Protein

Options
rpp223
rpp223 Posts: 746 Member
MFP has my suggested consumption of protein a lot lower then what I actually consume. Does anyone know if to much protein will have a negative result or slow progress? I do exercise regularly and lift weights.

Replies

• Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, from what I've read, you should consume 60% of your weight in protein...obviously using protein in grams, lol
    So I'm at 139lbs...times that by .6 and I should eat around 80 grams per day...MFP is a little low on mine too, but the more I workout, the more protein I will need to have do I'll eat around that number...
    Hope this helps....and good luck!!!
  • rpp223
    Options
    Thanks, that does help. The results so far that I am getting from from the food counter I have been going way over
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I normally land between 200- 250 grams a day,, and I feel great. Do you lift weights? If so try to eat a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass while losing weight. Mfp numbers are very low with protein, most people adjust them.
  • Nano1360
    Nano1360 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi! You do need to get at least equal to 75% of your weight in gram protein if you are doing weight lifting and want to build muscle mass ( 40% protein, 40% carbs,20% fat );If you are in the cutting phase you can reduce your carb and/or fat but you still need your protein. MFP can not calculate strength training which is why the protein consumption is low. Feel free to ask question or add me if need help!!! Best luck!
  • rpp223
    Options
    That sounds right. I do lift weights 4 to 5 times a week so I guess it is good I am going over on the protein
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    protien is by far the best macronutrient to overdue compared to fat and carbs, it is also the worst to underdo as well...good ol protien
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You can change the goals from MFP's default. Go to Home>Goals>Change goals>custom.

I personally have mine set to 40/30/30. I find the default far too low for protein.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    the default is far too low i agree, anyone looking for any kind of muscle should at least have 40p/40c/20f (the standard)