Yoga for strength

Options
Is doing yoga enough as far as "strength training" goes? I really hate lifting weights and i dont have access to a gym. It's boring for me and if it's boring i wont stick with it long enough to get any benefit. I primarily walk or go on the elliptical for exercise since it burns more calories.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I think so, but it doesn't burn that many calories either.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can gain a moderate amount of strength and stability from Yoga, sure.
    Unless you're talking the kind of Yoga that resembles actual gymnastics work, then you won't get -strong- from it.

You can get pretty strong without any weights at all, with a system like You are your own gym. Doing things like pull ups, chin ups, L-sits, dragonflags, handstand pushups, planche pushups...
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    If you are doing power or a vinyasa type yoga pretty regularly, then you can indeed build a fair amount of strength by doing it. But it will not get you "ripped" like weightlifting or even intense bodyweight workouts will do. But, the key is finding something you like to do, so if you like doing yoga and not much else, yoga is better than nothing. :-)
  • jdcasey613
    Options
    Have you thought about pilates too? I think that focuses a little more on strength. And a resistance band is a very useful tool for strength training instead of weights and they take up almost no room. I also like to do other strengthening exercises that don't require equipment, like push-ups, planks, calf raises, squats, and lunges. Just throw on a couple of sets of some of these at the end of a cardio session and it will help with strength without using weights.