Protein boost for oatmeal?

Options
2»

Replies

• GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Re: PUMPKIN PIE OATMEAL

My mouth watered reading about it. Too bad it's above my daily allowable carbs, but I'll keep that one in mind for a special vacation day
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Okay, here are some cool 360 calorie pancakes. Well, it makes like 3 so they're 120 each

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 egg whites
    splash of skim or soy milk
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Cinnamon

Heat the oats with some water in a mixing bowl in the microwave for 90 seconds. Add some milk to cool it a little, or when you put in the whites and protein it will start to cook! Stir in the egg whites and protein powder and mix. Add baking powder and cinnamon.

Makes 1 1/2 cups of batter, so you get 3 good sized pancakes. The oats are 150 cal, the protein 140, the eggs 35, total is 360 with 40 grams of protein and 30 of carbs.

Add half a banana - or some blueberries. I also cut up some apple and microwave it in a mug for a minute to soften it and add that too sometimes...
  • trentonkid
    Options
    I have a 1/2 cup of steel cut oatmeal, 2tbsp of peanut butter and a mashed up banana. its about 460 calories.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I add 1 T of peanut butter and 1 t of unsweetened cocoa. It adds protein, keeps it around 300 calories and taste like a yummy melted peanut butter cup! :love:
  • AshleyNicolexo_
    Options
    could also try ground flax seed to make it stay with you.

I was gonna say this. It has protein, omega 3s and fiber. Or chia seed is an option too. :-)
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why no one is just making their oatmeal with skimmed milk? Protein? You got it. And oatmeal made with water tastes like wallpaper paste to me!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of omega seed mix in mine, it's 50 calories but 15 mg of protein. Either grind it or put it in before cooking. I've started using oat bran instead of oat meal too. I love my porridge in the morning!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    A bit of Greek yogurt, I like Fage, adds a nice tang and some extra protein!

^^^^ This is good and I make it with skimmed milk as well
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    3 -4 egg whites
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! I have chia seeds and ground flax in my cupboard and forgot that they have protein in them. Duh! I will definitely be trying the egg idea... found some great recipes online as well as the ones you guys posted.

Here are some of the things I do (not all at the same time)
    - milk
    - butter (not healthy friendly, but tasty)
    - nuts of any kind
    - peanut butter or almond butter - yummy!

Other things I add just for fun (again, not all at the same time) cinnamon sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, dried cherries, dried cranberries, diced apple.

I've tried the instant (yuck), oldfashioned (my staple) and steel cut (yummy, but a pain to make) oats.

Also cooked up some quinoa for dinner last night, and was thinking that might make a yummy breakfast too.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Very creative---bump for later
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    This morning I had oatmeal with 3 oz Greek yogurt and 1tbs ground flax. That with 1/2 of a grapefruit, coffee and creamer came out to around 300 cals and 20 grams of protein!
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Really!!! an egg?
    I must try this.