How can eating more help me lose weight

Options
Can someone help

In 2010 i lost just over two stone in 10weeks by eating very little. I ate ½ can of lentil soup for lunch and for tea i had a pot of ambrosia rice pudding and pineapple rings.

Im not using MFP and it says I have to have minimum of 1200 calories. Which is WAY more than i ate before. I don’t drink / smoke. Don’t drink teas/ coffee just water and the occasional Coke Zero. Can someone explain to me how eating more can help you lose? I have started swimming again leisurely at the moment until my fitness comes up. In the 45 mins in the pool i probably do about 14 lengths (25m pool) slow speed

. I want to lose weight again but i don’t want to starve myself as everyone keeps telling me how bad it really is. Can someone help? Will eating 1200 calories actually help me lose weight?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes and even better is you can eat way more than 1200 like a lot of people do on here and still lose. You are damaging your future health eating so little.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks Mock....

As i said i want to try do it healthy but i just dont understand why eating more can make you lose

Obviously its doesnt mean more junk food lol but its still more caloreis
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I just wrote a lengthy explanation for someone else about how more calories work for your body to lose weight. I think it might help answer your question.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/854580-too-few-cals-what-to-do
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    First off, exercise alone does not make you lose fat, eating right does (at a deficit). Secondly, you need to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), to get a better idea of how much you should be eating to lose fat steadily. Also you need to adjust your macros according to your dietary needs. The protein and fat are set quite low on here I think, so you can change those in the settings to whatever you choose (food diary section) There are many BMR and TDEE calculators on the internet, just google the two terms. You should ideally be eating above your BMR by at least 100 cals and below your TDEE by 20 % to 500 cals in order to lose fat.

At the moment you seem to be clutching at straws. What I mean is you are asking questions all over the place, instead of getting one thing at a time sorted out. Food first, then exercise, then adjusting macros and ratios (what proportions of protein, fat and carbs) after seeing how you do for a few weeks. Losing fat takes time, just as gaining it does. You need to start at the beginning and go from there.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eating more is not to lose weight. It's to supply you're body with abundant nutrients so it can repair and function at optimal efficiency while you are maintaining a calorie deficit and drop weight.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Of course eating 1200 cals will cause you to lose weight. Most grown women need about 2,000 cals a day just to maintain a normal healthy weight. I eat around 2,000 cals a day and I've lost a lot of weight but that's because I also exercise.

You can choose to eat very little if you like but you don't have to. Starving yourself is unnecessary for weight loss.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    In 2010 i lost just over two stone in 10weeks by eating very little. I ate ½ can of lentil soup for lunch and for tea i had a pot of ambrosia rice pudding and pineapple rings.

You won't loose 2st (28lb) in 10 weeks by eating 1200 calories however that doesn't mean that the diet you used last time was good or that loosing weight that rapidly is good for you. The nutrition levels in the diet you describe don't sound good to me and the diet is so extreme that you won't be able to maintain the weight loss that you managed.

If you work good food into your diet and hit 1200 calories a day you'll loose weight at a slower weight but build a body that will be healthy rather than just thin.