Passover Ideas

Options
Hello! My family and I observe Passover by not eating items with wheat in them (except for matzah). This is usually a great time for my diet as I can finally walk past cake, etc. and not be tempted in the slightest... I find willpower I didn't know I had!

Anyway, I usually incorporate a lot of whole grains in my diet (brown rice, whole wheat couscous, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat bread) and those are all off limits during Passover. For dinners, I just stick with protein and veggies or sweet potatoes, and for lunches I will usually eat a salad. The tough part is breakfast. I almost ALWAYS have oatmeal, whole wheat toast, etc. with some protein. During Passover, I usually just eat matzah with peanut butter, but this is really not great for the diet.

Any suggestions for wheat free breakfast ideas that will be okay for passover? I've posted the general guidelines below for those of you that aren't familiar with this custom. :-)

Guidelines: We are forbidden from eating "chametz", which includes anything made from the five major grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats and spelt) that has not been completely cooked within 18 minutes after coming into contact with water. Orthodox Jews of Ashkenazic background also avoid rice, corn, peanuts, and legumes (beans) as if they were chametz. I do not do this, but others might so I welcome those suggestions as well.

Replies

• Mommy_x3
    Mommy_x3 Posts: 48
    Options
    What about a fruit/yogurt smoothie? Egg white omlets?
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    banana and peanut butter
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit and toasted almonds or walnuts. If you throw some cinnamon into it, that'd make it yummy, too!
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Fried Matzah is always good. I know we see the work "fried" and freak out, but it's not that bad.

I soak one piece matzah in water, until it is kind of mushy. Then drain and squeeze out as much water as possible.
    Then I whip 1 egg and 1 egg white , then add to matzah. In a pan sprayed with cooking spray, I just scramble them like I would eggs.

I top with cinnamon and splenda.

I don't have exact calorie info., but I figure it would be about 210 for the whole thing.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oh, the fried matzah sounds good. I've seen matzah brie recipes, which are similar, but I've not seen it with the egg white option. I need to try this!

The other ideas are great as well. I'm just so used to having granola with my yogurt, toast with my eggs, etc. i've got to cut my carb habits!