Insanity AND the gym?

Options
I've never tried the Insanity workout. A friend from work mentioned it is exhausting so I asked him if I could borrow his DVDs and see how it goes.

Along with that, I said to him that I'll go to the gym and lift weights. Not to body build or anything but to build muscle and help stay in shape. He said that isn't a good idea because Insanity would wipe me out for the day.

Is that true? Will it really be that tiring? Should I stick with one or the other (Insanity or the gym)? I've also thought of Insanity in the morning then P90X at night. Too much?

Thanks!

Replies

• lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you starting from a habit of working out regularly or are you starting from scratch? My boyfriend just did one day of the Insanity workout after not working out AT ALL and he's been too sore to walk normally for three days now.
  • jaurora2
    jaurora2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Insanity honestly isn't AS bad as people make it seem. My roommate and I were doing it for 2 months, and after the first week of it kicking your *kitten* it gets a lot easier. I'm actually starting it back up this week.

I'm not sure if doing it the same day as another work out would be the best plan. I'm going to start switching up my workouts for the week by doing insanity, muai thai, weight training, and running on different days.
  • Dibone0212
    Options
    Insanity honestly isn't AS bad as people make it seem. My roommate and I were doing it for 2 months, and after the first week of it kicking your *kitten* it gets a lot easier. I'm actually starting it back up this week.

I'm not sure if doing it the same day as another work out would be the best plan. I'm going to start switching up my workouts for the week by doing insanity, muai thai, weight training, and running on different days.

Oh ok that's a good idea (about switching it up). Thanks for the feedback. I imagine it will be difficult at first but we'll see.

And it will essentially be me starting from scratch again for exercising.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Um....Insanity *is* "that bad." If you're able to go to the gym -- especially in month 2 -- and workout worth a damn, you didn't push yourself hard enough. It's SIX days a week. By day 5 or 6 of those workouts in a row, I'm gassed and this is my second time do do Insanity. If you're lifting worth a damn at the gym, Insanity is in no way giving your muscles the recovery they need to actually make gains from lifting.

Insanity is just like hopping on the elliptical for an hour. If you're doing it right, your muscles are screaming at all the body weight moves -- squats (squats, squats, squats) in all different versions, push ups, etc.
  • Nicolao2762
    Nicolao2762 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've just finished Insanity and I would have to agree with jnh17. I would definitely not have been able to go to the gym in the evening having done an Insanity workout in the morning but saying that, the deluxe version of Insanity has an optional strength training workout which you can add in. Apparently the idea is you do it three times a week. Although I had the deluxe version, one workout a day was more than enough for me and I would only consider weights if I was going to do a second round and alternate insanity with a weights workout on different days.
  • jaurora2
    jaurora2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Um....Insanity *is* "that bad." If you're able to go to the gym -- especially in month 2 -- and workout worth a damn, you didn't push yourself hard enough. It's SIX days a week. By day 5 or 6 of those workouts in a row, I'm gassed and this is my second time do do Insanity. If you're lifting worth a damn at the gym, Insanity is in no way giving your muscles the recovery they need to actually make gains from lifting.

Insanity is just like hopping on the elliptical for an hour. If you're doing it right, your muscles are screaming at all the body weight moves -- squats (squats, squats, squats) in all different versions, push ups, etc.

What I meant by it isn't that bad, is that it is doable. I've heard people think it is too hard to do, so they don't bother trying. I am way out of shape and I still drag my butt through the full workout everyday. I take breaks when I need it and modify workouts I can't do yet, but I still do it. I did say in my next paragraph that I doubt anyone would really want to do insanity, then go to the gym.