What do you consider a good workout (calories burned)?

Options
13»

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I feel afterwards. I routinely do 2 pole classes back to back, which burns about 600 calories. Whereas if I do Jillian Michaels' Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism I burn around 430, but feel like I'm about to die, so that one feels like the better workout. I have done both on the same day before, which is just ridiculousness.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    any workout where ive burnt 300 or more calories. just to get me back on track for the day (calorie consumption-wise ha ha%Pr

me too.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If I really, really do not want to go to the gym, I tell myself I can leave as soon as I've burned off 250 calories, so in my mind that's my "minimum or it's not even worth going" number. 300-400 is my preferred number, and I feel super awesome if I burn over 500. I don't have time issues to worry about as I don't work, and I can easily fit chores/laundry/cleaning/errands around a gym session. So it's down to motivation for me - something I've been lacking for quite a few weeks!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets me on my feet and active.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have to go with the minority here...for me it's not about calories burned....mainly because most of those are just estimates anyway...regardless of where you get them...and if it's machines then yah way over.

in 45mins of lfiting heavy I might burn 155 calories but I just squated my bodyweight +25-30lbs 3x5 and benched 130lbs same thing etc.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't track calories burned but they do show up on MFP though. I can have a good 200 calorie workout (Lifting Weights) but a good cardio workout is anywhere from 500-5000 calories depending on what I do.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What do you consider a good workout caloriewise?

1,000 an hour, or it's just a warmup.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If i do my outside 4 mile jog I burn anywhere from 500 to 550 calories. When i get back to my office (I go during my lunch break, and yes, come back sweaty as hell lol) i'm sweating, exhausted, got my *kitten* kicked, the whole works. When I go to the gym, I burn at the most 400 calories because i'm on a time limit so I can get back to work in time. 400 is if I totally kicked some *kitten* in the 45 minutes I was there.

So for me a good super workout is about 500 to 550 calories.

What do you consider a good workout caloriewise?
    I don't workout for the sole purpose of burning calories. That's icing on the cake. I workout to improve my fitness levels. If I can run farther and a little faster and meet my long run or fitness goal for the week (this week will be a 20_ miler but I do not log all my runs) than that's good for me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't gauge a good workout based on calorie burn, but by how my body got worked.

Yesterday I did 40 minutes of weights, some body weight work and a bit of cardio and burned 224 cals. It was an awesome workout that works my muscles and helps me build strength.

Today I spent 47 minutes with a combination of running, sprinting and walking with my Zombies, Run! app for 3.25 miles, and burned 411 calories. Also a good workout, beneficial in different ways than the workout I did yesterday.

Tomorrow it's back to weights, and likely a lower calorie burn, but as I said - no less a good workout just because the burn is lower.
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    I don't workout for a calorie burn.

I workout because I want my stomach to tone as it goes down and to be strong. I lift weights to help with this. I walk, jog, and run a lot because even if I'm slow, I can notice my legs getting firmer and more shapely.

But if I don't sweat and don't feel tired, it's not a good workout for me.

If I don't walk/jog daily, it's a bad day in my mind.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    I consider a good workout for me to be at least 600 calories. I typically burn 600-800 calories staying at the gym for 75-90 min/ day with most of that being cardio (running/biking/elliptical). I work out 7 days a week. I am also not on a super time crunch (I work full time but I'm on summer vaca from university)... when I get back to school and working I will prob aim for 500 calories.

But I agree that the only bad workout is the one you didn't do! Its what works best for you :)
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It looks like I am going to be way under "the norm" here. I consider ANY workout a good one. Before I joined MFP, my workouts were sporadic, at best. Since joining, I am pretty sure I have had some kind of workout every single day. Some days it is riding my stationary bike for 15 or 20 minutes at low intensity. Most days it is for 30 or more minutes at vigorous intensity, burning about 300 calories. Yesterday, I just walked at lunchtime for 30 minutes, and since I had a pretty low calorie day, I didn't do anything else, but still felt great that I had gotten that walk in. So I'm more about getting something in every day than burning a ton of calories each day. For me, I'd never be able to keep it up if I tried to burn 500 or more calories each day, so I like my current "life style change". :ohwell:

This is the same for me. Any workout I do is a good one. I have been inconsistent in my workouts this year.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I aim for 400 cals each cardio session. (using Fitbit cals...not machine, cause they are usually totally wrong)
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am now hugely envious of all of you. ;) I guess I don't do enough cardio to compete, but I would feel like I was absolutely winning at life if I ever hit 500+ calories. I don't have access to a gym or much equipment, so my workouts are usually 30ish mins of running, 30ish minutes of mostly body weight strength training, and then another 20 or so of either lower impact aerobics, yoga, pilates, etc.
    I've never been a natural athlete so I will treasure every minute I exercise and every calorie burned- I'm just proud of myself to DOING something. lol
    (srsly though.... ENVY)