Why havne't I lost any inches?

Options
I've lost 14.2 pounds in the last 4 weeks, however when I take my measurements, they are the same as they were 4 weeks ago. Any idea where this weight loss is coming from or why I am not seeing any measurement changes?

94811.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 14 lbs so far! It can be difficult to get consistent measurements, which might be why you don't seem to be seeing a change. Although.... if they have remained exactly the same, that doesn't seem pretty consistent... Hmm.

The other thought is that some of your weight might have been water weight. Still seems like it should show up on a tape measure, but maybe not. Finally, make sure you are not losing muscle mass. Are you doing weight training exercises to keep your muscle mass up?

I'm sure the tape measure will start to move soon, though. Keep at it. For now, concentrate on feeling better and more energetic because you are leading a healthier lifestyle.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much for inches yet either. I feel like I'm doing everything right and I feel strong/better then I did 24lbs ago but I've only lost maybe 3-4 inches and I know it should be more.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I always figure that at least the first 7 lbs are water weight......I only measure once a week.......Chest (where your bra strap goes), Waist, Hips, and each thigh. However, there are a few of spots that most people don't measure and the weight may be going from there first.....depending on the exercise that you are doing......Your calves, your upper arms, and your breasts. But I wouldn't concern myself with it too much, sometimes we start out losing weight, sometimes just inches, and if we get really lucky we lose both at the same time. Relax and give it some time.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    Congrats!!! 14 pounds in 4 weeks is a lot. It may take a bit longer to see enough of a difference in the measurements. I get measured every 10-12 weeks and see a noticable amount. Are you exercising? That makes a difference too. When my weight loss slows down is usually when my body is adjusting & the measurements change.
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    If you want some easy quick, effective, exercise that will surprise you then go buy the book called BE A LOSER by Greer Childers. You can find it used on Amazon.Really do it daily and you will watch the measurements go down in a week and more so every week. But you must DO IT. I guarantee it works.
    Hang in there, this is the most difficult thing in the world to do. Also pray about every bite you are putting in your mouth.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my first 15 pounds from weird places like...my wrists, ankles, feet, face, neck, ribcage, and lower back. Not much at all from the obvious places like hips and thighs, sadly.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 14 pound loss for sure! I didn't see lost inches until I began doing weight training. If you are not doing it, I highly recommend it. If done right, you will not bulk up as the myths say you will. You will get leaner and more compact:drinker:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my first 15 pounds from weird places like...my wrists, ankles, feet, face, neck, ribcage, and lower back. Not much at all from the obvious places like hips and thighs, sadly.
    As the old addage goes: first on, last off! Hips and thighs are usually the last to go because they've got the most to lose. You're body will burn calories faster from the areas you work out (arms, legs, etc) and the waist will go last because there's just that must more you have to burn. But also keep in mind that working out those areas, you're building muscle so that's compensating for some of the inches you lost by fat. Give it some more time, and you'll notice the inches come right off!
  • michilynn
    michilynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 14 pound loss for sure! I didn't see lost inches until I began doing weight training. If you are not doing it, I highly recommend it. If done right, you will not bulk up as the myths say you will. You will get leaner and more compact:drinker:

This is true. I do strength training 2-3 days a week. I've lost 11 pounds in the last 4 weeks and 2-3 inches from each area I measure. (Natural waist, around belly button, hips)
  • YogaRunner
    Options
    This is true. I do strength training 2-3 days a week. I've lost 11 pounds in the last 4 weeks and 2-3 inches from each area I measure. (Natural waist, around belly button, hips)

Fantastic! What do you do? Do you use a certain program? Go to a gym?
    I see your goal for your wedding date, May 8th. Awesome! Plus, that's my wedding anniversary date :drinker:
    Risa
  • beanface25
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have noticed that my chunky fingers are getting smaller. My ring will spin all the way around so it's on backwards which it use to be very tight, and I've also noticed that right around my collar bone seems less chunky. It's just weird areas to measure and start noticing changes. I exercise almost every day - lots of walking and I dance 4 nights out of the week. It just feels very frustrating to lose weight and not the inches at the same time...I've always seen both changes...but I guess there is a first time for every thing! I guess for now I will just relax about it and enjoy seeing the scale drop! :)

94811.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • YogaRunner
    Options
    Walking and dancing are great cardio workouts. Do you do any resistance or weight training? Just curious. Cardio alone won't get the results you are looking for from what I understand.