How do u make your fruits and veggies taste better

Options
I'm not the healthiest eater and didn't really grow up eating healthy so anyone have any tips to help me with new foods?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Sensa
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, most fruits taste pretty good on their own! Try a bunch of grapes, kept in the fridge so they're nice and cold. or a banana smooshed onto a slice of toast.

vegetables can have quite a strong taste when eaten on their own, and it can take a few times until your tastebuds adapt. Many of them are good with a cheese sauce (cauliflower and brocoli and leeks especially), or chop them small and add to a tomato pasta sauce (courgette, carrot, mushroom). Or slice them finely and add to a stirfry.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Fruit tastes good on it's own. I don't add anything to it, except for maybe other fruit.

As far as vegetables, I tend to prefer them raw with light ranch.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    They taste better when I eat them... I cut apples into slices and pack them in baggies so it takes longer to eat them. Banana slices on peanut butter toast is amazing. I try to hide some veggies in all my home cooked meals or just make a side dish that is easy to eat. It doesn't really have to taste good if you can eat it fast.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying them..it takes most people several times before they really like a food that is new to them. I hated Brussel sprouts growing up but give me a plate of them now roasted with garlic..yummy!

and I see drmerc still has nothing better to to than troll....:huh:
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    oh if you like smoothies...try adding a hand full of green leafy veggies to it..like kale or spinach, easy way to get the greens in if you are not a fan...the sweetness of the fruit sort of hides the greens.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What about stir frying some mixed veggies in an Asian style sauce (soy, chilli, lime, fish, oyster etc). Yum!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    when you're trying produce, especially veggies, try different versions- roasted, fresh, frozen, grilled, often the same food has a different taste or texture.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Most veggies benefit form a little fat--add a tad of butter, olive oil or parmesan cheese. Grate squash and/or carrots into pasta sauce. Make soup or stew with onion, celery, carrot, potatoes green beans, peas, etc. Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and green beans get a great flavor from roasting in the oven at about 400F for about 20 minutes. Or grill squash, eggplant, portobello mushrooms on on outdoor grill.