Post Surgery Diet Plan

Options
Hello all was hoping to get some help on this little issue I am having. I have arthritis in both my knees and in early 2012 I had surgery on my right knee to clean it up. It prevented me from working out for a near 3 months before I could do anything meaningful. I am partly to blame for the weight gain as I was 165 prior to surgery and went up quite a bit and now at the start of 2013 I am currently at 184. Now I will be heading into surgery on my left knee to do the same thing and my fear is a repeat of last time and if that happens that would destroy any progress I made when I started Zumba back in 2011. Went from 210 to 165 from mid-2011 up to early-2012.

So any tips on dieting and what workouts I can do with the use of my legs? I am getting one of those portion bowls for measuring and I figure my calorie intake will be lower during the downtime since I won't be doing aerobic classes 5-6 days a week burning 600-1000 calories.

Any advice will be great thanks all.

Replies

• MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing thats supposed to be with out your legs? You could do some little weight stuff with your arms sitting on a bench. Or my gym, (not sure how common this is) they have a cardio machine that you only use your arms on, it pedals like a bike but with your arms. Hope this helps
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I also had surgery on my knees. I would advise the following:

- be diligent with your nutrition! Not only your calories, but make wise food choices especially as you heal!!! This will help speed up the process and aid your body in healing
    - ensure you are taking your EFA's
    - as soon as you are able start upper body workouts
    - as soon as you are able start walking
    - get adequate rest each night
    - stay positive!

You'll do great! Use what time you have left before surgery to get as strong a you can. I hope you are already including strength training as part of your fitness routine
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am having a minor surgery end of month on my knee and will be out for 4-6 weeks... My problem also is I am having elbow issues which I believe is a tendinitis but will find out more when I go to doctor tomorrow. I was hoping to be able to do upper body work but not sure at this point. If you can get up and down off floor easily enough, you can do some crunches. I am hoping I can at least do easy walking, elliptical but not sure.... I do plan to keep my calories around 1400 per day.. Good luck to you!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Protein will aid in healing. So be sure to increase it to at least 80g/day. Follow what your doc says as far as exercise. You don't want to push too hard as you're other leg and body parts will be taking up for the healing leg.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    In that boat, have been for several months and having surgery next month. I've have had two meniscus repairs, but they were planned, this one was an unexpected accident and I will be having a patellar graft for ACL reconstruction. I had to wait for the surgery for several reasons, one of them to get my swelling down, and then to get some range of motion in beforehand. I learned to be creative with modified workouts, upper body lifting, some days using lighter weights and not resting to get the cardio up. Ialso popped in a few aerobic DvD's or found free workout videos on the internet and would just sit on the chair and only do upper body movements. Put on some groovy music and do some chair dancing with the arms. haha. Crutches are a great way to get the cardio up, after awhile, I insisted on not being dropped off in front of the store, even went out for 5 minute crutch walks (yeah I know, they hurt the armpits and ribs, I think I still have calluses!). I found a workout video called Leslie Sansone 5 day walking program at my local library and bless her overly chipper annoying voice heart, she has been my saving grace since I'm limited. It's mainly marching in place (at first I could barely do that, but it was movement) and walk up and side to side but no twisting motions. I also learned to be creative with ab work, in the beginning mainly having to do old fashioned straight leg sit ups, crunches and holding for 30 counts. Having to go through these last few months were challenging, and as I said, I will be starting over again next month after I have surgery. However this time around, I know I can maintain weight through healthy eating and know an action plan for working out. Cut the calories back a bit, figure out your TDEE to help with that and as someone else mention, what you eat is more important in helping your healing process go quicker, and as soon as you can, walk! Walk a lap around the house. Rest. Try it again in a bit. It all adds up. Feel free to friend me :)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what the surgery you're having is but my Dad had a full knee replacement a few years ago. The doctors had him use a recumbent stationary bike to work out his knee. No impact and it strengthens the muscles around the knee. Also, I'm sure you'll be in physical therapy so I'd ask your therapist what exercises are appropriate for your situation.