Supplement Question - Omega 3 and Flaxseed

Options
I already take (and have been for a while) Omega 3 Fish oil and I was thinking about adding Flaxseed Oil Supplements to my daily regimen... Is that unnecessary or is it a great idea?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iiFarmerii
    iiFarmerii Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the bump!

Bump
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, flaxseed is just another form of omega 3, but inferior to that of fish oil. I would think it is unnecessary if you are happy with your fish oil. (And on a personal note, my eyes swelled shut when I took a flax supplement. Strangely I can eat flax seeds without a problem. Must have been a filler in the capsule or just very high quantities bother me.)
  • iiFarmerii
    iiFarmerii Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, flaxseed is just another form of omega 3, but inferior to that of fish oil. I would think it is unnecessary if you are happy with your fish oil. (And on a personal note, my eyes swelled shut when I took a flax supplement. Strangely I can eat flax seeds without a problem. Must have been a filler in the capsule or just very high quantities bother me.)

Thank you... that is what I thought... Just wondering if I was inaccurate...
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you would need to add flaxseed if you are taking a fish oil suppliment.

I take flaxseed just because I'm vegetarian and would rather not take a fish oil suppliment to get my omega 3s.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is almost all ALA. It doesn't make much sense to use it has a supplement, because ALA is pretty easy to get in your diet.

The benefit of fish oil supplements is that they contain EPA and DHA, which isn't as easy to get, they're pretty much only available in fatty fish.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are one of the most delicious things on the planet. It would be a shame to take it in pill form. Buy flax seeds and add it to some oatmeal. Or buy flax bread. Even just buy flax seeds and eat them plain. They're soooo good. Even if they were bad for me I'd still be eating them.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    And fatty fish is one of those foods that just totally discredit the "animal proteins cause cancer" argument.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds are one of the most delicious things on the planet. It would be a shame to take it in pill form. Buy flax seeds and add it to some oatmeal. Or buy flax bread. Even just buy flax seeds and eat them plain. They're soooo good. Even if they were bad for me I'd still be eating them.

I agree! Why do a pill? I love seeds!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, good question. I've been adding milled flaxseeds to my protein shakes because I know it's a superfood, and I honestly thought there were a few other goodies in there besides just ALA/omega-3s. Doesn't it have quite a bit of fiber too?

I guess I never thought about the fish oil being more complete than the flaxseed but it makes since. I just always seemed cheaper and easier to just add milled flaxseed to almost anything when it's pretty easy to buy it in bulk.

That's just my $0.02.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

I agree! Why do a pill? I love seeds!

Birds unite

604.jpg