Healthy portion size of veg soup?

Options
I've just made soup vegetable soup, and have made a bit too much which will last a few days. Do you know around about the good portion size would be of thick soup?

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Whatever satisfies you
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I usually go with 1 cup/8 oz when I make it myself.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Is there cream or fat in it?
  • runningwoodpecker
    Options
    I usually go for a cup or 250 ml, I usually make my soup chunky so it feels more satisfying :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The vegetable soup I make is usually around 50 cal. a bowl so portion control is optional...however, I can usually only eat about 2 cups before I'm stuffed.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Is this a real question? Portion size is completly subjective to the person based on so many factors only the person eating it could possibly have an answer.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Just had this quandary.

Do i have 600ml of soup? Is it too much?
    So instead, i've opted for 300ml of soup and a bacon sandwich (1 slice of bread and 3 rashers of bacon, booya!)
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Did you track what went into the soup in.the first place?
    I make a lot of soup with veg leftovers and cheap stuff from the market, but as I make it I weigh and note everything that goes in.
    I then work out the total calories for the pot.
    When I batch it up (usually 2 ladles per serving - cup and a half US measures) I divide the pot total by number of servings.

There is a surprising difference as all veg are not created equal! My last 3 soups - all vegetable - have ranged from under 100 cal per portion to 215 per portion.

Lightest was mainly celeriac, spinach, rocket and veg stock. Heaviest included potato and cauliflower in chicken stock.

Use the "my recipes" feature on here it really helps!
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I made my soup into a recipie and calculated it for 5 portions(the amount I need for work lunches) I add lentils and root veg to mines so it is usually really thick. An average can of soup is 400g so once my soup is made I usually just weigh the portions 400g also.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just had this quandary.

Do i have 600ml of soup? Is it too much?
    So instead, i've opted for 300ml of soup and a bacon sandwich (1 slice of bread and 3 rashers of bacon, booya!)

good answer!!
  • cwomack09
    cwomack09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My issue is determining a serving size of soup when I enter the recipe into Myfitness. The recipe may say serves 6-8 but then how much do I eat if I want to eat one serving without having to measure the whole pot first To see how many oz it is?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    cwomack09 wrote: »
    My issue is determining a serving size of soup when I enter the recipe into Myfitness. The recipe may say serves 6-8 but then how much do I eat if I want to eat one serving without having to measure the whole pot first To see how many oz it is?

Recipe builder solves this problem.

Enter all weighed ingredients via recipe builder. Weigh total of finished soup in pot.

I weigh empty pot beforehand ( only did this once and then wrote it on bottom of pot in permanant texta for future reference) then deduct pot weight from total (ie pot and soup) and there is your soup weight.
    I divide that by 100 to get serving amounts - eg soup total is, say, 2000 g - then that makes 20 serves of 100g.

Each time I have some soup I weigh that portion - a large soup mug usually around 450g so that would be entered as 4.5 serves.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    As others have said, just track what goes into the soup and divide into portions based on an appropriate number of calories.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    The freezer is leftover soups best friend!