losing the lower stomach fat

Options
Hey guys,

I've currently reached my goal weight, and am very proud of my new body. However, I still have that annoying lower stomach fat (pooch, gut, paunch, whatever you want to call it). I wish it would just lay flat!

I exercise 5-6 days per week. I alternate between 30 minute treadmill runs and combined 15-20 minute treadmill runs and 20 minutes elliptical or bike, with crunches every day (100) and a plank thrown in there somewhere (I'm not a fan of going to the gym/working out, but I make an effort to go).

I eat 1200 calories per day and try my very best to stick to that and watch my fat intake (I am only human afterall ;). I recently calculated my BMR and it was 1390, but I really have no idea what that actually means. This calorie/BMI/BMR/weight loss thing confuses me.

So - I want this gut gone, and I want flat (lower) abs. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be doing more? My body has changed since I lost close to 20 pounds, and my lower stomach has become smaller, but I've still got some fat in that area. It's been about a year or so. Are there other exercises I should or could be doing? Different foods I should be eating/avoiding? Or do I just need to be patient?

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• roxybabyfit
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your weight goal. I have the similar problem area with my lower stomach. I have not yet started working out as a routine and do not know much about the BMI stuff and all that. But, what I know is that the lower stomach area is one of the hardest areas to work on and it takes a very long time to see results. Nonetheless, keep doing your routine and I am sure you will see results once you do the right things. Good luck!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns if you literally laid in bed all day and never moved. That should be your base for eating. Also, you should be eating clean, ie: non processed foods. Congrats on hitting goal weight. Now it's time to tone up, to get a tighter tummy you can't do crunches. Crunches will not do much, try jillian michael's 6 week 6 pack and get some weights. It's time to lift and start eating at maintance. Good luck
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Probably shouldn't be eating under your BMR - Base Metabolic Rate - this is how many calories you need just to live basically without any exercise.

Clean eating is all I can suggest. Adding friends who have acheived said goal
  • Mal76137
    Mal76137 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same thing.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Shoot for at least 1400 calories a day,

Try bringing weight lifting of some sort into your life.

Basically, you reached your goal weight, but lost enough muscle mass along the way to make it where you still have visible fat at a lower body weight.

To fix this, you need to either 1. Lose weight very slowly (1/2 pound a week), and/or start lifting to gain some muscle mass.

Now is the time to ignore the scale and begin focusing on sculpting your body the way you want it.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting and zumba
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Combine with more weight sets and strength training
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase your fat intake - the good fats like flax seed oil, udos, fish, almonds, natural peanut butter. If your diet has little fat - your body might hold onto the fat stores.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    So some reality..................there may be an area of your body which may NEVER change due to genetics, large weight loss, age, etc.
    I have several friends who have lost weight, but certain areas that seemed to have remained the same even with great weight loss. Areas like lower abs, hips, hamstrings, obliques, etc. don't seem to be "etched" out or "flatter" like the rest of the body.

So really you may have a couple of choices. You lower your body fat even lower and see if there's a response, or if you're at the point where you're at the body fat you want to be and still have these issues..............consider plastic surgery or you come to accept that your body is your body and accept that it may not change the problem areas.

I personally don't see anything wrong with lipo or plastic surgery once someone has done everything in their power to reach a goal and can't attain it without help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You looked good before but you look great now. Nice job.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you are at your goal weight stop focusing on the scale, eat more and lift heavy weights.

You need to focus on building muscle and losing more actual body fat for the best chance at getting a flat tummy.

Eat clean... cut out the sodium, cut out the processed foods and eat a lot of lean meats and fresh veggies and fruits.

You need to eat more... eat at maintaince and get to the gym and lift heavy weights (not those little 5lb dumbells that many people have sitting at home). Do not step on the scale as you will see some gains.

Eat more and lift heavy for a few weeks and than drop your calories down and lose the fat. Lay off the cardio for a bit as well until you do a cut cycle.

Be warned that not everyone can have a totally flat tummy though.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You need to start adding some new exercises to your routine, the tread mill and eliptical will not get rid of that pooch.

You can use any of the Jillian Michaels Ab routines (can be found on youtube if you don't want to buy the DVD) and it will give you great examples of how to work around the entire core area to tighten and get rid of the pooch. That low area on the stomach is one of the harder places to lose, especially on a woman, because we don't work those muscles very hard, very often.

Hope you figure something out.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Pick a lower goal weight
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From reading the forums I can say more heavy weight lifting "should" help... may never be perfect but weights are the way to go, and I agree crunches don't do much, especially not for lower abs. Good luck :smile:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of those who tell you to weight lift (heavy weights). I'm nowhere near my goal weight, but even just doing squats with weights and other weight lifting has made my lower tummy area flatter. Congrats on getting to your goal weight!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Another vote for doing some lifting - along with enough protein to help the muscle regrow.

It's easy to lose muscle at the same time as losing fat.

Note that working the specific muscles won't make you lose fat from there "you can't spot reduce".
    Infact, in the short term using those muscles will likely make that area LARGER - but in the long term you will be losing fat and it'll look better as you have some 'tone' underneath.
  • autopilot_on
    Options
    While I have not yet reached my weight goal I have this same question. Thanks to everyone who has responded, there is some good insight here. Hopefully I will not be losing muscle mass during my weight loss journey. I do strength training 3-5 times a week and cardio 5 times a week. My cardio is always at least double the time I spend in the weight room. My progress has been VERY slow, but there is progress. I started on MFP in September of 2012 and I'm only down 10 pounds, but I hope that's because I'm not losing muscle. Wow that was longer than I expected. But keep at it! Great job on reaching your goal and be sure to let us all know if you find something that works.
  • cosmic0074
    cosmic0074 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Strength training and eating more! I am currently back after falling off the bandwagon last year. I did mostly cardio and eating right at 1,200 but I was still flabby...then I upped my calories after hitting a plateau for a month- to 1,400 (of course every one is different) and did strength training and holy crap did that help!
  • BRhulsey
    Options
    Crunches will not get rid of the "baby pouch"/lower stomach. Try more planking, really engaging your core while doing so, and other core exercises. Many people have suggested weights, and that is a great way to start.

I would suggest possibly getting with a personal trainer for a few sessions, and have them work you through some basic exercises to help with that area. You can lose it! However, it will take education, dedication and commitment to make that part of your body cooperate with your goals. :)
  • dovesie
    dovesie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow guys - thanks so much! These suggestions and tips are incredibly helpful. Thank you! :)