Gallbladder Surgery on Feb 6

Options
124»

Replies

• amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at 14 years old (had them since I was 10). The worst part of it was getting the one staple removed from my bellybutton cuz it pinched. Really, that pain was worse than after the surgery. The pain of gallstones for years before that was SOOO much worse than getting it done.

I wish you the best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • bunyapine
    bunyapine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its a snap, with that said I had it done by "keyhole" I expect it would be a bit more dramatic with the full monty. It wasa day surgery job and went home that night. Very little discomfort other than forgetting not to move too quick. Post I have had to watch what I eat which fits perfectly with a sound healthy low fat diet, controlled diet. All surgery is a worry but in hindsight not a problem.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago and it didn't cause me to gain any weight. I had a horrible gallbladder attack (2 actually) the night I had mine removed and it was so awful. I thought I was having a heart attack. :(

I'm a few years removed now and I've lost 30 pounds since then. It did indirectly cause me to lose weight because I realized my diet (too much fat) was having an adverse affect on my health even though I wasn't THAT overweight.

I do feel really, really sick when I overeat (like sick not just stuffed) but I had that problem before having the gallbladder removed. The gallbladder aids in fat digestion and I have always had an issue with that, even 20 years ago. I knew what it was but I loved my rich foods!
  • MissyGorman2012
    Options
    Having mine out a week from today. Can't come soon enough. So done with the constant back pain and nausea. Not to mention the fear another gallbladder attack. I won't miss it!
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As was said no two people are the same. DH and I had ours out 10 and 11 years ago. He was back at work the next day although he wasn't supposed to be. I was in quite a bit of pain for a week, but I also had a hernia repair. He still has problems eating anything greasy or chocolate and I have no problems eating anything.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor a year ago, had tests/ultrasound done and she said I had to get my Gallbladder removed. I got scared and didn't go back to the doctor again. Last week I went again because I've been getting pain under my right rib so badly every time I ate.
    The doctor sent me to the ultrasound again, and made an appointment to see a surgeon in March. The ultrasound got back and they said my gallbladder is extremely inflamed, bumped the surgeon appointment to the next DAY... the next day the surgeon said I'll have surgery on Feb 6 to have it removed.
    I'm really scared. Has anyone been through this and could you tell me personal stories or pros and cons? I was also diagnosed with ulcers, which I'm on medication for... I've stopped drinking alcohol and stopped eating fatty foods as well stopped smoking this past week and a bit, I feel great with the occasional mild gallbladder pain. I have heard from people that I shouldn't have it removed, and others saying DO IT. I've heard you can gain weight or lose it after having the surgery done... I do not want to gain weight!! I'm also afraid of scars/scar tissue...

Have it out!

I had issues with mine about 14/15 years ago, and had mine out. The surgeon told me that they would do it through a few tiny cuts UNLESS they could not identify certain ducts, veins, etc. I have a total of 4 scars--2 tiny ones on my side, then 2 that are about 1.5 in long above my belly button and IN my belly button.

I did NOT have any weight changes directly as a result of my surgery.
  • dorihinkelmann
    Options
    i just had my gall bladder removed laposcopically to include having a hernia repaired...this all in the last 2 1/2 weeks...i have 4 1inch incisions 1 thru my belly button which healed faster than the other 3...1 incision is at the top of my rib cage...2nd 1 is 1/2 way down n the 3rd is at the lowest part of my ribs...i went to my doctor yesterday for a post op exam and m doing great...i do have limitations tho...light house work...n now no lifting over 10 pounds for the next 3 1/2 weeks yet.(was 6 wks)...i continue to smoke n i had heard the same about gaining weight but i have been with MFP for 1 week now n have lost 2 1/2 pounds...i have had to watch what i eat closer now...u can add me as a friend so u can see my food diary if u like...

this experience has taught me to look closer at food labels n research foods i can n shouldnt have...i was home the next day and back to work 2 days later...like others i much prefer the little scars n having to watch my food intake than the pain of the gall bladder attacks...mine was done on n emergency situation...
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i didnt gain weight after i had mine removed. the pain was not bad at all either. i recovered very quickly.
  • slb0690
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago when I was in high school - no scarring at all, because they were able to remove it through 4 tiny incisions through laparoscopy. I was out of the hospital the next day, and within a week I felt great enough to dance at my Winter Formal. There was no weight gain (or loss); and I felt much better afterwards (I had several gallstones). There was some adjustment to fatty foods, but within a few months I was back to my regular diet. Nothing to be afraid of!!
  • zcostilla
    zcostilla Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just went through this. The day before Thanksgiving I developed pancreatitis because my gall bladder went bad and I didn't know it. I spent 16 days in the hospital because of complications and lost 30 pounds. It takes 3 months for the pancreas to go back to normal. Unfortunately while I was still recovering I had another pancreatitis attack and was rehospitalized again. I missed 51 days of work and just had outpatient surgery yesterday to clean out the pancreatic duct.

Once your gall bladder is out you'll need to make some dietary changes, but those should also help you lose weight. I have to eat 6 or more small meals, and I get full quickly, so my caloric intake is way down and my metabolism has improved.
  • stina412
    Options
    I had gallstones for 4 years before I had my gallbladder removed. I felt like a totally new person after it was gone, no more pain YAY!
  • ihavehope2013
    Options
    Girlfriend, sounds like they should have already removed your gallbladder! I had to have emergency surgery in 2004...I was having cold chills, throwing up and running 104* fever for 4 days. I was in the hospital for 4 days and from what I have been told, it's an in and out surgery. My doctor did not inform me, but I started having issues with certain foods that I ate...MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLOSE TO A TOILET! This finally started letting up within the past year. I also started taking something for heartburn, it helped with the above issue. Cramping, OMGoodness, it's was 50 times worse than menstrual cramps. You will need to eat bland foods for quite some time.
    I went from 189 lbs down to 122 in 6 months! Size 16 down to a 4<
    I have never worn size before in my life!
    I kept it off for about 1 1/2 years, and then I started slowly gaining it all back and here I am now, 186.
    I wish you all of the luck with your surgery, and please ask your doctor questions about days, weeks, months and years after your surgery. Know what to expect!
  • RealSteelRobot
    Options
    I had my surgery today. I'm still groggy,. I'm in extreme pain, I can hardly walk or talk. Everyone I know said I will be up and about right after but I feel like I will be bed ridden for a few days. The weird thing is I'm in so much pain, yet I also feel SO much relief at the same time, I notice a difference right away. Thank god for my ipad mini, it's the perfect toy to play with while being sick, nice and light and it can keep me entertained! Thanks everyone for your support and information, I'm VERY pleased with my decision, I hope it stays this way. Anyone have after care tips to feel better faster? I can't stand eating these Tylonol 3's for pain as it drys my mouth and really makes me feel high, but they do work. I wish I could have stayed in the hospital longer but they practically thew me out,,, I started crying because of the pain and the nurse told me to grow up.... Smh.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have stayed in the hospital longer but they practically thew me out,,, I started crying because of the pain and the nurse told me to grow up.... Smh.
    What a biotch. It took me a full week to not hurt anymore and I couldn't take Tylenol 3 because it makes me sick. Glad you're on the mend.