Help me eat!

Options

Replies

• ShimmyMeli
    Options
    Nuts are great, they have healthy fats and you can add to salads, or put some trail mix in your purse snack on some throughout the day (almonds, dried fruit and dark chocolate chips) are a good mix. If you drink coffee-add regular milk and sugar (instead of fat-free and sweeteners). Add a few healthy snacks in between meals, such as cheese slices and an apple, or almond butter on celery sticks. Good Luck to you! :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Some good foods on the list but I do notice a few things
    - I don't see dairy or a fortified substitute, you need three servings a day
    - Canned fish is great, make sure some is oily (pink salmon, pilchards/ sardines, mackerel) for the vitamin D and omega-3s. Calcium from dairy and long chain omega-3s are linked in research to lower body fat as well as many other health benefits for you and your little one
    - much of the produce is pale coloured, try to eat seven to nine servings a day in the full rainbow of bright and dark colours. Mixed frozen fruit is better priced than fresh if you are on a budget, I like Tesco Country Store. I also eat a lot of bell peppers, frozen green vegetables, canned tomatoes, aubergines
    - you might consider red onions instead of white, sweet potato instead of white potato, spinach or dark lettuce instead of iceberg. You will get more vitamin C this way which helps with absorption of iron, plus other nutrients
    - red meat is not always the best nor only source of haem iron, all kinds of organ meats like chicken liver are great sources: dark turkey meat is better than chicken breast. Useful amounts in canned sardines, more than tuna
    - consider sweetening your porridge with dried fruits instead of golden syrup
    - get some mineral rich healthy fats like nuts, seeds, cocoa powder within snacks
    - baked beans are good for you not a guilty pleasure!
  • kwseneca
    Options
    hello i had belemia when i was 15 also and was a horrible time in my life.

remember seasonings for meat so things are not boring and snacking stuff like dried fruit and nuts

peanut butter is really bad tho hun

Peanut butter isn't bad at all. Yes, you have to watch your portions, but it is a great protein source and treat for toast, smoothies, or whole wheat crackers.
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Cuties (small citrus fruit you can buy for a cheap price)
    BANANAS are a super food and essential
    Frozen strawberries
    lowfat plain greek yogurt
    Stevia sweetener
    green tea bags (come in many flavors!)

Make smoothies! The base of any smoothie is Ice, banana, greek yogurt, and skim milk. Add frozen fruits of your liking in. Peanut butter. Nuts. Or even cooked oatmeal is GREAT in smoothies. It is a lot easier to digest than just plain foods! Smoothies are my favorite. Get a cheap blender and try it :)
  • Lizard5648
    Options
    Dry beans...black beans, pinto beans, or red beans. High in fiber and very filling. Eat one cup for a meal....and if you are me you might just throw in a little corn bread...I'm southern, I just can't help it yall...

Beans will really help to stabilize your blood sugar and cravings :-)
  • youngmommab
    Options
    If you have a restricting ED mind no one on the internet will make you eat 1200 calories unless YOU WANT TO DO IT...

This.
    Don't complain when someone criticises you. don't moan about not eating enough. Order a ****ing takeway once in a while if you want to up calories. Grazing too. I don't even know you but how you worded your op, I cant tell what type of person you are and will not accept anyone's advice just get defensive so what are you really doing here?

Sorry to be harsh but sometimes its needed.

Edit - also you say on your profile you need to loose weight not gain it. So why post about needing help to eat and up your calories? Isn't tnat why you're on this website? Because you ate too much?

I don't have a problem with constructive criticism - if she'd told me I need to eat more calories and offered advice then crack on. But just leaving a comment telling me something I'd already stated? Not really advice!

No your harsh commented isn't needed in the slightest. It offers no advice. No I didn't eat too much, I had a baby. I was force fed for most of my pregnancy because of not eating enough. When you don't eat enough your body clings to what it does have which makes you fat - I need to up my calorie intake to 1,200 - 1,400 to be able to effectively lose weight. I'm not gaining weight, I'm not eating too much. I'm stuck at the same weight and struggling. Excuse me for thinking this forum was here to help. I wasn't aware me asking for help meant I deserved slating!

A few points you mentioned - I have no problem accepting advice. I don't get defensive. If you looked at my comment I accepted other peoples advice. I didn't come on here with an "I can't be bothered" attitude.

I'm not made of money so I can't order a takeaway, even once in a while, when that money needs to go on clothing my son who is growing like a weed.

You're right, you don't know me. And instead of being helpful, supportive or trying to get to know the situation you've told me I'm too defensive and then called me a pig and accused me of over eating... Maybe you should look up the fact that under eating can make you fatter than over eating.
  • youngmommab
    Options
    Low fat butter? :noway: If you're trying to up your calories, don't eat 'low-fat' versions of yogurt, milk or cheese. The rest of your shopping list looks pretty good to me. If you're open to it, protein powder for shakes is a great way to get in more calories without stuffing your stomach up.

Kale for your anemia, it has lots of iron and it's easy to sneak into smoothies and salads.

My bad, didn't mean low fat butter - I meant the low cholestrol one lol.
    Thanks I'll look into getting kale and protein powder :)
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem of WANTING to eat healthy, but not understanding HOW to make balanced meals. So my Mom told me to go to the grocery store and grab any of the magazines at the stands with a week's menu of healthy eating. Every mag has some form or another. Such as the week she told me to do this I ran to the store and the first magazine I saw was, "Women's First" featuring Dr. Oz's 21 week cleansing diet (I think). So it gave sample menus/meals. I walked through the store and bought the items on the meal plans and just copied the plans he made for me. I lost 5 lbs that week and it was fun. I am NOT creative when it comes to meals. So the next week, I did the same thing, new magazine, new diet/ menu plan and there you go. I now visit Tosca Reno's "kitchen table" website where everyone posts menus and recipes. It's free and all of it is clean eating. You can google (Tosca Reno + kitchen table) or Tosca Reno + recipes. There are millions of them to chose from. All of our favorites but with the healthy version. It takes the guess work out. You won't know what to make with list you have if you don't make a game plan.
  • youngmommab
    Options
    I used to have this problem of WANTING to eat healthy, but not understanding HOW to make balanced meals. So my Mom told me to go to the grocery store and grab any of the magazines at the stands with a week's menu of healthy eating. Every mag has some form or another. Such as the week she told me to do this I ran to the store and the first magazine I saw was, "Women's First" featuring Dr. Oz's 21 week cleansing diet (I think). So it gave sample menus/meals. I walked through the store and bought the items on the meal plans and just copied the plans he made for me. I lost 5 lbs that week and it was fun. I am NOT creative when it comes to meals. So the next week, I did the same thing, new magazine, new diet/ menu plan and there you go. I now visit Tosca Reno's "kitchen table" website where everyone posts menus and recipes. It's free and all of it is clean eating. You can google (Tosca Reno + kitchen table) or Tosca Reno + recipes. There are millions of them to chose from. All of our favorites but with the healthy version. It takes the guess work out. You won't know what to make with list you have if you don't make a game plan.

I'll check that out :) it sounds like just what I need. I'm pretty creative until it comes to writing a shopping list and then I just go blank! I used to have this really cool app on my phone that you "liked" recipes and it would build it all into a shopping list and pop the menus on your like list. So as I walked around the supermarket I could just check the items off, and it arranged it into the aisles and kept items together e.g. 200g of cheese on one recipe, 100g on another and 50g on a 3rd weren't listed seperately like other apps I've looked at. It would list it as 350g of cheese so that I didn't have to do any maths at the time x
  • KelzLyn86
    Options
    for breakfast they say you can take a cup of oats and add a tablespoon of peanutbutter and some cinnamon and it makes a good healthy filling breakfast.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low fat butter? :noway: If you're trying to up your calories, don't eat 'low-fat' versions of yogurt, milk or cheese. The rest of your shopping list looks pretty good to me. If you're open to it, protein powder for shakes is a great way to get in more calories without stuffing your stomach up.

Kale for your anemia, it has lots of iron and it's easy to sneak into smoothies and salads.

Hehe. I was baffled at seeing low fat butter at the store. I picked it up to see the ingredients. Just butter and salt. Then how is it low fat? Oh, they just dilute it Lol. I bet they love selling less of the exact same product for the same price.

As to the op, I have the same problem. I have had 450 calories today and no desire or appetite to eat more. I am trying to lose though so I don't guess it's all bad. I do need to get at least 900 tho. Choke it down!!!!!!!!!
  • fruitietootie
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER, I struggle to eat more than 1200 without nuts and nut butters getting involved. Get the all natual butters and they are super nutritious and pack in a ton of calories x
  • sezhep
    sezhep Posts: 57
    Options
    If you have a restricting ED mind no one on the internet will make you eat 1200 calories unless YOU WANT TO DO IT...

This is true I'm afraid.
    I was in exactly the same boat as you. Even though I knew what I was doing was wrong and told people I was trying to eat more, really I had no intention of doing that until something just clicked in my brain and I stopped caring what I ate and eventually my cals were up.

That was some years ago now... and now I can't seem to get them down again haha. But I am a lot happier in myself so it's definitely not a regret!

Surround yourself with people. Eat what they eat. Try and up your portion sizes rather than eat things with more calories (except for opt for full fat everything to help at first), or eat MORE smaller meals a day. Have a milkshake before bed.

All in all.. stop thinking about calories all together! Don't think about how many calories something has in it, whether you're thinking "Is it enough?" or "Is it too many?" JUST EAT WHAT YOU FANCY. Your subconscious calorie restricting mind will prevent you from binging.

Good luck. Just think of your son, I'm not a parent, but I want to set the best example and be the best role model for my baby niece, she's my motivation sometimes.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating some of the things mentioned earlier, with the idea that if lots of people like those things, maybe you will too!

Oatmeal
    Yogurt
    Eggs
    Nut Butters (look at others besides peanut: almond is great!)
    Sweet potatoes
    Beans
    Polenta: I don't do much this one much because my husband doesn't like it, but I love it! If you really want to add calories, make it in the pot, bake it, cool it, slice it, and fry it in a little olive oil. You can top with a tomato sauce or whatever else you like.
    Seafood: shrimp, crab, salmon...good fats

Good luck. Remember, haters gonna hate. When people are hungry, they get grouchy. If you are starving, it isn't fun to have someone ask for more calories. Their problem, not yours. You are smart to reach out and look for new ideas!
  • kendrawentzell
    Options
    I love: Freeze a banana. Then put it in a food processor with a tablespoon of Peaunut butter until creamy or half a package of sugar free pudding mix. Yum, choco banana!!! Yes lots of carb but delicious and healty. As for help eating....well, who needs help to eat? Those with a problem. It's OK to ask for help, every little bit helps. Fatties tho, don' t need help eating. Sometimes asking this question is a really a question for help, and I hope you can get some.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    looks like a great list.. just nix the mayo and get some avocado or hummus instead
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread and some kind of pasta, for the added protein.

P.S. Eat otameal :smile: There are SO many different brands and flavours out there. And it can be used with so many different things such as yogurt, milk and all kinds of mueslis. I like using it in my breakfast with milk, a dash of cinnamon and half a banana sliced in with a few nuts and a tablespoon of honey over it. And today I added a bonus of a teaspoon of cocoa powder. Fills you up completly!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had the problem of being too low on my cals also, I always felt very full and never reached 1000 cals (normally between 600 - 900 and day) ... I was told about cal dense foods like seeds, nuts, avacado also someone recommended a big glass of full fat milk, which I really liked the idea of as its easy to drink something even if your not really hungry

best of luck :D btw your shopping list sounds like mine except for the low fat stuff .. I buy full fat everything :)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from an eating disorder and it's made my appetite small and metabolism slow.
    I try to eat healthy but I can't think of what to eat and now this app keeps telling me off for not eating enough calories. I eat under 1,000 calories a day at the moment and I can't help it.

I'm due to go grocery shopping tomorrow and can't think what else to put on my list, so far I have :-
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Mayonnaise
    Porridge
    Eggs
    Frozen Vegetables
    Steak (This has to be part of my diet because of my anemia)
    Chicken
    Rice (Brown/Wholegrain)
    Pork Chops
    Sugar (I don't use it often, mostly I have it in for when people are visiting and want sugar in their tea/coffee)
    Celery
    Tinned Fish (I love mixing this in with rice or salad)
    Squash (can't stomach plain water but I'm trying to stay away from pure juices and fizzy drinks)
    Peanut Butter
    Jam (Low Sugar/Sugar Free)
    Butter (Low Fat)
    Bread
    Grapes/Blueberries/Strawberries (whatever of those fruits is on offer or in season at the time)
    Mushrooms
    Baked Beans! (My guilty pleasure!)
    Spring Onions

What else should be on the list? And what of those things shouldn't be on the list? x

I've suffered with anorexia for almost fifteen years and have done alot of damage to my body because of it. Are you receiving help? If not, I would strongly consider getting help as they can offer you counselling, and help you set up a meal plan. If you need any advice, etc, feel free to message me:) it doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop xxx
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    hello i had belemia when i was 15 also and was a horrible time in my life.

remember seasonings for meat so things are not boring and snacking stuff like dried fruit and nuts

peanut butter is really bad tho hun

Peanut butter is not "really bad." Please eat and enjoy your peanut butter.