What to eat??

Options
My trainer has recently asked me to stop eating all carbs after 4. She already does not want me to eat any fruit at night because of the sugar content in it.
I work out at least two days in the morning and three days a week at night and find myself very hungry afterwards.
She doesnt want me eating dairy at all including yogurt and cheese so has asked to limit my consumption.
I mentioned protein bars but she was concerned about sugar content.
And i dont eat any kind of nut. (thats non negotiable)
Other than veggies to snack on im at a complete loss as to what i should be eating after my workouts. Slices of lunch meat seems high in sodium and unwanted nitrates and would get old quickly. I am not overly fond of hardboiled eggs.. but would eat them a couple of times if necessary a week.
Any suggestions? I am afraid i am just having a mental block on the subject. (this is my first week and am still adjusting to eating healthier!)
TIA!

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer.
    ^^^^^Nuff said.
  • vicarella13
    Options
    How about a protein shake after a workout? That way you get your protein after your workout (ideally) within 20 minutes after your workout.

or alternatively Humus and vegetable (like cucumber or peppers).

Did your trainer give you ideas of what she would suggest then?
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer.

i have to agree
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer.

This.
    Sounds like a rather ignorant trainer you have there.
  • hgaspard83
    hgaspard83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sounds very hard to stick to
  • laughinggypsy
    laughinggypsy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    beans-you can get really creative with them, they're great protein and the fiber fills you right up!
    you could make a grain-free tabouli (unless your trainer lets you eat quinoa, which makes a more nutritious tabouli than bulgar) with lentils, tomatoes, and parsly, top with lemon juice and greek yogurt, mmmmm.....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others, your trainer is uninformed. Find a new one.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    So she wants you to only eat vegetables and chicken? She is a trainer not a nutritionist. She can tell you how to work certain muscles but not what to eat. You don't have to listen to her.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    New trainer
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I tried a plan similar to this - and it worked great SHORT TERM - like losing weight for an event - - - but it isn't anything I would want to do long term or as my lifestyle.

That's being said - I would ask your trainer to provide you with a list of foods she thinks is "good/reasonable"

have your fruit in the a.m and early afternoon - that's what I do - lunch & breakfast.

I eat boiled eggs, lean meats, and lots of veggies.

Good Luck to you!!!!!!
  • italiangirlinva
    italiangirlinva Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree about the trainer sounding a little extreme............ However, here are some options other than veggies, dairy, nuts, fruit,and low in sugar (I hope!)

Baked tofu (home make)
    Kale chips (home make)
    plain, unsalted, unbuttered popcorn (but this has carbs)

Hell, I don't know. there's too many restrictions. If she is placing these many restrictions, ask her for a list of options.
  • roozielynne
    roozielynne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How about a protein shake after a workout? That way you get your protein after your workout (ideally) within 20 minutes after your workout.

or alternatively Humus and vegetable (like cucumber or peppers).

Did your trainer give you ideas of what she would suggest then?

I split my workout with the trainer with a friend of mine. I am pretty sure she would suggest nuts, but i come from an allergic family and simply cant stand them. (and honestly i refuse to eat something that i dont like the taste of!)

The hummus is a great idea! Had completely slipped my mind! Ty!
    I will also look into some protein shakes.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer.

This!!! and no carbs or sugar after 4??? WHAT!!??? No Ben and Jerry's before bed?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is wrong.

You should eat a balanced diet. There is nothing wrong with fruit or whole grains.
  • roozielynne
    Options
    beans-you can get really creative with them, they're great protein and the fiber fills you right up!
    you could make a grain-free tabouli (unless your trainer lets you eat quinoa, which makes a more nutritious tabouli than bulgar) with lentils, tomatoes, and parsly, top with lemon juice and greek yogurt, mmmmm.....

That sounds delicious thank you!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    "Bro" Science strikes again......next time your trainer starts telling you to cut things out of your diet, or to not eat foods after X time a day, ask for peer reviewed scientific papers published in a legitimate NON ONLINE journal to support their order.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That;s a bit much. I mean don;t eat dairy or whole grains if you're allergic, but otherwise, that's a bit harsh. Especially no fruit.

Three bean salad is good. So is lentil soup.

But I think your trainer is taking it a bit far.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't trust people who tell me I can't have fruit. Seriously, when has an APPLE been bad for someone? (Unless you were deathly allergic and would have to be shuttled to the ER because your throat closed up, but I can't imagine that's most people.)
  • roozielynne
    Options
    to be clear...my trainer has just asked me not to eat these things in the evenings to try and rev the weight loss. (I admit she is trying to rev the weight loss because i have been seeing her for two months and havent lost anything. but i also havent been counting calories or exercising often enough either.)
    I like my trainer and have no plans to get rid of her. She eats a very strict diet and i dont see myself following such extremes and being able to sustain that diet so i am searching for options that work for me.
    Thanks for all the advice, i am going to just continue what i have been doing this week and see how it goes at the next weigh in and just adjust from there. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this and what they did about it!)

Thanks again!