What was your motivation to start running?

Options
I am looking for advice from people who run now, but who were once people like me and said NEVER I WILL NEVER EVER BE A RUNNER.

I want to do the couch to 5k program because it's the first thing i've seen that made me think "Yeah, that's doable!" But I can't turn off the excuses:

"I can't run because it's winter in Wisconsin which means dangerous ice, and my neighborhood is too sketchy, and I can't join a gym because it's too expensive, and I can't use my treadmill because the downstairs neighbors will get annoyed and I can't find the key for it anyway, and I don't have time to run in the morning, and I'm too skittish to run after dark, and my ipod is broken..."

They are endless!

What's your story? How did you make the transition between Not a Runner and Runner?

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I love running now! I used to hate it. I got started with the couch to 5k. I highly recommend it! To quote Nike, just do it. Once you start you won't want to stop. Im now doing the couch to 10k.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i could barely walk i was so out of shape, so i decided it was time to do something about it...didn't need a gym or a bike, just go run...
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My motivation for running is that I play softball during the summer. I need to be able to run fast and a lot because I play center field and rover. And also base running. So I run to stay in shape for sports.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I always HATED running. I don't think I had ever run more than about a minute in my life. I started C25k almost a year ago at just under 270 pounds. I won't lie. It was hard, but I pushed through and did it. Since completing it last March, I run at least 5k 2-3 times per week. Sometimes longer, sometimes more often. I ran 10k on Saturday, and 5 miles on Sunday, just because I WANTED TO.

Shortly after I started running, my resting heart rate went from the 80s-90s to the 50s, and I went off of my blood pressure medication (some of that is, of course, attributed to the accompanying weight loss).

My current profile picture was taken about an hour ago after running 5k tonight in the cold, dark rain. I was actually under on my calories for the day, I just WANTED to run.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    We are neighbors, I'm in Waukesha. :smile:

I did not set out to run, I started walking at lunch just to get some exercise. I would then run a little and then a little more. I had been walking an hour a day to go about three miles. I soon realized I could do 3 miles in half the time and burn more calories and it just kinda went from there. I definitely prefer running outside to the treadmill (NEVER thought I would say that). I, like you, don't care so much for running on the icy roads and have been finding alternatives for now until the weather is at least 30+ (stairs have been my cardio of choice these days).
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was always the slowest runner on my soccer team, and I was always jealous of people who could run for longer distances 5-10 miles. I wanted to be a runner but never thought I could be. Then last December I read something that said (paraphrased) "As soon as you walk out the door and start running you are a runner. Even if you can only run 50 yards at one time, you will run a little farther and faster every day and you can be proud to call yourself a runner"

I'm recovering from surgery and yesterday I jogged my first mile since it. It was an 11:30, and I had to walk at around 3/4 mile for a minute, but then I finished strong. Today I was back and took it easy: walk one, jog one, walk one, jog one. (Laps at the gym) I am trying not to overuse my muscles after 3 weeks off.

Do you like music? Choose upbeat music with about 140 bpm- this is a great heart beating pace. I don't listen to music except what is on at the gym. I like to use my runs to think through things in my life, good and bad. It distracts me from the burning in my thighs.

Can you find a running buddy in your area? That would make it safer to jog when the streets are plowed. I always have my dog and phone if I run outside. It can also help keep you motivated. Remember to set your own pace, but push yourself a little. The phrase "no pain, no gain" is true. A lot of running injuries happen the third week into a new program, so do light workouts and let your joints and muscles recuperate a little. And if you hate it and it isn't fun, find yourself something better for you!
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I used to drink and had to stop, -- completely. (ok, i got a DUI, got thrown in jail for a weekend, and had to go to rehab. to keep my license) Needless to say, I was a bit of a screw up. I wanted to prove to myself I could actually accomplish something good for myself . So I started running. It was a complete turnaround for me. A few years later I ran my first marathon at age 49 and now run one marathon a year and a few half marathons each month. I actually get up at 4 am to get miles in at the local high school track in the dark. . Its a great way to start the day.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Zombies!

No really a Zombie 5K, although I am not a runner yet just started C25K.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Last February my friends I was losing weight with wanted us to all sign up for the warrior dash in September. I figured it's only 3 miles and I could walk it and I had 8 months to get ready and get weight off.

Around April I decided maybe I try to ramp up to run 3 miles. I picked the treadmill in the back corner so I wouldn't embarrass myself and I could barely manage a half mile. By the Beginning of May I could run a mile with just a little bit of slowing down to a fast walk and then my buddy wants us to all run a 10K on the 3rd of July! Holy holy, 10k that's way to far..

But. The 10k ends by running out through the giant patriots helmet and across the 50 yard line in Gillette stadium. My buddy says we can walk/run if we have to, so I sign up.

I increase my running I can't really do 10k but I'm running. I had a blast and on that day I went from running because it burns a lot of calories and I need to be ready for the warrior dash to RUNNING IS FUN!!! I ran the 10k in 79 minutes which isn't breaking any records but I did it.

I ran a 5k in August.
    In September we did the warrior dash and a 5k the next day where we all got to wear Kilts and there was an Irish festival after.
    I found the Rail Trail where I did a lot of my running until it got all snowy and cold, cant wait for spring.

I've run 7 races since september and I have 15 already scheduled/planned for this year and I'm in two different running series. I am totally hooked.

Plus I get the most bang for time vs. calories burned buck by running.

I plan on a half marathon this fall.
  • erika0430
    Options
    I used to love running! I all trough Jr. High and High School and I'm my heart still want to! But I am afraid my body won't let me I'm over 200 and over 30 and Ihave arthritis. I am worried about my back and knees Any advice for getting back into it without injuring myself? Now I swim but i miss running
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used to love running! I all trough Jr. High and High School and I'm my heart still want to! But I am afraid my body won't let me I'm over 200 and over 30 and Ihave arthritis. I am worried about my back and knees Any advice for getting back into it without injuring myself?

Go slow and listen to your body. If you don't already, ease into it by walking quckly a few weeks to make sure you can handle it. Talk to your doctor for any recommendations, and see if you need light braces to help stablilize and keep swelling at a minimum. If you have pain, cut back on what you are doing. Avoid walking and running on concrete.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hate running.

I really hate running.

Have I mentioned that I hated running?

I enjoyed my outdoor run tonight...

But seriously... I hate running.

Like you, I'm a beginner. I just started my C25K program this week. Last week I started doing 20 min on the treadmill with a run/walk thing and so far so good. Had to run outside tonight because I was late getting to the gym... but I digress. I used to find every excuse in the book - and some were really good like "I have an exam to study for" or "homework" but I'd screw around for an hour before actually getting down to work. Bottom line is you gotta do it because you want to do it. Not because you have to. Once you "have" to do something it becomes a chore - like taking out the garbage or doing laundry.

Maybe you're not a runner. Maybe you're a swimmer, or a cyclist, or a kick boxer.

33157254.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 5K. I'm training with a friend. We run together 3 nights a week. Having someone to run with has helped us stay committed.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Zombies!

No really a Zombie 5K, although I am not a runner yet just started C25K.

Rule #1 Cardio.
  • MPilotz
    MPilotz Posts: 10
    Options
    like a lot of them said, I was never a runner either. but my body got used to the running within a week or two. you have to STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND DO IT! thats the key to success
  • careyannal
    Options
    I was always one of those people that thought runners were crazy. Nothing about it seemed appealing to me. Well, I started 6 months ago, barely running more than a minute at a time as a way to lose weight. Ended up gradually increasing my mileage and running my first half marathon in November. Now I'm currently training for my 2nd in March.

I'm not going to lie and say that I love it, but the feeling and sense of accomplishment when I'm done is enough to cancel out the cold weather and temporary discomfort of the actual run. Also I've noticed I am in a much better head space on days that I run than on my rest days.
  • Jonesyuno
    Options
    I was always of the opinion that is I was going to run, I wanted to accomplish something. For instance, I love basketball. That gave my running a purpose. Floor hockey in college. that was with a purpose. But just running was, to me, duller than dirt.

But, once you get going, after a few days of consistant running and running longer or faster, I got more of a taste for it. Now, my motivation is the 5-miler my wife and I will be doing July 4th.

Keep it up!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner and I will never be 'good' or 'fast'. When I started working out, it was walking on the treadmill. As I became more fit, it became harder and harder to get a good calorie burn from my walking. First I increased the speed and then the time. Then the incline. Still not enough (too much incline bothers my knees a lot). Then I added arm workouts while walking (punches, curls, and lateral raises). I was getting a decent burn, but it was taking up a LOT of time. At least an hour at each workout. So I decided to start C25K to get a better calorie burn.

So there you go. FOOD was my motivation LOL. I run so I can eat. People think I *LOVE* running. I don't. But I don't hate it either, and for me, that's almost the same as love LOL.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I used to walk A LOT. But when I noticed it wasn't really a strenuous exercise for me anymore, I figured I had to ramp it up. I've NEVER been a runner. But I always saw people out running and wished I could. So I thought I'd give it a try! Modified C25K later....I like to call myself a runner. Done a few 5Ks and looking to more, along with a 10K and a couple 5 milers this year!
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Like you I used to find every excuse going and then I found a new running club where I progressed and made lots of friends now I love it and hate missing a run plus I also have a great new social network who are all lovely.