Nuts are so boring

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Im not a fan of most nuts....but Pistachios make me happy.

wasabi!
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Find nuts that you like. I don't like them all but LOVE cashew nuts. And I eat peanut butter daily. Buy a mixed bag and see which ones are your favourites.

Try other healthy fats such as oils or avocado, etc.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    roasted walnuts + roasted almonds + roasted pistachios + roasted cashews. Chop em up into big chunks. Put them in a bottle till the bottle is filled then put some honey into it, enough so that honey is barely there being used as a glue. About 90 calories per tbsp and really yummy and really nutritious.

You can always just roast the nuts of your choice (almonds being mine) and put them on a tbsp full of honey. Again, super food specially if the honey is local since local honey helps build immunities against allergies
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    get some almonds and either cinnamon or chocolate roast them! so good! and all you need to do either is cinnamon or cocoa powder

Ooh, cinnamon nuts sound scrumptious :love:
    you can buy them already like that theres some sugar added to but they are verrrrry good
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Tamari almonds from the whole foods store.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Emerald Nuts makes an assortment of pre-made nut mixes, and they are really tasty.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Try a handful of mixed nuts instead all the same kind. I also like to have some dried fruit with nuts, usually dried apricot with almonds. Spiced nuts are easy and there are a lot of recipes online. It usually involves coating nuts with egg white or oil and a salt/sugar/spice mixture and cooking in the oven or stovetop. Yummy if your really looking for something different and great on salads.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Yuck, hazelnuts! I truly dislike hazelnuts, but I love pistachios and walnuts and almonds and pecans aren't bad. If you need extra fat, add some walnuts to various dishes. They work well in cereals and oatmeal as well as a lot of other dishes. I have a great baked salmon recipe that uses a pecan crusting.

You can also just use more oils in your cooking. Add it to your veggies and salads and such. Quick and easy and usually makes things taste better.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    roasted walnuts + roasted almonds + roasted pistachios + roasted cashews. Chop em up into big chunks. Put them in a bottle till the bottle is filled then put some honey into it, enough so that honey is barely there being used as a glue. About 90 calories per tbsp and really yummy and really nutritious.

You can always just roast the nuts of your choice (almonds being mine) and put them on a tbsp full of honey. Again, super food specially if the honey is local since local honey helps build immunities against allergies

I like the sound of the honey
  • Chocolate dipped almonds!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    I agree with everyone on the nut butters. Or, planters makes an "almond chocolate crunch" that has some m&ms in it and vanilla covered almonds. Maybe not the best choice for every day, but something different, anyways.

That said, i looked through your diary back to the last day of 2012 and your fat intake actually seems pretty reasonable except for one day it was at 41 grams or so. Maybe you've been trying to step it up since then and I didn't go back far enough? At any rate...if the last two weeks is representative of how you eat your fats, i just don't know if that's your problem.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    2 tablespoons of peanut or almond butter on a tortilla, half of a banana sliced, drizzle of honey and some mini chocolate chips. DELICIOUS
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Check with your doctor. There are other reasons for hair issues. Another common one, for example, is vitamin D deficiency.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Yuck, hazelnuts! I truly dislike hazelnuts, but I love pistachios and walnuts and almonds and pecans aren't bad. If you need extra fat, add some walnuts to various dishes. They work well in cereals and oatmeal as well as a lot of other dishes. I have a great baked salmon recipe that uses a pecan crusting.

You can also just use more oils in your cooking. Add it to your veggies and salads and such. Quick and easy and usually makes things taste better.

Send me your salmon recipe, I eat salmon almost every day.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    i love nuts in my mouth....cashews and pistachios are my favorites.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Well I think so any way :smile:

I am in maintenance, and the condition of my hair seems to be deteriorating. I suspect that this may be due to me not hitting my daily fat macro. I eat fish but not meat, and am trying to increase my fat intake healthilly, and to this end, I have started eating nuts.

I have just finished a 40g bag of hazelnuts and found them truely uninspiring.

Any tips on how to make them more interesting without upping the calorie intake significantly.

Oh, and keep it clean :wink:

Oily fish like mackerel or sardines, avocado, olives, block creamed or unsweetened dessicated coconut, peanut butter, other nuts, seeds, cocoa powder are all good sources of healthy fats. You don't have to eat the nuts dry or on their own: use sliced almonds or chopped nuts to top any sweet or savoury meal, cook or bake with them, purchase flavoured almonds, eat with fresh or dried fruit.

My new favourite snack is low fat soft cheese blended with cocoa powder, peanut butter, natural sweetener and served with black forest fruits. Healthy fats, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, fibre, dairy.

ETA looking at your diary I don't think your fat intake is necessarily the issue. You are not eating anywhere near enough mineral and fibre rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, wholegrains), nor enough fruit and veg. Try to eat more real food and cut back on the ready made snacks. IF nutrition is the cause of your hair issues my gut instinct would be a micronutrient not a macronutrient deficiency. probably a mineral.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Toast them. Or, try other nuts. Maybe hazelnuts just aren't your thing, try almonds, brazil nuts, cashews etc.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I'm also a little hooked on Jalapeno Smokehouse almonds. Blue Diamond has some pretty good flavors if you want to switch it up
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Check with your doctor. There are other reasons for hair issues. Another common one, for example, is vitamin D deficiency.

This, esp. since I looked at your other days with reasonable 70-90 gram fat intakes. Other vitamin/mineral deficiencies, too. Or start taking a multi and see if it helps.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    How bout some flaxseed?

Higher than fish in omega 3's, or so it claims on the label.
    low in cals and fat
    easy to add to oats, muffins, pancakes, use as a vegan thickener in place of egg....
    just make sure it's ground. your body can't digest the whole seed.
    you can buy it whole and grind it in coffee grinder or
    buy it already ground
    store in the freezer