So well said! Thanks!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

For me? Those days that I go over (and man, some days I am WAY over) I try to dutifully log it all, and then estimate how much cardio I'll have to do to compensate. If I can't compensate? I say my MFP mea culpas, go to bed at the end of the day and realize that tomorrow is another day and I will do better.

Conscious, accountable eating is a lifetime commitment. Diets are fads that can be ruined. I choose the former. What do you choose?

*Applause* Well said!!!! No lie, I get upset when people ask me if I'm on a diet. It's not a diet... I'm just eating sensibly and exercising just like every fit and lean person in the world. :-)
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Very well said! :) Thanks.
    I always say if I eat that piece of cake thats ok. I'm not going to restrict to certain foods because its a life change not a diet!!!
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I love this!

Well said! :flowerforyou:
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    AGREED! diets never work anyway....
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    LIKE :)
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've seen this phrase a lot recently and wanted to add my thoughts on this turn of phrase as I find that it is really defeatist, especially since it is often accompanied by the lament that "I feel like I should just give up".

Now here's the thing. MFP is a calorie counter, not a diet. There are no built in restrictions, no foods that you have to give up. Sure they have recommended calories, but at the end of the day the worst judgment you'll get from the program is an estimation of how much you'd weigh if you continued eating the same way you did for the next 5 weeks. If you eat 5000 calories in a day (that is not offset by exercise) and it tells you that you could gain 40 lbs? Don't eat that way for the next 5 weeks...you'll survive.

As such, there is no diet to ruin. So you go over calories some days, so what? everyone does! it's called life. There will always be invitations to go out with friends, temptations at the office, birthdays where you don't want to be the kill joy in the corner who makes everyone feel guilty for having a piece of cake. This program is a learning tool. It teaches you to be accountable while you figure out the weight loss techniques that work for you. The only "failure" is not logging everything and pretending that you didn't eat too much. You can lie to yourself, but your hips will know the difference in time!

For me? Those days that I go over (and man, some days I am WAY over) I try to dutifully log it all, and then estimate how much cardio I'll have to do to compensate. If I can't compensate? I say my MFP mea culpas, go to bed at the end of the day and realize that tomorrow is another day and I will do better.

Conscious, accountable eating is a lifetime commitment. Diets are fads that can be ruined. I choose the former. What do you choose?

Exactly! Also? I think I love you. You're so level-headed, that's such a rarity.
  • jitterbugg83
    jitterbugg83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've wondered for a long time. What is that in your profile picture? ????

it's a sun star! it's related to a star fish, we found them in our crab pots when fishing off the coast of BC last summer and I HAD to take this picture (though my husband gagged) they're so cool!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    And then a sensible comment was posted and I was shocked. No self-loathing and no hating on yourself or anyone. LOVE IT.

I totally agree. It has taken a while to get to this head space - hence the success I am having at making myself healthier. More than anything this is helping me to dial back some of my worst excesses as I can see what it is that I am doing when it is all written down on paper in black and white. No one has done this to me - it is the sum of choices I have made. An unhappy 20s involving excess of alcohol, food and depression (nothing most people didn't live) and culminating in living in my parents basement until I got back on my feet gave me some negatives (too much ice cream and not enough social outings) but it also gave me the opportunity to retrain and eventually meet my husband. Sure I got big in the process but I also got love and two kids along the way.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options

it's a sun star! it's related to a star fish, we found them in our crab pots when fishing off the coast of BC last summer and I HAD to take this picture (though my husband gagged) they're so cool!

Knew what it was right away - sooo funny!
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

That's awesome!
  • miracole
    Options
    What about those that want to be elite?

That depends on your definition of elite. Am I elite because I run marathons? Maybe. To do my best doing so means I have to aim to eat 2200 calories a day (believe it or not that's weight loss territory for marathon trainers) and cut out unhealthy fats and snacks in favour of many carb based meals. It's a choice that I make. When I stick to it I have more energy, run harder (and swim harder and bike harder) and don't binge on bad foods. If I don't eat enough during the day I end up binge eating snack foods in the evening which leads to total junk food hangovers. But those days still happen, and I don't sweat them, even if I had 5 months of those days leading up to a marathon I'd still be able to run it, just not at peak performance. And crossing that finish line has always been enough for me!

For those who want to finish faster? the truly elite? they have to be prepared to dig deeper and find the motivation to have those days happen less often. And to them I say kudos!
  • philch4v13
    philch4v13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this I have only been here a little over a week and I have already seen this way to much! Everyday is a new one chuck yesterday behind you and step forward and don't look back.
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options

ha I think everyone who is trying to be live healthier is elite.
  • miracole
    Options

ha I think everyone who is trying to be live healthier is elite.

Love this! great attitude!
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Well said