Adding protein to smoothies? Yes or No?

Options
I am trying to get over a plateau. I've lost 33 lbs and part of that was drinking smoothies in the morning. My typical smoothie is 1 cup of fat free skim milk, half a cup of strawberries, 1 tbs. of peanut butter for flavor, protein and to help feeling fuller longer. I am not into almond milk as it has more fat, more sugar, more carbs and I eat enough nuts the rest of the day. Does anyone use a soy or protein mix to add to their smoothies? I only work out 3 times a week and definitely not a weight lifter. I am afraid if I eat too much protein, the excess protein will just turn to fat. Please only answer if I should use protein additive based on what I just informed you is my lifestyle. My diary is open for reference as well. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Why not use a protein powder? Personally I think the only way you really benefit from a smoothie is if there is protein in it. I make a smoothie with EAS 100% Whey protein, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (low carb and no sugar), 1/2 cup of frozen fruit, and some ice. It is 180 calories, 12 carbs, 4 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein. It keeps me full for hours.

What gives you the idea 'excess' protein will turn to fat? Healthy women should eat approx. 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight, on average. I weigh 110 pounds and I strive to get atleast 80 grams of protein on a regular day, a lot of times 100 grams and I lift weights but I'm definitely not a bodybuilder. :wink:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much of anything it will turn to fat....As long as it's within your calorie goal, protein will keep you full for longer...It will not magically turn into fat.....
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are calcium enriched OJ and a low fat yogurt, with half a scoop of protein powder. I prefer to eat my fruit rather than drink it.

Variations include: coffee yogurt with choc pp
    Creamsicle - all vanilla, all the time
    Gringersnap - like creamsicle but with ginger & cinnamon

I only drink them on Sundays when I'm in a hurry. Otherwise OJ is drunk after a workout, a banana is eaten someplace in their, and the yogurt is lunch.
  • nyochum1
    nyochum1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Excess protein does turn to fat if you aren't using it all. People who lift weights need a lot more protein as well as the reason why men need more protein than women recommended daily. By adding the peanut butter I do get 12 grams of protein in there along with some healthy fats. I average around the max protein a day as I am a big meat eater typically so I don't want to over do it ont he protein. Protein is only suppose to be max 35% of your diet.
  • GamerMixZ
    Options
    Usually I add whey protein to my smoothies on the days I work out to help but I agree with kdiamond that the benefits of it are really good. If anything if your still ify about it only use it in your smoothie on the days you work out but yah it will help curve hunger throughout the day as astrampe said.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Protein is only suppose to be max 35% of your diet.

I don't agree but hey, your body you do what you want. :wink: I find that the more (lean) protein I consume the less I eat overall, because excess carbs make me hungrier. 12 grams of protein in peanut butter is 200 calories, so actually you're saving a lot of calories by using a powder instead. Just half a scoop would only be 65 calories and would give you the same amount of protein.
  • nyochum1
    Options
    I got that number from my nutritionist, so that is where the 35% came from. Of all of the protein shakes, why do you choose whey EAS over say soy?
  • nyochum1
    Options
    I got that number from my nutritionist, so that is where the 35% came from. Of all of the protein shakes, why do you choose whey EAS over say soy?
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    35%?? That is just a number he/she has pulled out of the air, if you don't want to lose muscle then you need to eat roughly 1g of protein per pound of LEAN muscle.

This makes that number pretty flexible

Protein and Fats should be quite high
  • nyochum1
    Options
    This is just a quick google search on protein for women. I am 150 lbs and at max it says I should eat 122 grams a day and I am almost sedentary because of my job which recommends only 50-60 grams a day.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Much-Protein-Should-I-Eat-165578
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Excess protein does turn to fat if you aren't using it all.

Not if you are still coming in under your calories.
  • nyochum1
    Options
    Excess protein does turn to fat if you aren't using it all.

Not if you are still coming in under your calories.

Yes, but I make sure I don't come in under my calories. I always eat my 1200+
  • DeanBurrows
    Options
    This is just a quick google search on protein for women. I am 150 lbs and at max it says I should eat 122 grams a day and I am almost sedentary because of my job which recommends only 50-60 grams a day.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Much-Protein-Should-I-Eat-165578

Yeah i'm getting 54g for you if you did nothing, like sat down all day.

But don't worry if you go over by a few grams everyday, it won't do you any harm as long as the number doesn't increase and you become less active.
  • DeanBurrows
    Options
    Also, i've just had a brief check of your diary and it seems that you do not drink that much water (although you may not of logged any).

Drinking more water will help you break through that Plataea, well it does for some people.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting into the whole protein debate because I just don’t have the time right now. So, onto the protein smoothies...

My smoothies consist of either:

½ cup frozen strawberries (it’s about 4 medium sized ones)
    ¼ cup frozen raspberries
    ¼ cup frozen blackberries
    1 cup 1% milk
    1 scoop protein powder optional (I have tried strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate and all taste good, but I think I liek the vanill in this recipe the best)

Without powder: 166 calories, 3g fat, 27 carbs, 9g protein, 5g fiber, 69% DV of Vitamin C, 33% DV of Calcium
    With powder: Different powders add different amounts of protein, calories, and carbs. Typically it’s around an extra 140-160 calories, 26-30g protein, and 6-10 carbs.

or:
    1 cup frozen mango, pineapple, peach, and strawberry pieces (bought a bag of these frozen mixed fruits)
    1 cup 1% milk or 1 can mango nectar (going to try apricot nectar, peach nectar, and strawberry banana nectar as well...OJ made it waaaay too sweet and acidic for my tastes)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Without powder: 230 calories....and don't have the math on the rest but you can figure it out.

Instead of drinking them as smoothies, I now eat them as sorbet:

Freeze for about 2 hours and then let soften (or soften using microwave). Mash it all up to have a creamy sorbet version =) 16-20oz of sorbet is waaaaaaay more filling than the same amount of ounces in liquid form. I usually can only eat half the bowl and then save the other half for later, while as with a smoothie I'm still hungry after consuming it =) I also can't even taste the protein powder when I eat them as sorbet, which is always a plus. I use Six Star Pro Nutrition (whey) and Body Fortress (whey).
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The sorbet is a great idea. Thank sundaywishes.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with EAS 100% Whey protein, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (low carb and no sugar), 1/2 cup of frozen fruit, and some ice. It is 180 calories, 12 carbs, 4 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein. It keeps me full for hours.

yumm! thanks for that!
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    yes adding protien powder will work very well
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Excess protein does turn to fat if you aren't using it all. People who lift weights need a lot more protein as well as the reason why men need more protein than women recommended daily. By adding the peanut butter I do get 12 grams of protein in there along with some healthy fats. I average around the max protein a day as I am a big meat eater typically so I don't want to over do it ont he protein. Protein is only suppose to be max 35% of your diet.

excess of energy consumed turns to fat... excess protein basically turns to glucose or carbohydrate if eaten in excess...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I am not into almond milk as it has more fat, more sugar, more carbs...

Unsweetened almond milk has zero sugar.