Headlamp recomendation

I am looking for a headlamp or something to use when I am running in the dark.

Does anyone have one that is light weight and stays put?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    There are tons of headlamps out there. Typically the ones with just LEDs will be the lightest. If it has a larger bulb or has a large battery pack up front it may bounce around a bit if you are jogging with it. Princeton, Petzl, Black Diamond and others all make good head lamps. Sites to check out: Sierratradingpost.com, campmor.com, rei-outlet.com, rei.com. One that jumped out at me that might fit your needs nicely was the Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp on rei-outlet.com but it might be a little pricey. Most of these sites have buyer feedback so you can usually get a sense if there have been specific issues with a particular product. Happy shopping!
  • I love my Black Diamond Spot Storm. It is very bright, has a dimming function and a strobe function. I use it for hiking, camping, and climbing.

I don't run but I think that what I carry as a back-up may be better for all that bouncing ...The Princeton Tech Fuel. Its very light and super bright for its size.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I have a Petzel. It stays put, doesn't bounce and is plenty bright enough for the darkest of nights.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    I have a petzl as well. It is nice and bright and I've only run with it once or twice and it worked just fine. Whatever brand you buy, I would recommend one with a light that moves up/down rather than a fixed one (that way you'll be able to point it where you need it).
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    I'm cheap, so I bought the cheapo one at WalMart...But I don't use it like that...I don't like anything other than a headband/ballcap on my head and that thing puts extra weight in one spot (not alot, Iknow, but it annoys me) anyway, I use a runners belt to hold my phone and keys - so I took the lamp of the headstrap and hook it to my waist and point it in front of me. I'm worried about the ground and tripping. this worked great for me last year when I couldn't get out before dark.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Smartphone? There's an app for that.

Really, there is. It's a strobe light. I tuck it in an armband when I'm walking at dusk and it's a red strobe light.
  • Been using Princeton-tec LED for years. The lighter weight models aren't as bright as the larger models. Also have a Petzl which is just as good. The better kin d sold at mountaineering places like REI are usually very water resistant and tough.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Smartphone? There's an app for that.

Really, there is. It's a strobe light. I tuck it in an armband when I'm walking at dusk and it's a red strobe light.

It's to see, not be seen, though that is a good idea too.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    While not a headlamp, I bought a pair of "knuckle lights", which I'm happy with. ( http://knucklelights.com/ )
  • I have a Black Diamond Revolt and a Princeton Tech Remix.

Just make sure it is LED lit, and I prefer to stay around 100 lumens. I like my Black Diamond more than my Princeton Tech.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    I haven't run with a headtorch, but I like my black diamond headtorch with the battery pack on the back. It balances the light out a bit, rather than having teh weight of teh batteries over your forehead. I'd guess that would be better for running. It is for climbing and hiking.