How Many Calories to Consume in a Day?

Options
Hello,

I've had an account for years as you can see but I've never actually stuck with it. Well, here I am 20lbs heavier since I joined and I've decided that enough is enough. I've been at this for a week now, but even last week I was just adjusting to eating healthy again after a terrible Christmas break binge of unhealthy things.

I am 19, F, 5'5 and when I weighed myself right after New Years I was 144.4 lbs. I want to lose 20-25lbs by the time my school semester ends, which is mid-April. I just joined the school gym, where I go to do cardio for 30 min 3x/week. I'll do more as time goes on, but I know if I start too hard I won't stick with it.

Anyway, my question is this: MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories a day for a 500 calorie deficit. However, a TDEE calculator that incorporates my exercise says 2318 and I read that you're supposed to eat 20% less than that number, which would be 1854.

I don't have a large appetite; I never have eaten very many times throughout the day. My problem had become portion control; too big of portions when I do eat, from living on my own and finding it difficult to cook for one.

How many calories should I actually be aiming to consume to achieve my goal?

Replies

• kerriotto
    Options
    I heard the same calculation you did.
    It's not hard to eat that many calories if you eat every few hours. You can always portion out larger portions into smaller ones and eat them for meals the next day.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I started with similar stats (5'4'' and 143lbs). I ate a little over 1400 calories a day and most of my exercise calories back, MFP calculated this for a .5lb loss per week.
    A couple months in my weigh loss stalled, on non-exercise days 1400 seemed too low for me, I was hungry. So I looked into the TDEE-method.
    I upped my calories to TDEE minus 15% (20% is fine as well) and I don't eat back my exercise calories. Best choice I ever made since starting MFP!
    I can now eat over 1800 every day, exercise or not. I don't feel hungry anymore, meal planning is a lot easier and I'm losing again.

I suggest you start with the TDEE minus 20% and see how that suits you for some weeks. If you stop losing for a longer time you can always adjust your calorie goal.

P.S. Add me if you want to :)