need help to stop eating at bedtime

Options
Hey all - I have gotton myself into a bad habit of eating a meal or just snacking right before bedtime. I usually get to bed between 11:30pm - 12:30am, and often feel myself getting hungry around 11am. I tried to stop watching TV before bed, but I want to eat when reading as well.

How can I break this very bad habit??????

Thanks

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep?
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water instead then if you still feel hunger eat a healthy protien.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes a difference as long as you have a snack planned into your day and it is a light snack. It may help you sleep better. How many calories are we talking about?
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it, that is what I had to do!Just have the will power for one night and the next night it is much easier! Good luck! :o))
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I have gotton myself into a bad habit of eating a meal or just snacking right before bedtime. I usually get to bed between 11:30pm - 12:30am, and often feel myself getting hungry around 11am. I tried to stop watching TV before bed, but I want to eat when reading as well.

Thanks

If you are not overeating for the day, and if eating late doesn't interfere with sleep or make you feel awful/etc, then it is not a bad habit and you can continue doing it.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options

Thanks

Don't break the habit, just leave 300 or so calories left over at the end of the night so you can snack.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Move about 150 calories from you day to those times and eat right before you close your eyes.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Does it affect your sleep pattern?
  • cath2891
    Options
    I find sometimes if i brush my teeth i don't want to eat. You could try that?:smile:
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    save enough calories for your bedtime snack. contrary to what I used to believe, I have found that it really doesn't matter when I eat, as long as I don't over eat...I have a snack almost every evening and I've been losing just fine.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Don't break the habit, just leave 300 or so calories left over at the end of the night so you can snack.

How is 300 calories a snack?
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i agree with tek.. i always have a snack before i go to sleep around 1 am... i usually have a few strawberries, or some unsalted chips with hummus, or an occassional chocolate chip cookie or two! but as long as i plan for it, and i dont go over my allotted calories for the day, i dont worry about it.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you aren't over your calorie intake for the day why can't you have a healthy snack?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    EAT
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to stop it? Are you eating way too much by the end of the night?

I always need to eat a little something at night, too. I usually need to eat some type of snack between 8-9pm. I deliberately leave available calories for this. If you know you need to eat a bedtime snack, plan for it through out your day.

If you dont have any calories left by that time, like other people said drink water. Tea is also zero calories. I usually will have coffee if I dont have many calories left for the night. My coffee is only 10 calories a cup.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a few crackers and that helps. Then I faceplant the pillow and call it a day!

As an aside, I recently read that more sleep can result in more weight loss -- ideally 8 hours. I also go to bed around that time but get up at 6am-7am. I'd like to go to bed earlier!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Have a diet coke
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why is it a bad habit? Bedtime snacks help me sleep better.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep?

This works surprisingly well sometimes.

I also tell myself breakfast is going to taste great tomorrow and why bother eating again when it's almost time to go to sleep anyway?