.

i found that weaning myself off the creamer and sugar and into low fat milk was the best option. just reduce it by 1/4th each week. or 1/10th each day. eventually you will train yourself to like it differently
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Only 30-40 calories per CUP!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree with weening yourself off of it to use less. For some reason, at least what I have seen in my travels, Americans especially love loading their coffee up with tons of cream and sugar where it ends up less like coffee and more like melted coffee ice cream. amberdust is right on, gradually reduce what you use every week and it is pretty easy (I did the same years ago).
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't make your coffee as strong as you usually do. You will be able to use less half and half.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I use the "So Delicious" brand coconut milk coffee cream. I get the french vanilla flavor. It's really good and 20 cals for 1 tbsp. A little goes a long way. I usually use 1/2 tbsp.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help at 45 calories a tbsp. I wouldn't give up my International Delight Hershey chocolate and caramel coffee creamer. I have 2 tbsp in my morning cup and is so worth the 90 calories.. Best of Luck though....
  • MarieRN0304
    Options
    I use 70-80 Cals of flavored creamer in 1 huge cup of coffee every morning. Refuse to give mine up. ;0)
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how much you love it and weather or not those cals are worth it to you.

I love my coffee. I wake up looking forward to it. I've tried using skim milk and less sugar, but when it comes down to it...I really really love my french vanilla flavored creamer. I make it work by using a bit less than I used to.....I am now used to the lesser amount and if I drink it with my previous amount, it tastes way too sweet. For me...the cals are worth it. I make it fit into my day because I love it that much.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Double check the nutritional values in the database too. I refuse to give mine up but have moved to the sugar free and fat free of it.
  • Bunniculette
    Bunniculette Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    the almond milk idea is something i am going to have to try!!

Thus far I just treat my "fancy" coffee as a treat (ie: i get one..if i need more coffee it's just skim milk!)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I use land-o-lakes fat free half and half. only 20 calories for a two tablespoon serving. I usually use one serving per cup of coffee. Sometimes a bit less. This would give you 5 cups of coffee for 100 calories.
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    looks like I'll be trying weaning then. i cant imagine putting skim milk in my coffee, i want it to taste like ice cream, dang it! (lol, so true) I still don't even buy skim milk... i would rather go without.

I have this GIANT Starbucks coffee mug that my mom got some sort of coffee gift in..... and i would say it's at least 2, maybe 3 normal "cups" of coffee. (Now I'll have to measure and find out) and in that I have 6 tablespoons of creamer..... so i think tha'ts 2-3 tablespoons for a normal cup.

Tomorrow I'll try the giant cup with just 3-4 tablespoons and try to wean down from there to 1-2. I'll probably not love it but it'll be drinkable.... and you're right, eventually I'll just get used to it. Maybe one day I'll even enjoy a cup of black coffee. (Doubtful, but a girl can dream.) I'd at least feel better if my coffee was 30-60 cals rather than a whopping 180
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    find better coffee that doesn't need to be diluted with milk to taste good.
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Light Soy Milk - Few calories and lots of protein in it... :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    How much freaking creamer are you putting in your coffee??!!
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I've taken to using the sugar free french vanilla. 15 cal per tablespoon (for the coffee mate brand - international delight is 20 per) and I use 1.5 tablespoons per cup of coffee. 4 cups of coffee = 6 tablespoons creamer = 90 calories.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the sugar free ones? Coffee mate makes a sugar free Caramel Macchiato that is only 15 calories a serving.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

his is true. Brewing coffee at a hotter temp or buying coffee that just tatses better helps a whole lot. I like to bring my water to a boil on the stove while maybe a half a cup of water only brews in the coffee maker. Then I just pour the hot stove water through the filter basket. The purpose of running a small amount of water through the pot first is so that you can turn the pot on and the burner will keep it warm without ruining the coffee maker.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

THIS.
    I mean, I still use cream and sugar, but significantly less when I'm using good coffee.
    I get gourmet coffee at Winco- the flavored kind. I LOVE Dark Chocolate Cherry and Cinnamon Swirl.